Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - lots of chatter on the lines on this subject which is great, but I think I'm still coming up short on the way forward for what I'm wanting to achieve with ours. So anyway, let's see what we have on the table; a stock Touring 3.5l V6 with single tip exhaust.

I'm not too bothered about increasing the HP. If I wanted to race or destroy other vehicles on the road, I'd have saved up for an SRT8 ;-)
Cosmetically I believe that I have a responsibility to go dual exit. That much is just a given. Since we're talking exhaust mods, I guess we should talk CAI, headers and a catback. Anything else would be less than complete.

Talk on CAI mostly seems to imply that most are a downgrade, at least for the V8. Maybe this isn't so for the V6? Having a restrictive front end seems to make work at the back sort of less useful. Since I'm not looking for HP gains, something simple, easy to acquire and maintain like a K&N CAI sounds like a plan. Comments?

Next would seem to be exhaust headers. Rather than HP, getting a less-civil/more-respectable basic tone from the V6 at idle seems to make this a go-to. Headers are more difficult to acquire here in the EU compared to the larger market in the US, and shipping/import soon racks up. I've seen some basic no-name stainless tube headers around and about, but have no experience in the reasonable headers vs. stock vs. brand/boutique field. Objective, not-silent. Nothing more than that.

Magnaflow exhaust systems appear to be the best off the shelf product this end of the pond, however they have those split quad tips which I guess means minor modding (/warranty void) to get the intended look. Given shorty headers and a Magnaflow system, can I expect to see any issues with the yearly emissions test side of things?

I appreciate the knowledge and experience on the table guys. Great place to be. Once I get into the field where I'm most experienced, I hope I can return the favour. ::wink::

·
Away From 300C Forum
19,587 Posts
Exhaust - Check out Blastin Bob's offerings. They have some nicely made systems to transform your exhaust from a single in/single out system to a single in/dual out configuration with or without resonators. All you need to do is pick the muffler you want and get the system fitted. They may also have mufflers available. One caution is that the system will be louder, the degree of which depends on what muffler you choose and whether or not you get the system with or without resonators.

CAI - I'd go with a Legmaker intake. Google "Legmaker Intake" and you'll see a few options for your model. If nothing else, the addition of a CAI does improve throttle response and airflow to the throttle body. Legmaker intakes are a favorite within the LX community.

Headers - I have no experience with headers on a V6 car. I'm sure there are some available but I have no recommendation to make.

Emissions - The laws vary so much from area to area that I have no definitive answer regarding whether or not the mentioned modifications will pass. I'd suggest you review the regulations that apply in your specific area.

Good luck with the mods.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I don't think luck has much to do with it when you have a good planned approach of course, but it never goes amiss. :)

The way I'm looking at this is to try and figure out the component parts as a summed mod. CAI is probably the first thing to deal with since NI will only take what it wants as long as its there. Sorting availability before increasing demand seems the way to go. Talking of availability, anything sourceable within the EU is a huge bonus. The Legmaker true CAI looks like it fits the bill nicely rather than the typical generic short-ram-in-a-box. Thanks for the recommendation. I can't say that I came across the name in my trawls, but I can see why it would be well-liked. Pricey, but hey. Fun is never economical.

Headers only really came into my radar as maybe something that should be looked at in tandem with a new exhaust system when voicing, especially since they seem to define the basic "quality" of tone. I'm spitballing here and likely way off base, however I don't do this as a day job! The exhaust system is something that will have to be sourced within the EU rather than from stateside. Shipping pipe is prohibitively expensive at the best of times, never mind import duty and tax! I've looked around domestically to see if we have local pipe wranglers who'll change up what is already under there, bringing it out to dual mufflers and tips of choice. I don't think going full Magnaflow is a necessity, but it is very fire and forget. Most of what I want to gain in tonality from the exhaust system seems to be achievable through the CAI and tubular headers rather than a basic cast manifold. Enough of a respectable sound to maintain the civility of the car, yet underline itself better when you open up the taps. Dual tip is mostly cosmetics, partially OCD, partially jealousy that CRDs all seem to get them as standard around here. haha

I think I'm heading in the right direction anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts