Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am just asking nothing else at this point. I have had both of mine failed do to the solder for the battery section. I have fixed one and it is holding up very well. I am going to do the other one. Saved me 150.00 each for new ones. If my testing works and they hold up would anyone who has theres all mess up want to get them repaired?

Thanks for your time,

Fritz

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Not so fast, Fritz! Give people a chance to notice your thread.

I, for a second one, have also had BOTH key fobs quit working due to the solder joint failures. Cold solder joints from the get-go. That big metal clip just sucks the heat right out of the solder. And the force applied to the clip when the battery is slid in just pulls the joints apart.

When my first one fell apart I got the "RKE BATTERY LOW" warning on the EVIC. I opened the keyfob to get the battery number only to find the original battery about ready to fall out!

The second keyfob is my wifes. She never, ever used it. Then one day I grabbed her set of keys to get into the "C". The remote would not unlock the door, so I used the key. That set off the alarm! I hopped in and started the engine to kill the alarm. And there in the EVIC was the "RKE BATTERY LOW" message.

I've posted my findings on the forum a couple of times. Even wrote up and offered a "how to" article for anyone interested in repairing their's themselves. No takers by the way. Maybe some people figured it out for themselves. And others, perhaps technically and mechanically challenged, aren't doing anything except living with it. And still others pay the price for the want of a dab, or two, or three, of solder!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have also had problems with my fobs and even took a chance and ordered "replacement" fobs from EBAY. Even lost one. Just my luck, the ones I ordered had keys that were cut. Though about trying to swap the internals, but was afraid that I may lose the coding and not be able to program either without going to the dealer/locksmith. At any rate, I'm just making due until I find some that are not as expensive. I had even more problems with the car no starting, from time to time, as the key would not turn. Previously mentioned this and wasn't sure if it was the fob or the ignition switch or both. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, you just have to wait until the key decides to turn. (this after many tries, lock/unlock/etc..). Still thinking about purchasing "uncut" key fobs, when there's a price for two, that I can work with.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
There must be a design flaw or poor workmanship with these things. My son's Jeep key fob failed last week and it was the same problem.

Bernie

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is a flaw. They know it as well. However what the charge to get new ones they are not going to do any major changes. If you guys want me to work them over, let me finish testing and I will be able to fix them. For sure not for the amount they are charging.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd planned to get at least one new fob/key done by a locksmith this week, until I ordered new ones from EBAY. BUT...I may have waited too long, because, this a.m. neither key would turn in the ignition. Going to give a new battery a try in one (the other, the battery holder has broken) but I'm feeling that some stealership or locksmith is about to make big bucks as a result of my procrastination. Therefore:

Desiree: Forward please me your DIY email w/pics if still available
Abhunter: Please keep me posted. Thanx!!!!

- John

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
i have 1 bad one so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine was bad too

I had one go bad after going through the washer and dryer. After taking it apart and using a spare ultrasonic toothbrush and peroxide I got this one to look new with no more evidence of water damage. (However it still did not work)

When I took the C to the dealer for other miscellaneous issues, I had them check out this FOB. When I picked up the car, they ended up replacing BOTH fobs for my 06 - C under warranty. Wow!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bad Fob And Ignition Cynlinder

but I'm feeling that some stealership or locksmith is about to make big bucks as a result of my procrastination.
Well guys,
:rolleyes:I'm not sure whether getting a new fob sooner would have saved me pain or not, but the car was towed yesterday (yep, couldn't even get the cylinder to turn) to the stealership. Not only am I paying for a new fob, but the ignition cylinder as well, for a 120K non-warranty total of $643.29. NUFF SAID, huh?:shocked:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts