Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am new here but not new to everything fast, normally I stick to Diesel stuff.
That being said I am looking at a few 3.5 v6 300's and wondering will the stock AWD system of the v6 model handle power from the 6.4 , meaning built and modded around 550-600 crank hp.

What's the most likely issues, as I am buying the v6 model to keep it low key and insurance company will remain oblivious to my swap, hopefully wsp too

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No.

The Mercedes-sourced AWD system in your 300 was not designed to handle the torque of a stock 6.4, much less a built one.
Thank you, I kinda figured that would be the case, but never hurts to ask

·
Registered
60 Posts
No.

The Mercedes-sourced AWD system in your 300 was not designed to handle the torque of a stock 6.4, much less a built one.
Ya got any info to back that yup. I got an AWD(but '14 5.7 so 5sp) as well, and intend to major HP upgrades. There's a few people putting big power through the AWD systems and I've yet to know of anyone who's broken one with just HP. Apparently overheating the transmission can be an issue but that's true of the RWD as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya got any info to back that yup. I got an AWD(but '14 5.7 so 5sp) as well, and intend to major HP upgrades. There's a few people putting big power through the AWD systems and I've yet to know of anyone who's broken one with just HP. Apparently overheating the transmission can be an issue but that's true of the RWD as well.
I'm here looking for results, good, bad or otherwise...
I definitely don't want to buy the AWD and then proceed to break everything

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check this guy out, not a 6.4 but a cammed and supercharged 5.7 pushing over 600HP in an AWD Charger. His AWD is holding up.

Honestly my biggest concern with what you said you have planned is getting a V6. Going from V6 to V8 I'd assume to be a HUGE hassle, expense, and probably lack of options that isn't at all worth any minor insurance savings. I'd highly suggest finding yourself a 5.7 AWD version.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check this guy out, not a 6.4 but a cammed and supercharged 5.7 pushing over 600HP in an AWD Charger. His AWD is holding up.

Honestly my biggest concern with what you said you have planned is getting a V6. Going from V6 to V8 I'd assume to be a HUGE hassle, expense, and probably lack of options that isn't at all worth any minor insurance savings. I'd highly suggest finding yourself a 5.7 AWD version.
Yeah I did also think about that as well... Figuring that the v8 version may have a little easier time with the swap.

I very much appreciate the input and your Likley correct about that insurance rate ... We shall see, I'll have my guy look up my personal rate for either SRT8 And just a 5.7 hemi version

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The other thing I was thinking after watching the video was?? Is the charger trans/t-case set up the same as the 300 platform ?
And is that t-case internal or external to the transmission... As I haven't even been under a 300 since 05 when I worked at dodge here locally in Washington.

There's really not much advantage having AWD for the way I drive I'm just thinking if my other half drives it I want to know it's not gonna get squirrelly on her as she isn't used to 600+ hp ... She drives a rouge

·
Registered
207 Posts
Want some apples with those oranges?

The Borg-Warner 44-40 transfer case in your '14 LD is normally rear wheel drive. Front wheels are engaged and up to 38% of torque is sent to the front wheels under some conditions, but it's not a full-time AWD system. Rarely if ever are you going to be seeing power sent to the front wheels under sustained WOT conditions.

The OP is talking about a LX 300 and a Magna-Steyr MS140 transfer case, with a 38/62 torque split front to rear, full-time. This is a system that was designed for the 1998 W210 Mercedes E-Type, with 270 horsepower. Both Mercedes and Chrysler pushed that to roughly 340 horsepower, but when the 370 HP Eagle Hemi was released in 2009, they switched to the Borg-Warner system.

On top of that, the OP is talking about a 3.5 car, with a 198mm ring gear, lighter axles, and tiny BR3 brakes. Sure you can upgrade all those things, but that's going to make the transfer case the weak link, and there's no way to upgrade it.

I'm glad you haven't heard of anyone breaking their AWD system with added power. But the first-gen LX AWD system wasn't designed with that kind of power in mind and it was never sold that way. If you want to try it, be my guest. But overall, it's a poor platform for a 6.4 swap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have to keep in mind that a V6 to V8 swap isn't just an engine swap, but total electronics/harnesses, exhaust, accessories, maybe cooling, engine mounts, transmision, etc. And that's if it's even possible. There's a reason they don't make V8 AWD cars anymore. I'm pretty sure it's cause it can't fit. The floor of the AWD is different, there's an extra hump to make room for the AWD. I don't think there's enough room in that hump to fit both the 8 speed and AWD. Even the current production police AWD V8 cars are 5 speed.

Yes, the Charger and 300 are VERY similar, a LOT of parts swap and the drivetrain is identical.

I find the AWD essential even with my modest 5.7 power. I got a Tazer so I can force RWD only, it's sketchy, I'm a HUGE fan of the AWD. The AWD system and stability system work so well together it's amazing.

·
Registered
60 Posts

The Borg-Warner 44-40 transfer case in your '14 LD is normally rear wheel drive. Front wheels are engaged and up to 38% of torque is sent to the front wheels under some conditions, but it's not a full-time AWD system. Rarely if ever are you going to be seeing power sent to the front wheels under sustained WOT conditions.

The OP is talking about a LX 300 and a Magna-Steyr MS140 transfer case, with a 38/62 torque split front to rear, full-time. This is a system that was designed for the 1998 W210 Mercedes E-Type, with 270 horsepower. Both Mercedes and Chrysler pushed that to roughly 340 horsepower, but when the 370 HP Eagle Hemi was released in 2009, they switched to the Borg-Warner system.

On top of that, the OP is talking about a 3.5 car, with a 198mm ring gear, lighter axles, and tiny BR3 brakes. Sure you can upgrade all those things, but that's going to make the transfer case the weak link, and there's no way to upgrade it.

I'm glad you haven't heard of anyone breaking their AWD system with added power. But the first-gen LX AWD system wasn't designed with that kind of power in mind and it was never sold that way. If you want to try it, be my guest. But overall, it's a poor platform for a 6.4 swap.
Ahhh, great info, I didn't catch that he was referring to the older system. I should have been more specific, I've never heard of anyone breaking a 44-40. Have you, if you have I'd really like to know more?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ahhh, great info, I didn't catch that he was referring to the older system. I should have been more specific, I've never heard of anyone breaking a 44-40. Have you, if you have I'd really like to know more?
I've never seen a 6.1 or 6.4 swap, or a 5.7, say with forced induction, pushing 550-600 HP through a Borg-Warner AWD system, so no. I don't think I'd want to go that route myself, but I wouldn't worry as much about parts breakage with it. You'd be running in RWD most of the time, and if you invested that kind of money, you'd probably have either a hard-wired switch or a logical force-RWD solution like a Tazer anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yes the car specifically I was looking at was a 2016 v6 AWD ....

Super thankful for the amount of knowledge you have on this and I think I'll just buy a 5.7 hemi rwd... Lol

Besides... The amount of insurance I'll save between the 6/8 is only about 92$ every 6 months ... Now the SRT8 is another 340$ every 6 months ... Lol big difference ..
I have a CDL and I ama blank canvas as far as tickets and accidents etc... So I get all the benefits of being safe when it counts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check out the vid I linked in reply to the OP, he's pushing 620HP through a 44-40.

I have the Tazer but you appear VERY knowledgeable and mention a hard wired switch. Given the Tazer I don't really need a switch to disable the AWD. However I would be interested in a switch to lock the clutch in the transfer case so I have immediate front power instead of waiting for rear slip. I'd very much appreciate any info on that?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes the car specifically I was looking at was a 2016 v6 AWD ....

Super thankful for the amount of knowledge you have on this and I think I'll just buy a 5.7 hemi rwd... Lol

Besides... The amount of insurance I'll save between the 6/8 is only about 92$ every 6 months ... Now the SRT8 is another 340$ every 6 months ... Lol big difference ..
I have a CDL and I ama blank canvas as far as tickets and accidents etc... So I get all the benefits of being safe when it counts

Oh, you mentioned the 3.5, the old LX engine. A 2016 would have the Pentastar 3.6 and the Borg-Warner AWD setup. Different animal. But still, for the amount of work and cost, I think you'd be much happier with the 5.7. If you want AWD, you have a couple of options; you could go with a slightly older 300C, say a '14, with the 5.7 and AWD. If you want a newer car, you can look for a clean late-model Charger Pursuit. They're still available with the 5.7 and AWD, and if you find one with the Street Appearance Group or "undercover" package, they look pretty much like a civilian Charger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, you mentioned the 3.5, the old LX engine. A 2016 would have the Pentastar 3.6 and the Borg-Warner AWD setup. Different animal. But still, for the amount of work and cost, I think you'd be much happier with the 5.7. If you want AWD, you have a couple of options; you could go with a slightly older 300C, say a '14, with the 5.7 and AWD. If you want a newer car, you can look for a clean late-model Charger Pursuit. They're still available with the 5.7 and AWD, and if you find one with the Street Appearance Group or "undercover" package, they look pretty much like a civilian Charger.
Yeah I have also been considering something like the drivetrain from the Jeep srt or something of that sort to make a makeshift AWD set up .... Even though I understand the complexity of that situation as well will take time and cashflow .. and possibly a standalone computer or controller of sorts...

I have tinkeritus of sorts... I enjoy a challenge too ... Lol

Many possibilities are out there just thinking of how to make it work and not break...
I have seen some vids about the AWD 442 and vehicles based on the trail Blazer SS drivetrain, I'd like to use Mopar drivetrain but, for the want I have for power and control, I'll build it how ever I can within the budget that's yet to be determined.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What exactly do you want/need from this car?
A daily the u can't just go buy... And u won't be able to just mash it and pass my ass up ...

But it's going to be daily drivable and reliable at the same time ...

Rwd has its disadvantage just based on traction ability and avalibality due to tire size limitations and compounds that sent suited for daily or specific driving conditions.

So naturally a 4wd or AWD set up is key to being able to just say SEEEE YAAAAA and having power to back that up as well as just over all fun factor to drive as well

1 - 20 of 27 Posts