Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Has anybody got that particular powerplant on their 2011 and plus 300C? What do you think about it? Any trouble with that one?
I'm reading about the consumption, acceleration, etc., and they seem to be pretty good... HOWEVER, it's not the sturdy and rugged 3.0 V6 workhorse from Mercedes, it's a VM unit and their products from the 1990s had MUCH to be desired.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
That was then and this is now. Chrysler won't slap in an engine with inherent failure points. They can't afford to. There are millions of the VM diesels out there in varying levels of service, owner care and mileage. You can expect someone to complain about the engine simply because there are those who do NOT maintain their vehicles properly and thereby feel betrayed, somehow, for the poor performance. It's not the engine, rather, it's shame on the owner for abusing the unit.

·
Registered
773 Posts
That was then and this is now. Chrysler won't slap in an engine with inherent failure points. They can't afford to. There are millions of the VM diesels out there in varying levels of service, owner care and mileage. You can expect someone to complain about the engine simply because there are those who do NOT maintain their vehicles properly and thereby feel betrayed, somehow, for the poor performance. It's not the engine, rather, it's shame on the owner for abusing the unit.
That might have been true about Chrysler but this IS Fiat we're talking about. They say that it's the same engine "that will be used" in the forthcoming Maserati 4 x 4, if they had said it's the same engine "that has been used" then I would have more confidence.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
If Chrysler goes under, FIAT will follow. Right now, Chrysler is in the position of being the major bottom line contributor to Fiat revenue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, the other thing that is worrying me is that I do "cold runs" mostly, i.e. crank it up, go 1 mile to the mall, post office, etc., shut it down, leave for an hour, start and go home the same distance, since I work at home. Longer runs in my case are 40 miles or 200 miles, which is not frequent (weekends only). AFAIK cold runs are not good with modern CRD with variable turbines, and especially the DPF burnout. I don't wanna gunk up the particle filter or end up with a repair only due to my driving necessities.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
I totally agree. Some folks would scoff at owners who thoroughly warm up their engines before they proceed on their way but in your case, I'd highly recommend you do just to insure that the emissions systems are warm and do their job, otherwise some nasty particulate deposits can result. This issue can be mitigated somewhat by a longer drive at a regular interval just so everything gets up to full temperature and can burn off that which was left behind during prior use.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If Chrysler goes under, FIAT will follow. Right now, Chrysler is in the position of being the major bottom line contributor to Fiat revenue.
I was surprised that Fiat were confident enough to take on Chrysler. They've been struggling for years. If Mercedes couldn't do it then IMHO Fiat have no chance.

However, they have just opened their new China factory and have good sales in Europe where Chrysler sales are very minor.

Also, they are throwing cash about - God knows where they're getting it from - at the moment. Don't forget they've just taken on Maserati.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had the same engine in my 2013 Jeep and can say that its a good engine, not as much low down torque as the Merc engine but still enough, I had mine mapped by Celtic Tuning and it was making near 300 bhp and in the Jeep was doing 0-60 in low 6 seconds. I did 24k with no problems at all.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
I was surprised that Fiat were confident enough to take on Chrysler. They've been struggling for years. If Mercedes couldn't do it then IMHO Fiat have no chance.

However, they have just opened their new China factory and have good sales in Europe where Chrysler sales are very minor.

Also, they are throwing cash about - God knows where they're getting it from - at the moment. Don't forget they've just taken on Maserati.
Admittedly, Chrysler was struggling and the "Merger of Equals" :pat: never did quite gel as was planned or touted. But, some MB technology began to migrate to the MOPAR line and that was an improvement.

Most folks forget about Cerebus Capital Management and their despicable management of Chrysler after they purchased the group from MB. They were in it for the money (they are a capital investment firm after all) and while they would state they provide operational expertise and flexibility, their ownership of Chrysler proved to be a disaster.

Fiat saw an opportunity and some potential. Many would say that Fiat was strong armed into buying a share of Chrysler from the US Government (the bankruptcy caretaker), however, Sergio Marchionne is no fool. He would not have invested Fiat's money in such a manner nor for an already failed enterprise. Remember, Chrysler possessed significant assets and marketable products which could translate into revenue and profit.

And it must be noted that Fiat decided to increase it's stake in Chrysler (actually, let's just insert Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram here) as things improved at CJDR.

And now, CJDR will expand the Jeep line into the EU and that costs money.

I think the VM engine will do just fine in those markets and those vehicles. Dodge/Fiat selected the VM 3.0L engine to power some of the light duty 1/2T Ram trucks. Given the competitive nature of truck sales, especially in the US, that is a significant move.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that told me something. I'm shooting at the Pentastar, but if the market is too dry here, I'll opt for the coal burner. Thanks!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Admittedly, Chrysler was struggling and the "Merger of Equals" :pat: never did quite gel as was planned or touted. But, some MB technology began to migrate to the MOPAR line and that was an improvement.

Most folks forget about Cerebus Capital Management and their despicable management of Chrysler after they purchased the group from MB. They were in it for the money (they are a capital investment firm after all) and while they would state they provide operational expertise and flexibility, their ownership of Chrysler proved to be a disaster.

Fiat saw an opportunity and some potential. Many would say that Fiat was strong armed into buying a share of Chrysler from the US Government (the bankruptcy caretaker), however, Sergio Marchionne is no fool. He would not have invested Fiat's money in such a manner nor for an already failed enterprise. Remember, Chrysler possessed significant assets and marketable products which could translate into revenue and profit.

And it must be noted that Fiat decided to increase it's stake in Chrysler (actually, let's just insert Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram here) as things improved at CJDR.

And now, CJDR will expand the Jeep line into the EU and that costs money.

I think the VM engine will do just fine in those markets and those vehicles. Dodge/Fiat selected the VM 3.0L engine to power some of the light duty 1/2T Ram trucks. Given the competitive nature of truck sales, especially in the US, that is a significant move.
Cerbus are worth forgetting. Luckily they didn't manage to run Chrysler into the ground...

Jeep already have a reasonable presence in Europe so that's a natural decision to try to capitalise on that.

It's weird that they are rebadging the 300 as a Lancia though, the Lancia brand name is not at the top of the heap so they must hope this will revive things for them. Although, I would have thought they would want to build up Chrysler in Europe rather than tie them to a previously losing name.

Maybe the VM engine will do fine but the point is, is it a good engine. AFAIK to date it's been used mainly in commercial vehicles...

·
Registered
585 Posts
OK, the other thing that is worrying me is that I do "cold runs" mostly, i.e. crank it up, go 1 mile to the mall, post office, etc., shut it down, leave for an hour, start and go home the same distance, since I work at home. Longer runs in my case are 40 miles or 200 miles, which is not frequent (weekends only). AFAIK cold runs are not good with modern CRD with variable turbines, and especially the DPF burnout. I don't wanna gunk up the particle filter or end up with a repair only due to my driving necessities.
That's why the [ vm ] engine will do a re-gen and rid the filter of the nasty soot every so often.
I studiously avoid doing the lazy bugger half a mile trip to the chip shop and back for that very reason, I do decent runs every day however my 300 still re-gens every 500 miles or so because you can smell it, but it doesn't flag up in the EVIC that it's doing it, which , I'm told, it should.

·
Registered
773 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts