Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
What can I do about my ugly roof antenna?
Can I replace it at any way?

What have you done to it?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just cut it off with a grind wheel, it'll be fine....:biggrin:

actually there are aftermarket stick on glass antena, they're a pain in the rear to instal and they don't always stick how they are supposed to (hence the pain to install) but if you do get it on there right it looks almost factory, there is a barely nosticable line where the tape used to hold it in place sticks but it looks and works just as well....
available at most of your finer automotive accesory dealers... LOL

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey guys!

Dude i've unscrewed the rod and been rolling around town with just the bottom part for about 2 weeks now. Now i don't listen to AM or FM all that much, but i haven't had ANY reception problems at all (even on AM or FM)

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think, it can be removed and the hole is closed with some rubber plug or black silicone.

I tried searching for some shorter solutions, but to no avail.

Pizda, what does your nick mean or what are you trying to say about yourself? :))

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think, it can be removed and the hole is closed with some rubber plug or black silicone.

I tried searching for some shorter solutions, but to no avail.

Pizda, what does your nick mean or what are you trying to say about yourself? :))
So, where can i fint this plug?

Pizda means something in Russia. Look it up for you self ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
So, where can i fint this plug?

Pizda means something in Russia. Look it up for you self ;)
you really dont need one but if it makes you feel better go to a hardware store or Home Depot and look around there...theres gotta be some kinda rubber or plastic something or other you can put in there. JUST LOOK AROUND. You'll find something

·
Registered
650 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
My wife's new Liberty has one of those fishtails and when it's parked next to my 300 you can see how it really is a eyesore. I much prefer my 300's setup next to the fishtail. Why did Chrysler mess up a good thing?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
My wife's new Liberty has one of those fishtails and when it's parked next to my 300 you can see how it really is a eyesore. I much prefer my 300's setup next to the fishtail. Why did Chrysler mess up a good thing?
What if you paint it to match body color?
Gary

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey guys!

Make sure it's not for the nav? Taking it off can't hurt the nav. because it stinks anyway. I'm getting more used to using it and it usually will take you off a highway/direct route onto clogged local streets! No matter what setting selected(shortest/fastest) What's the use in that? I try it out on local trips to check it and it makes no sense. I guess you won't get lost but I want the direct route to my destination. If I had to use it on a long trip I can't trust it. I figure that all these aftermarket navs have it sorted out why not Chrysler? A simple software change, no? Anyone else getting the same results? Sorry to hijack.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Navigation antenna is located somewhere in the dashboard. Thus it will not be affected by any changes to rooftop antenna.

Sirius antenna is located in the base of the roof antenna. Stick is used for FM/AM. Sirius is not affected by changes to length of the stick antenna and I did not notice my short antenna mods affected AM/FM reception in any way. I keep long OEM antenna in trunk for an unlikely event I may need it somewhere where radio signal may be very weak.

With either mod the antenna is no longer eyesore. The only problem I have, I cannot decide which one of the shorter mods looks better. :)

oldmac1, I feel, on Jeep OEM antenna is not much of a problem. Jeeps are taller so the antenna not as visible, better fits vehicle proportions, and they are expected to have more rugged look anyway.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Navigation antenna is located somewhere in the dashboard. Thus it will not be affected by any changes to rooftop antenna.

Sirius antenna is located in the base of the roof antenna. Stick is used for FM/AM. Sirius is not affected by changes to length of the stick antenna and I did not notice my short antenna mods affected AM/FM reception in any way. I keep long OEM antenna in trunk for an unlikely event I may need it somewhere where radio signal may be very weak.

With either mod the antenna is no longer eyesore. The only problem I have, I cannot decide which one of the shorter mods looks better. :)

oldmac1, I feel, on Jeep OEM antenna is not much of a problem. Jeeps are taller so the antenna not as visible, better fits vehicle proportions, and they are expected to have more rugged look anyway.
Doesn't the antenna unscrew from the base?
Did you try finding a plug and go without any antenna at all?
Would kinda look like this photo chop.
I rarely listen to the radio, so any loss in FM reception would not be a big deal for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Doesn't the antenna unscrew from the base?
Did you try finding a plug and go without any antenna at all?
Would kinda look like this photo chop.
I rarely listen to the radio, so any loss in FM reception would not be a big deal for me.
Yes, I can be unscrewed. It only takes couple minutes to replace.

Shoeboy posted somewhere pictures with OEM antenna completely removed. I do not like how it looks with hole and unfinished dome after OEM antenna is removed. I would rather have short antenna to cover it. One I have on top is only 1.5" long and another is 2.5" long.

I was thinking about some dome shaped cover to screw into the hole, but I have not seen anything appropriate yet. I did not notice degradation in reception in my area without any antenna rod, but this is likely due to strong signal coverage we get. This may be of issue in more remote other areas. I would prefer to keep FM and AM for local news and just pure variety of programming.

·
Registered
639 Posts
guys here it is. picture of my antenna. Yes, ALL I DID WAS UNSCREW IT. it was a 7 second job. reach up there and uncsrew it like any other unscrewable object. OH AND IF you don't like it with the antenna off....GUESS WHAT? you can screw it back on. You can do it. Its really not as tough as some of these posts are making it sound. as i mentioned in the post on page one...you MAY lose a little bit of AM/FM reception. That depends on your area. everything else works the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
click the link to another thread. it has links to ebay auctions for the antennas.
if the listings are expired, look for the same item from the same seller. 2 min replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
click the link to another thread. it has links to ebay auctions for the antennas.
if the listings are expired, look for the same item from the same seller. 2 min replacement.
Got the 1.5" like you have from Mangowalk on ebay, and love it. Slight drop in reception on distant stations but nothing serious.

Thanks for the heads up!

Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you please post a picture?:biggrin:

Hey Bluer,

Sorry it took so long for me to get a pic and post it for you.

This is the same antenna that "Ricardo" in this forum is using. The one pictured here on my car is the 1.5 inch version, althought they are available in a vairety of longer sizes. You can find the vendor (Mangowalk) at their ebay store:

eBay Store - Mangowalk Inc: car

Slight loss of signal on distant AM/FM stations, and no effect at all on Sirius reception. Comes with 4 adapters for various applications.

Hope this helps you.

Ed

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts