Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a used motor to replace my old 5.7 hemi long block which had a dead cylinder and caused it to fail compression checks. So after replacing the original motor I had my shop install the replacement motor and after 500 miles it started to make a ticking noise…..
In order to create a claim on the replacement motor I had to scope the pistons to check for debris which I did find a small piece in cylinder #1. I’ve been told it’s debris transfer as their are no valve marks on the pistons of that motor.

my question is:
Is it likely to get debris transferring back into the intake when my motor went bad?? My mechanic put the old intake back onto the motor this last round!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry your having ongoing motor issues. If your old motor dropped a valve seat, it's not uncommon for some of the debris to find its way back into the intake manifold. When a valve seat or valve seats drop, it is always recommended you install a new or known good manifold. It is also possible to insure the old one is good after a complete inspection and repair if/as needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Sorry your having ongoing motor issues. If your old motor dropped a valve seat, it's not uncommon for some of the debris to find its way back into the intake manifold. When a valve seat or valve seats drop, it is always recommended you install a new or known good manifold. It is also possible to insure the old one is good after a complete inspection and repair if/as needed.
That’s the generally what I’m hearing but my mechanics think it’s not possible….. looks like I’m gonna be tearing into the intake to look deeper into the problem, I’ll post what I find

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s the generally what I’m hearing but my mechanics think it’s not possible….. looks like I’m gonna be tearing into the intake to look deeper into the problem, I’ll post what I find
So dug a little deeper into the intake and didn’t have to look far…. Took off the throttle body and shined a lite to the first drop in the intake and saw something that looked like tin foil.
Bore scoped the intake and just as I’ve been told their was a huge deposit of metals that looked like a diamond mine!!!
Debri transfer can and will happen with a catastrophic engine failure and I can’t deny it, proof is in the pudding!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts