Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Do the rear speakers in the standard 6 speaker Alpine system receive the entire frequency spectrum? In other words, can I just add a sub amp and speaker and tap into the rear wires to obtain the low end?

After going back and re-reading this thread I found my answer. Doh!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I'm still confused. If I'm going to put all Infinity speakers in (replace the 3.5's in the dash, 6x9's front and back) what's the best way? Use the PAC system? Or try and find a wiring diagram online, and tap in the factory outputs from the factory radio? BTW car is 2012 Chrysler 300 limited 6 speaker Alpine system, no navigation

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Awhile back, there was an experimental server set up by Chrysler to allow us to download wiring diagrams for our cars. I did this for my base model '12 w/base sound system. Is that the same as yours? My brochure talks about 4 audio trim levels:

1) six speakers (mine)
2) six premium speakers with 276W digital amp
3) 10 premium amplified speakers (Beats)
4) 19 SRT premium speakers (H/K?)

Do you have 1 or 2?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Rear speakers on the 6 speaker Alpine system are full frequency. Front door speakers are not. In 2012 there was also a 10 speaker Alpine system with a 12 channel 506 watt amp. It features an 8" sub mounted on the rear deck along with the 6x9" speakers. I believe that the Beats system actually had 11 speakers counting the trunk mounted sub.

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check this

Hi Guys,
This could be the reason for some of the disappointments here, I have 2014 300 base model with alpine 6 speakers system, was not so happy with it, weak sound and not so rich, after some time, I drove another typical one, and was so surprised with the performance of that system, wonderful, so I'm now looking into the reason why my system is bad, any one have idea?
I have found similar complaints on another forum, but they didn't mention the results of their check ups.
In details, when comparing two cars, the dash speakers works fine, the front door speakers and back dash speakers at their half power level, given that when I looked at the wiring layout, I found that one line power up the door and back dash speakers circuitry, so its either the Harman kardon output to the amplifier, or the amplifier, or the wiring some where in between.

If any one had pass through this, let us know the results of his experience.
My car now at the dealer workshop to check this up.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I have 2014 300 base model with alpine 6 speakers system, was not so happy with it, weak sound and not so rich, after some time, I drove another typical one, and was so surprised with the performance of that system, wonderful, so I'm now looking into the reason why my system is bad, any one have idea?

...In details, when comparing two cars, the dash speakers works fine, the front door speakers and back dash speakers at their half power level, given that when I looked at the wiring layout, I found that one line power up the door and back dash speakers circuitry, so its either the Harman kardon output to the amplifier, or the amplifier, or the wiring some where in between.
I have a 2012 base model 300 with an unamplified 6-speaker system. Is that what you have? The next step up during the 2012 model year was a "premium 6-speaker" audio system, which adds an amplifier and (possibly?) improves the drivers as well. Then there's the Beats, and at the top of the line is the H-K setup. I bought the amp off a guy who replaced the amp on his premium 6-speaker setup with the Beats amp. That worked. But when I attempted to add his amp into my car, I found that there was no easy upgrade path for the base model unamplified system, because the wiring harnesses are different.

Anyhow, you caused me to re-examine the wiring diagrams for my specific model. The dash speakers and front door speakers are wired in parallel to the radio. The rear parcel shelf speakers are wired independently to the radio. Are you sure the door and back shelf are wired together on your car?

I suspect that the 2nd car you tried had at minimum the premium 6-speaker setup or better, possibly including a sub, and that you have the non-premium unamplified system without sub like mine. You mentioned the H-K amplifier, which is pretty strong. This only comes on the top of the line audio system. Indeed, I would expect it to sound dramatically better than our systems.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
So what's the best route to replace them all?
Depends on the following factors:

1) is it loud enough for you or does it appear that you get more distortion when you turn it up? If either of these, you would need an amp upgrade.

2) does it sound bad to you, meaning you are not getting quality sound?
Then replace the speakers.

You can select a brand that's been known to fit. Here are some of them:

JBL, Kicker, Infinity (there are others)

NOTE: not every 6x9 will fit in the door due to depth issues.

Bare minimum (I said this in the other thread):

You may get the Kicker upgrade option or purchase the H/K speakers for the dash. These actually have a real tweeter and will plug into the stock wiring harness.

Or you could replace all speakers with aftermarket, starting with some of the brand names I previously mentioned. Those are not the only makes that fit, but generally people have had success with them.

What you may notices upon doing this is that the sound will be better, but the system runs out of gas when the volume us turned up. This is when the PAC part that has been discussed comes into play. It will allow you to add aftermarket amps to the system.

So to recap:

Ff you don't like the sound, that means the speakers need to be replaced. If it's not loud enough, the system needs amplifiers (and then speakers to handle the power upgrade).

We can help more once those choices are made. sorry this is so long winded.

my 2cents....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all,

I just picked up a 2015 300c. It has a 6 speaker alpine system. Like many hear I was looking to upgrade the sound. I was thinking about upgrading to the kicker solution ( 4 6x9s, 2 3.5 tweeters) but wanted to upgrade the amp also since I think I have the 276 watt amp. Where is the amp located and how do I make sure i have the 276 watt amp. I have a Infinity Basslink i wanted to through in there as well and wanted to make sure i can do that. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like many have said the stock system sucks a fat one, even the beats system is crap. I have a 2015 300 and picked up these infinity 3.5s which are on sale right now at crutch field. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3002CX/Infinity-Reference-X-REF-3002cfx.html . They are amazing versus stock.

Instead of replacing the door 6x9s I went with some jbls for the rear deck. I got harnesses, dynamat substitute and jbl 6x9s model: GT7-96 all for $116 shipped on amazon. Which are confirmed to work well with the stock installed amp or head unit. With these I also have the option of upgrading the amp down the road. When running the stock amp it is important to look for speakers that have high sensitivity and low power handling, or else the speaker may require more power than your stock amp can supply.

I'll try to follow up once I install the 6x9s in the rear deck and let you know how they perform. Planning on using the dynamat substitute all over the rear deck to prevent vibration and reduce road nice from the trunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was actually looking at those same jbl 6x9 but got a great deal on 4 kicker 6x9 and 3.5 from a dodge. much better sound quality than the stock speakers. any one know where the factory amp is located on the 2015 300c?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The amp is pretty much in the same place up front behind the lower panel on the drivers side.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just received my Infinity 3.5 inch 3022cfx for dash and Infinity 9623ix 6x9's for the doors. Father's day gift to myself from Crutchfield. No time to install this weekend but will soon enough. Can't wait! Has anyone else installed the 9623's? They are 3-way (not sure that is needed) but the Crutch listed fairly low bass frequency response versus the Rockford Fosgate Punch P1692. Plus the Infinity's were on sale so I bit. Last time I installed 6x9's in one of my cars was my '79 Ford Tbird way back. Those Sony speakers were great! Rambling here...anyway, the 9623's have a little switch on the midrange/tweeter deck for 0db/+3db. I assume it boosts the high frequencies and not the mids. Will it make any difference? Does the head unit send a full frequency spectrum to these door speakers or only bass? Thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just installed the Infinity 3022 dash speakers. What a difference in sound! Beautiful. I thought I was going deaf...couldnt hear the cymbols crash and other high frequencies. Now every ting, ting, ting, comes through crystal clear. Amazing. Thanx to Cool V's youtube video, installation was a breeze. One problem, the wiring leads are indeed very short. Lost grip on them and they fell down into the bowels of the dash! Added an extra 20 mins to my install and required a helper with flashlight and a long grabby-grippy type tool. (Technical tool name there). For the second speaker, I pre attached the tool in case I couldnt hold the leads before detaching from the existing speaker. Once I plugged in the new lead adapter from Crutchfield, then I could relax. All in all a very satisfying install and sound outcome. Door speakers next weekend. Happy Fathers Day you all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just installed the Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP and the iDatalink Maestro AR Amplifier Replacement Module in my 2015 300 C with the Alpine 6 speaker system

These bypass the factory amp keeping all of the factory functions.
Since it had been years since I last did a custom install it was a bit tricky. But with about 5 hours of my time it was installed and running great. Then I spent a few hours tuning it with the DSP controls.

I just wanted to make sure everyone knows about this new system. It works very well and is a cost effective way to bypass the factory system without going to a custom shop.
I bought everything from crutchfield. Along with infinity reference 6x9s, 1 inch infinity tweeters and a pioneer 10 inch sub and Rockford mono amp.

Now I'm rocking the way God intended the 2015 300c to sound. Over riding the devil engineers at Chrysler that gave us such horrible factory sound systems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thx Brian, too $$$ for me tho. Desert flyer Did you ever complete your Install. Curious how the door speakers sounded as they only receive a mid bass signal correct? Did you try swapping the rear deck speakers? I just did and they sound terrible. Infinity Kappas. Not sure if my amp is blown?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes. I did the door speakers. I can say that the sound is better (seems more alive, tighter bass) but bass response only marginally louder if at all. Better speaker but I think I did not seal them to the door frame as well as the original speakers. Absolutely no upper mid and high end response...the head unit equalization completely rips that part of the signal out. I should have bought only a bass speaker as that is the only signal getting through.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

21 - 40 of 73 Posts