Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I purchased a 2008 Touring AWD 3.5L with 65,000 miles.
I changed the oil and oil type yesterday. The previous owner used to
use Valvoline Dura Blend 10W-30, which is a combo of synthetic and regular oil.
My local shop put in regular shell oil 10W-30. As soon as we started the car, I
heard a ticking noise coming from the engine.

I have read through the forums and all the possible problems with the lifters.

Could this be directly related to the oil change and type, and should I try to revert
back to the Valvoline Dura Blend oil the previous owner was using?

Any suggestions would be great!

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
I have a strong preference for synthetic oil. I use synthetic in my personal cars; my company fleet vehicles and when I owned "pure" racing cars, in them.

Most experts agree that major brand synthetics simply do a better job than petroleum based lubricants. Better viscosity (fluidity over temperature ranges); much higher flashpoints (the temp at which the lubricant vapourizes - and remember that in engines there are specific hot spots); better ability to cleanse and hold impurities without breaking down.

If you plan to own the vehicle for more than 2 or 3 years and want to have major components free of excessive wear or premature breakdown, I recommend you use synthetic oil.

The ticking noise might be from the valve train, especially if you hear it on cold start up and it goes away when the engine is warm.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have a strong preference for synthetic oil. I use synthetic in my personal cars; my company fleet vehicles and when I owned "pure" racing cars, in them.

Most experts agree that major brand synthetics simply do a better job than petroleum based lubricants. Better viscosity (fluidity over temperature ranges); much higher flashpoints (the temp at which the lubricant vapourizes - and remember that in engines there are specific hot spots); better ability to cleanse and hold impurities without breaking down.

If you plan to own the vehicle for more than 2 or 3 years and want to have major components free of excessive wear or premature breakdown, I recommend you use synthetic oil.

The ticking noise might be from the valve train, especially if you here it on cold start up and it goes away when the engine is warm.

synthetic all the way
i too have a 3.5L and i realize that our cars are for racing
or goin all out
but it does help with all the engine components
i bought my car nearly 2 years ago and have been using full synthetic since i bought it...

oh and i suggest gettin a catch can too...lol [let the mods begin?]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions, I am heading out now to do another oil change, ill keep you posted on the outcome...I look forward to being a member of this forum and learning more about the 300 and the things we can do to them....

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I am heading out now to do another oil change, ill keep you posted on the outcome...I look forward to being a member of this forum and learning more about the 300 and the things we can do to them....
no matter what brand, or whether you use synthetic or not, I would go with a 5w30 rather than a 10w30. 5w30 will circulate to all internally lubricated components (like the valvetrain) quicker, especially in colder weather. Most engine wear occurs at startup so the quicker the oil reaches everywhere it needs to reach the better. This might eliminate or at least reduce your 'tick'.

·
Registered
113 Posts
no matter what brand, or whether you use synthetic or not, I would go with a 5w30 rather than a 10w30. 5w30 will circulate to all internally lubricated components (like the valvetrain) quicker, especially in colder weather. Most engine wear occurs at startup so the quicker the oil reaches everywhere it needs to reach the better. This might eliminate or at least reduce your 'tick'.
The cold does not effect synthetic like it does dino oil. It flows the same in hot or cold weather. Thats one of its perks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts