Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine has 31K miles. The dealer keeps pestering me for the $600 30K mile service. He wants to do transmission and cooling system service, flush the engine (get rid of oil sludge), etc. My reading of the manual is that transmission and cooling system service is not done at 30K miles. And engine flush is never done, unless the oil change interval is long (I do it ever 3K miles). Am I reading the service guide correctly that these services are not necessary? Is the dealer trying to make his Porche payment off of me?

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Mine has 31K miles. The dealer keeps pestering me for the $600 30K mile service. He wants to do transmission and cooling system service, flush the engine (get rid of oil sludge), etc. My reading of the manual is that transmission and cooling system service is not done at 30K miles. And engine flush is never done, unless the oil change interval is long (I do it ever 3K miles). Am I reading the service guide correctly that these services are not necessary? Is the dealer trying to make his Porche payment off of me?
There should be no sludge in your engine if you have followed 3,000 mile oil changes no matter what kind of oil you've used. I have not read the manual recently on the transmission fluid change interval (I'm only at 10,500 miles) but even if it is recommended at 30k they are ripping you off on the price.

Since this is not a warranty service, why on earth are you going to the dealership? Or at least this dealership? I would find a good independent shop (ask your friends & Neighbors, word of mouth is the best advertising). You will very likely get better service and pay less for it than at the dealership. Many dealerships use there perceived superiority to justify charging higher prices, but an independent shop has to give you good service to earn your repeat business. They only fix cars - - they have no sales, finance, or parts departments to generate revenue. Plus you will likely be able to deal directly with the owner, not some 'service adviser' who doesn't know the first thing about your car.

·
Registered
465 Posts
do a search on the 30k tune up stuff on here. i did my own minus the air filter. i did the oil change and changed the spark plugs out myself. its not that difficult. it will save you tons of cash in the long run too

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
You are 100% correct. Good you read the owners manual.
To keep your warranty in good standing, you only need the plug change, oil change, air cleaner replaced, and check the PCV valve.
Everything else is just fluff and dealer preying on the uneducated with misinformation.
Having said that, around the 30k mark I did pay extra and cleaned the fuel injectors, throttle body, intake valves, and combustion chamber as a potential performance improvement.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you are going to use the dealer to change tranny fluid (which makes sense in some cases, especially if you don't have the Miller tool to read fluid level and if you're not checking tranny oil temp), I highly recommend buying the tranny filter and oil separately, bring the stuff to the dealer and just pay for the labor. Should be around $75.00 and you'll have documentation in the dealer network and for your records. Most dealers don't have a problem with doing it that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got lucky... Found an independent shop near more house that did the full 30K service for under $150. Like KevinJ recommended, do a search on this forum to find good mechanics that will save you the $$$. I wish I had the space to do it myself, I would!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts