Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm of course biased as it's what I did and am doing. But I highly suggest that the best starting point is a highly optioned 2nd gen(11-14) 5.7 AWD car. It's a great starting platform, the higher options get you the goodies you'll want/need and the 5.7 has a lot of potential or can be swapped for something bigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm of course biased as it's what I did and am doing. But I highly suggest that the best starting point is a highly optioned 2nd gen(11-14) 5.7 AWD car. It's a great starting platform, the higher options get you the goodies you'll want/need and the 5.7 has a lot of potential or can be swapped for something bigger.
Yeah and of course if I can find a AWD hemi powered unit for a decent deal I'll likely got that route.
Might get the one I send a pic of just to get my feet wet

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Want some apples with those oranges?

The Borg-Warner 44-40 transfer case in your '14 LD is normally rear wheel drive. Front wheels are engaged and up to 38% of torque is sent to the front wheels under some conditions, but it's not a full-time AWD system.
Where'd you get that 38% number, I've seen it mentioned several times but Chrysler says "fully variable". 38% really doesn't make any sense, if the rear is on ice and front has traction it'll be 100% front.

I've been looking for more info on this transfer case, if you have any I'd appreciate it. For example I don't think there's any mechanism to pull power from/disconnect the rear. Mine never has, if the rear is spinning it engages the front but the rear keeps spinning unless I(or the car) pulls power. Is there even a differential in it, in what schematics I've been able to find I see no differential. Best I can tell it's really just a chain and a clutch. If so that would also mean it can never power/spin the front faster then the rear.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Where'd you get that 38% number, I've seen it mentioned several times but Chrysler says "fully variable". 38% really doesn't make any sense, if the rear is on ice and front has traction it'll be 100% front.

I've been looking for more info on this transfer case, if you have any I'd appreciate it. For example I don't think there's any mechanism to pull power from/disconnect the rear. Mine never has, if the rear is spinning it engages the front but the rear keeps spinning unless I(or the car) pulls power. Is there even a differential in it, in what schematics I've been able to find I see no differential. Best I can tell it's really just a chain and a clutch. If so that would also mean it can never power/spin the front faster then the rear.
Plenty of places, here's a good down-and-dirty: Dodge all wheel drive explained

21 - 27 of 27 Posts