Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone is auctioning a 300 Key. What can you do with it? It is already keyed and not a blank! If anything like a Mercedes key since 1998 they have a finite number or keys (8 or so) per car and you order it with your VIN. Once the keys are issued you cannot order another and have to replace the key system. Mercedes has no blanks!

300C Key Ebay Auction!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I saw that too. I don't know what this dude is thinking. Have you contacted the seller to see if its really cut and not just a pic?

·
Registered
110 Posts
If nothing else, I like the fact that the Fob is built into the key. Makes for a much cleaner key ring in my pocket : )

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hemiman said:
I saw that too. I don't know what this dude is thinking. Have you contacted the seller to see if its really cut and not just a pic?
Seems to me that if the key was uncut or a blank he would list that info in the auction. If if had blank key he could just take a pic of it - the seller is a Ebay Power Seller and is not a novice at Ebay auctions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
300c key on ebay

I just received an email for the key guy on ebay. The key is cut. However he states that the key is also removable from the remote and a blank cut to your specs can be placed in the cut blanks place. is this right? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hemiman said:
I just received an email for the key guy on ebay. The key is cut. However he states that the key is also removable from the remote and a blank cut to your specs can be placed in the cut blanks place. is this right? :confused:
Don't know! However, how do you program the remote functions for another car?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Replacement Key Information from the 300 series Owner's Manual

Hello Gang,

Just a note to shed more light on this situation. On page 13 of the 300 series Owner's Manual, (Not sure if on the same page in the SRT-8 Owner's Manual) it states..."Only keys that have been programmed to the vehicle electronics can be used to start the vehicle. Once a Sentry Key has been programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed to another vehicle."

I hope this information helps.....

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto

·
Registered
79 Posts
Folks sell all kinds of stuff on eBay. Best bet is get an uncut key and have your local hardware store do the grinding for you. Then program as per the manual. Easy, takes about a minute. I did exactly this as I needed as 3rd key. Key was about $40 on ebay, was new in the DC sealed plastic pack and the hardware store charged $1 for the cutting. Don't remember who the seller was but there always seems to be some out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello Gang,

Just a note to shed more light on this situation. On page 13 of the 300 series Owner's Manual, (Not sure if on the same page in the SRT-8 Owner's Manual) it states..."Only keys that have been programmed to the vehicle electronics can be used to start the vehicle. Once a Sentry Key has been programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed to another vehicle."

I hope this information helps.....

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto
is this true?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
anyone? d

Yes, it is true. Once a key is programmed for another vehicle you can not program it to your vehicle and vice versa. Trust me, I tried --along with two reputable locksmiths and the dealership. The only reason for purchasing a used/preprogrammed key would be if you were looking to replace the keypad.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
Yes, it is true. Once a key is programmed for another vehicle you can not program it to your vehicle and vice versa. Trust me, I tried --along with two reputable locksmiths and the dealership. The only reason for purchasing a used/preprogrammed key would be if you were looking to replace the keypad.

not completely true..

if the key is erased using the Star Scan, then it can be programmed to another car..

it has to be in the original car, erased via the star scan, then removed..

then the electronics are free to be used in another car..

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Marc-the hell with R.I. Move here to Jersey.You audio and program your magic-I'll paint'um

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Little further than an hour :) Maybe they can set ya up in a H.O. I'm a half hour from Philly on the way to AC

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
not completely true..

if the key is erased using the Star Scan, then it can be programmed to another car..

it has to be in the original car, erased via the star scan, then removed..

then the electronics are free to be used in another car..

:pat: Thanks Marc. Dealership didn't even know it was possible. I just took the transponders out and placed them in a ziplock lol Now, if I could erase those(which is impossible considering no car), I'd have lots to play with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts