Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there is a high perf alternator on the market for the 5.7 300C?
I had a 250 AMP alternator on one of my other cars, I wans running HID lights, Massive sound system, aux lights, leds, and a bunch of other stuff..
anyway, I had a 250 AMP alternator on it and had no power dips or flickering whatsoever, even with the ac on.

I have the Sound Group II option -got rid of the stock Sub...

I'm switching the box in my 300 (from 3 MTX 10,s to 2 JL audio 15's)

(also have under carriage Led kit, massaging seats, -adding HID + Halo kit)

Audio upgrade set up is:
2- 5.5 Eclipse in front door pockets (total of 4-2 in each)
6.5 component front floor kicker panel
(clearance 4 e brake = pain in the a$$)
1 - 6x9 Eclipse in rear door pockets

I would luv to get a BOLT ON 250 AMP Alternator (though I'd settle for a 200 Amp Alt)

I found some universal fit ones but don't feel like buying brackets and messing with wiring, even if it would be a one wire conversion...
Any help would make me very happy, LOL.
Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Second alternator and battery is the way to go ,although more mods are needed.Cars main wiring could not handle 250 amps and the PCM which controls the alt. field circuit would be at risk for over load. There is no easy 1 wire (1 alt ) solution.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hate to disagree with you but I know there are alternators out there for this application, I'm just looking for a direct bolt on.

I've run a 250 amp alt on other vehicles and they were fine, I've put in 190Amp one wire alts into PT CRUISERS and they were fine.

You can't tell me the wiring is better on the pt than on the 300.

The listed amperage on these alts is hardly ever their operating amperes but their peak amperes, I am sure running a 250A alt on a 300 would be fine as long as the rotor and regulators run the same or near the same rating.

the pcm and voltage regulators control the alternator output by sending power to the rotor field. The alternators amperage never goes thought the pcm itself.

The problem is is in the when changing to a high output alternator is the amperage draw of the rotor.

The pcm and other components have a field amperage rating and because they have direct contact with the rotor so you have to keep the amperage draw of the rotor in mind
If the amperage draw of the rotor is greater than the rating for the
pcm and voltage regulators the then the set up will fail.

I've done high perf stereo mods for a long time now, the electrical stuff I can really get down on.
You figure be a girl I'd be better at shopping for this stuff, LOL....
So I'm still open for suggestions if anyone can help me out...otherwise I'm going to have to break down and buy oe get someone to make me some brackets..
. :lick:.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Anyone know if there is a high perf alternator on the market for the 5.7 300C?
I had a 250 AMP alternator on one of my other cars, I wans running HID lights, Massive sound system, aux lights, leds, and a bunch of other stuff..
anyway, I had a 250 AMP alternator on it and had no power dips or flickering whatsoever, even with the ac on.

I have the Sound Group II option -got rid of the stock Sub...

I'm switching the box in my 300 (from 3 MTX 10,s to 2 JL audio 15's)

(also have under carriage Led kit, massaging seats, -adding HID + Halo kit)

Audio upgrade set up is:
2- 5.5 Eclipse in front door pockets (total of 4-2 in each)
6.5 component front floor kicker panel
(clearance 4 e brake = pain in the a$$)
1 - 6x9 Eclipse in rear door pockets

I would luv to get a BOLT ON 250 AMP Alternator (though I'd settle for a 200 Amp Alt)

I found some universal fit ones but don't feel like buying brackets and messing with wiring, even if it would be a one wire conversion...
Any help would make me very happy, LOL.
Thanks
I just found this place that states they have a 240 High Output Alternator. Here's a link, look at #12....
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/highamp.html

Here is what it says:
12. 240 AMP ALTERNATOR Chrysler 300 & Dodge Magnum 2.7, 3.5, 5.7, 6.1L 2005-UP
629.95 IN STOCK! CALL TO ORDER 1-888-334-2632 OR

No link for more info so I just sent an inquiry about it. Kinda expensive at $629.95. Ouch

Gary

·
Registered
78 Posts
Might be able to help

Email this guy Dominick Iraggi ( [email protected] ) He makes custom alt. I'm about to get one for my 2.7 300. He has them for the 3.5 so I'm sure he has them for the C. This is his prices for the 2.7 just to give you an ideal of what it may cost.

180 $479
200 $499
220 $519
240 $539
260 $559
280 $579
300 $599

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kewl, thanks guys... Haven't been here for a while so I just checked this...I'll check both of these out. if you get one before I do let me know how your car behaves with one of these...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Email this guy Dominick Iraggi ( [email protected] ) He makes custom alt. I'm about to get one for my 2.7 300. He has them for the 3.5 so I'm sure he has them for the C. This is his prices for the 2.7 just to give you an ideal of what it may cost.

180 $479
200 $499
220 $519
240 $539
260 $559
280 $579
300 $599
Do you have a website for them? I sent an email to him so hope to get some info.

Thanx,
Gary

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just found this place that states they have a 240 High Output Alternator. Here's a link, look at #12....
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/highamp.html

Here is what it says:
12. 240 AMP ALTERNATOR Chrysler 300 & Dodge Magnum 2.7, 3.5, 5.7, 6.1L 2005-UP
629.95 IN STOCK! CALL TO ORDER 1-888-334-2632 OR

No link for more info so I just sent an inquiry about it. Kinda expensive at $629.95. Ouch

Gary
I just got this answer from Nation Starter & Alternator,Tractor Auto,Marine,Truck,Small Engine:

We do make a 250 amp direct bolt in plug up alternator for 629.95. I'll be out of the shop for the next couple days for the birth of my Son. Let me know if you'd like to order this alternator. We also have dual kits for the 300C for 575.00- This is the kit with a 140 amp alternator. It does require an experienced installer to get this in but it does work well. Let me know if you have questions by e-mail.
Thank you, Adam

Adam Nations - Sales/ Technician
Nations Starter & Alternator
2210 Broadway
Cape Girardeau, Mo 63701
Ph. (573) 334-2632
Fax: (573) 332-0588
web site: Nation Starter & Alternator,Tractor Auto,Marine,Truck,Small Engine

I am waiting for an answer from the other person (Dominick Iraggi) referred to us. Hope his prices are better. It would be trick to have the dual kit alternator setup but don't want to go through the extra cost to have it installed. Wonder why it cannot be installed by myself if it is a complete kit???

Later,
Gary

·
Registered
202 Posts
for those prices wouldnt it better to just get the second battery.....i picked a kinetik HC1800 for 130.00 on ebay
I have an aftermarket amp system (approx 2500 watts with probably 2000 rms actually running.) and my lights dim when I turn up the bass. I have upgraded the wiring(Ot ga) and grounds and installed an extra Kinetic 800 for the amps with Ot ga. I did not upgrade the positive wire from the alternator to the battery. I still have the dimming light problem. Not quite as bad but when I crank it up but I still get the dimming. The Kinetic 800 has enough power to support the system I have, at least on paper.

I have been reading this forum for a couple of years and everyone has a diferent way of solving this problem, but unfortunatly, people don't usually mention the "real" power of the amps. I remember reading one guy who had 4500 watts of power and all he did was a a ground strap from the battery and solved the dimming problem. Somehow I doubt he has 4500 watts of power and this solved all the dimming. Lucky if it did. Others, I have read have never completely solved the problem after adding a couple of batteries and doing the "Big 3". Then there are the ones in between.

I am almost at the next step of trying to solve this dimming...

Gary

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you upgrade your amp it will solve any light flicker problem related to your stereo mods, uping your wiring was a good move too. happy cruising... turn up the sound and let it ride...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got an answer from the Dominick guy:

All are a direct bolt on.

180 $479
200 $499
220 $519
240 $539
260 $559
280 $579
300 $599

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Dominick Iraggi

Seems my pocket can afford this guy better, just want to finish the positive wire from the alternator to the battery first.

Requested a website again from him. He didn't answer it in the first email.

Gary

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an aftermarket amp system (approx 2500 watts with probably 2000 rms actually running.) and my lights dim when I turn up the bass. I have upgraded the wiring(Ot ga) and grounds and installed an extra Kinetic 800 for the amps with Ot ga. I did not upgrade the positive wire from the alternator to the battery. I still have the dimming light problem. Not quite as bad but when I crank it up but I still get the dimming. The Kinetic 800 has enough power to support the system I have, at least on paper.

I have been reading this forum for a couple of years and everyone has a diferent way of solving this problem, but unfortunatly, people don't usually mention the "real" power of the amps. I remember reading one guy who had 4500 watts of power and all he did was a a ground strap from the battery and solved the dimming problem. Somehow I doubt he has 4500 watts of power and this solved all the dimming. Lucky if it did. Others, I have read have never completely solved the problem after adding a couple of batteries and doing the "Big 3". Then there are the ones in between.

I am almost at the next step of trying to solve this dimming...

Gary
Upgraded the ground strap only? Hahaha, what a joke! I've got 2 separate runs of 1/0 JUST TO GROUND! Hahaha.. Good laugh though!

Anybody????

·
Registered
202 Posts
I inadvertently solved the headlight dimming

[FONT=&quot]History: I already had upgraded the wiring(Ot ga) and grounds and installed an extra Kinetic Gel Cell for the amps with Ot ga. I did not upgrade the positive wire from the alternator to the battery. I still had the dimming light problem. I just decided to live with it as it was minimal dimming and I don't drive at night as much as I used too. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]About a year and a half ago, I updated my low beams and fog lights to after market HID's. The first time I drove at night, which was about 4-5 months later, I realized I had no more dimming problems.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

·
Registered
1 Posts
[FONT=&quot]History: I already had upgraded the wiring(Ot ga) and grounds and installed an extra Kinetic Gel Cell for the amps with Ot ga. I did not upgrade the positive wire from the alternator to the battery. I still had the dimming light problem. I just decided to live with it as it was minimal dimming and I don't drive at night as much as I used too. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]About a year and a half ago, I updated my low beams and fog lights to after market HID's. The first time I drove at night, which was about 4-5 months later, I realized I had no more dimming problems.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
hope it worked for the taillights mine didnt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts