Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have stock 19" tires on my AWD.

I am looking to upgrade it to 275/55R20 but not sure if it will cause me any problems?

If it will cause a problem what is the maximum that I should go? ( maybe 265/50r20 or 245/50R20? )

Thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
guys sorry for the bump

I am about to get a 255/50R20 tire (Pirelli Scorpion). Will it make any problems on AWD? I kept the height like stock 235/55R19

And looking to get rims with it so I am about to get Boss 328 wheels with offset 5x114.3 +38 , the guy from the store said they will fit the AWD but just wanted to ask?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just put some 245/45/20 with 20x8.5 wheels on my AWD. I don't have any trouble and I'm flush w/ the fender line.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Emir

·
Registered
362 Posts
To start with the bolt pattern for the wheels is wrong. Need 5x115 also check the diameter of the center hole for the wheel that it is correct as this determines how round things will be.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To start with the bolt pattern for the wheels is wrong. Need 5x115 also check the diameter of the center hole for the wheel that it is correct as this determines how round things will be.
exactly what I told to him..

He said,

[but the 5.114.3 +38 could be okay. The original bolt pattern is 5x115 but, with the hub rings, every 300 AWD we've done was perfect with the Boss328 5x114.3]

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did weeks of research and several different wheels to come up with my tire/rim combination and I strongly suggest you do the same before you make a purchase. I run 275/40/20 tires on 20x8.5 rims up front and the same size tires on 20x10 rims on the rear. The stagger was a personal choice after trying the 20x8.5 inch wheel on all four corners. I wanted a flush look that 'fit' the lines of the car and the stagger was the way to go with my wheel/tire combination. be careful about the offset as well as I found identical specs from different wheel manufacturers (20x8.5 +40 as an example) offered a fit or no-fit scenario with regards to the control arm clearance.

The 275/55/20 tire you are looking at is way too big at almost 32 inches tall, with the factory 235/55/19 tire being just a shade over 29 inches tall. There just isn't enough room near the control arm bolt to clear that size tire, and I'm sure you'll hear that from lots of other owners. the 275/40/20 I use is 28.7 inches or so tall, just slightly smaller than the factory size. That's my suggestion and getting anything bigger in the front wheel wells will rest on your ability to find a rim with adequate offset that doesn't rub. Good luck and please keep me posted if you do!

I also suggest staying away from a 5x114.3 wheel and stick to the correct bolt pattern of 5x115. We all know they come close enough to fit but why risk your safety for a few bucks?

Heere are a few pics of my ride with the staggered setup. Sucks to rotate them since I'll have to dismount and remount but it's a hell of a look. A bit more poke than I expected originally but I'm starting to like the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also suggest staying away from a 5x114.3 wheel and stick to the correct bolt pattern of 5x115. We all know they come close enough to fit but why risk your safety for a few bucks?
Thanks for the input. I believe 255/50r20's are good choice for me.

And for this quote, why it is a risk of safety to put 5x114.3+38?

I am asking since I don't know and the rims are not cheap at all at least for me.

·
Registered
362 Posts

I am asking since I don't know and the rims are not cheap at all at least for me.
on the 114.3 that bolt circle is .028" different from 115mm if the wheel center hole is the correct size it wont matter a lot as that is what will mount the wheel and keep it concentric with the center of the axle. If not then somewhere there has to be a bunch of slop in the wheel nuts to allow the difference in the 2 bolt patterns and if there is and the wheel bore is sloppy then you run the risk of the wheel not running true and could be as much as .028" out of round and it will be difficult to maintain wheel balance. In my view if a wheel has more that .005" runout in it I would reject it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another issue with running a bigger wheel/tire combo is the end result looks like a 4x4 ready to go off-road racing.
Going from 19" to 20" is going to look like off road? Just a small change

on the 114.3 that bolt circle is .028" different from 115mm if the wheel center hole is the correct size it wont matter a lot as that is what will mount the wheel and keep it concentric with the center of the axle. If not then somewhere there has to be a bunch of slop in the wheel nuts to allow the difference in the 2 bolt patterns and if there is and the wheel bore is sloppy then you run the risk of the wheel not running true and could be as much as .028" out of round and it will be difficult to maintain wheel balance. In my view if a wheel has more that .005" runout in it I would reject it.
Thanks a lot. I might just give up on this. Everyone says smt different and its really hard to find a rim for Chrysler in Canada specially if you run Awd. I found rims for my 4matic benz so easily I had at least 20 options but now I cant find a single one for my 300.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Going from 19" to 20" is going to look like off road? Just a small change
It will look like a 4x4 if you have a net upsize. If you increase the wheel size but go down an equal amount in profile, you will be alright. Otherwise, you should consider lowering the car as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts

There are lots of wheels out there that will fit the AWD application with the correct 5x115 bolt pattern but do your part and do some research (wheels and tires involve a lot of money to learn by mistakes). I'm skeptical that a 20x8.5 wheel with +38 offset would have fit within your front wheel wells without clearance issues and I'm all but positive it wouldn't have worked with a 275/55/20 tire mounted on it. Your tire choice is nearly 2 inches taller than the factory height, and that's asking for trouble.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
There are lots of wheels out there that will fit the AWD application with the correct 5x115 bolt pattern but do your part and do some research (wheels and tires involve a lot of money to learn by mistakes). I'm skeptical that a 20x8.5 wheel with +38 offset would have fit within your front wheel wells without clearance issues and I'm all but positive it wouldn't have worked with a 275/55/20 tire mounted on it. Your tire choice is nearly 2 inches taller than the factory height, and that's asking for trouble.
Thanks again, with the guidance that I got from this thread and the guy who sells the mags,
I have canceled the 255/50R20 tires since they will be too big for my car.

I am now searching for 255/40R20 or 255/45R20 max. Its all about the budget of course :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
362 Posts
You could also check wheels that fit Maserati Quattroprorte or Ghibli as they are very similar cars believe the bolt pattern is the same but not sure.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Checked the Maserati wheel and it to is a 114.3 bolt pattern but the bigger problem is it is 67.1 bore size and the Chrysler wheel is 71.1 bore sooo I would say that is not going to fit. Also seems some Ford wheels are 114.3 bolt pattern and about 70.mm bore so that is closer and if the wheel had sloppy machined tolerances it would probably fit but I personally would not use it. Back to looking at 115 bolt pattern wheels which have a lot less choices.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Checked the Maserati wheel and it to is a 114.3 bolt pattern but the bigger problem is it is 67.1 bore size and the Chrysler wheel is 71.1 bore sooo I would say that is not going to fit. Also seems some Ford wheels are 114.3 bolt pattern and about 70.mm bore so that is closer and if the wheel had sloppy machined tolerances it would probably fit but I personally would not use it. Back to looking at 115 bolt pattern wheels which have a lot less choices.
Yes I checked after u said and they don't fit.

I think if I can't find a rim in my budget, I will go for 255/45R19 tires and just use my stock rims on it for now.. At least tires will look like what I wanted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts