Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at tire rack and the prices for 265 30 R22s versus 265 40 R22s. the 40 series tires are cheaper. has anyone gone with 40 series on their 22s?

• they'd be taller, which means there's probably less of a chance of the rim being bent going over a pot hole (as opposed to a shorter aspect ratio tire).
  • also, i bet ride would be better because the tires have more cushion and probably a less-stiff sidewall.
  • another thing; they'd fill up the wheelwells of my vehicle more fully(from a cosmetic standpoint) so i wouldn't have to drop the suspension to make the wheelwells look full.
the only thing that i'm worried about are possible clearence issues.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
they wont work. they are too tall.. you would have to grind the bolt down. i still think they will rub. i wouldnt recomend it. go with a 265 35 22 .

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so we have no confirmed cases whether or not this has ever been tried?

i assume the bolt you speak of is the one on the suspension that people sometimes grind down when they run 24s. if my memory serves me correctly, that's a matter of the rim being too wide (many people do 24x9.5 or 24x10s), not the wheel being too tall, but i could be wrong.

the 35 series has a diameter of 29.3 inches and a sidewall height of 3.7 inches (i'm just doing the math here, some tires varry slightly even though they say they're the same size) whereas the 40 series has a diameter of exactly one inch more. that's a half an inch of rubber extra, going from 3.7 to 4.2 inches on each side of the wheel. i'm talking unsprung measurements of course. would that really be enough for them to not fit or necessitate grinding down the suspension bolt in question?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't know of anybody that has tried this before. Here are some things I find to be true.

1-The radius for 265/40 22 tires are +/- 15.17" and 255/30 24's are 15.01". You have to grind the bolt down for the 255/30 24 no matter what, stock suspension or no.

2-Ride would not be better. Simply because the 265/40's are made for Sport Trucks. Have you seen the load rating on those tires? They are all 106, which means each tire has a load rating of 2094lbs! All 4 tires combined have a total load bearing weight of 8376! Do you think that means that they are going to have a "soft" sidewall? The ride will not be as smooth as a 255/30 24 ever.

·
Registered
697 Posts
i assume the bolt you speak of is the one on the suspension that people sometimes grind down when they run 24s. if my memory serves me correctly, that's a matter of the rim being too wide (many people do 24x9.5 or 24x10s), not the wheel being too tall, but i could be wrong.
quote]

Here is a shot of the bolt you have to grind down to make the 24's fit. Has nothing to do with the tires being to wide.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very interesting. thank you taylor motorsports. i thought that bolt was elsewhere, possibly contacting the inner sidewall of a wider tire.

i didn't think about the load rating of the tire. i just thought that the sidewall would be less-stiff on a tire that's taller.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the TIS 03 22x9.5 5x114.3 offset +18 I phoned discount tire and ask what tire will fit without rubbing they said you can get the 265 30 22 and thats all they will put on the car. Then I phoned Les shwab tire and they garanteed that the265 35 22 are the best and they wont rub! Anyway I am stuck because I can get the toyos p4 255 35 22 for a amazing price right now I dont know what to do I have till friday to order them PLEASE HELP ME I am lost!! I ask one guy at the shop he said the toyo 255 35 22 will mess up you shifting and gas milage the best way to go is 265 35 22 but hold on a half of a inch makes that much of a differnce!!!! HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just dont fing KNOW!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts