Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what polishing method and products you guys have used on the new black vapour rims. As you guys know they show every little scratch and ding. looking to pull them off and do a good polish on them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
563 Posts
DO NOT POLISH THEM! You can only clean them with soap and water and nothing abrasive at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are a chrome finish aren't they? there must be something out there to take out all the minimal wash marks?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I used Mothers chrome polish on my chrome clads and it turned out great.

·
Registered
152 Posts
if they are clear coated you can buff them as you would paint. If skilled to do the job , 3000 grit -rubbing compound - scratch remover - wheel wax. Should remove scratches that are not deeper than your fingernail can catch onto.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Treat the wheels just like paint.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so basically any breakdown paint compound starting from 3000 grit and up and then wax them and seal them ? a chemical guys or ammo nyc finish polish

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I've always just washed mine, then I take the car out for a "blow dry" down the street, then back home to dry the remainder with micro fiber towels. Never really needed to polish the wheels.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yeah, not suggested that you polish the vapor chrome. Two of my wheels already started peeling and I only hand washed w/ water and soap. An occasional auto car wash (ONLY during winter to get salt/dirt from the snow off)...point is, less than a year ownership and wheelz are peeling already. So, per manufacturer recommendation,
DO NOT POLISH.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, not suggested that you polish the vapor chrome. Two of my wheels already started peeling and I only hand washed w/ water and soap. An occasional auto car wash (ONLY during winter to get salt/dirt from the snow off)...point is, less than a year ownership and wheelz are peeling already. So, per manufacturer recommendation,
DO NOT POLISH.

Since they are peeling at less than a year of ownership are they under warranty?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Since they are peeling at less than a year of ownership are they under warranty?
Yes, Sir! I posted in the another thread about this... In a nutshell, had to take it in and the Service Manager took pictures to send to Corporate for approval. That was over two weeks ago...since then, corporate approved, dealer ordered new wheelz, and now my replacement wheelz are in and I'm scheduled for install next week.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I had this peeling problem with a '95 ETC Caddie back in the day. GM wouldn't honour the replacement after 9 months saying I was using wrong cleaning products. Over 10 new cars since then and have never stepped inside a GM dealership since then. :zx11pisse

Can't say I miss them.:headbang:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I had this peeling problem with a '95 ETC Caddie back in the day. GM wouldn't honour the replacement after 9 months saying I was using wrong cleaning products. Over 10 new cars since then and have never stepped inside a GM dealership since then. :zx11pisse

Can't say I miss them.:headbang:
Well, good for you! That's ridiculous on GM's part! Can't say what I'm going to do if the other two wheelz have the same problem and they decide not to cover them...we'll just wait and see, I guess...

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I had an issue with one of my wheels having pitting around the valve stem. Took the car in, and they replaced the wheel. At that time, they checked the other wheels, and all of them had the same problem. They ordered 3 more wheels, and the next day, they came in and I had them installed on the car. My original post is HERE

·
Registered
563 Posts
Your car came from the factory with a big, yellow sticker on EACH rim that says to only use mild soap and water to clean the black vapor rims.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I maybe a lunatic but I'm trying something different with the wheels. I had the 300 treated with Ziebart Diamond Gloss yesterday and told them to do the wheels also. I had a good experience with this product on my Challenger but never have had the wheels done before.

The result looks fantastic and hopefully the coating will help protect these beauties from road wear.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hmm...interested to know if the finish will last. Please update us if you have any issues w/ it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts