Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Have a 2006 300C and the cooling fans have stopped working.

Cools fine when moving, so don't expect other cooling issues.

Fans DO NOT come on with rising coolant temp, nor do they come on with the A/C.

Only info I could find on relays shows 2 relays side by side, but I've also seen THREE cooling relays mentioned in text. Relay/fuse box is not labeled, so don't know if I need to be looking for a third one.

The two I've found check good for relay coil continuity and the N/C contact shows very low resistance. Didn't power them up to check the resistance of N/O contact.

40A and 50A fuses check good.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Administrator
13,060 Posts
Try powering up the fans at the motor electrical connections to see if they turn. If they do, check continuity in the harness between the fans and the front power distribution center.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
X2 ^^^ As above, best way is to get power to the motors to see if the blades spin.

Heres what to do -

Pop the hood, look at the assy and follow the fan wiring loom from the motors, which meet to a central plug (grey colour), which is attached at the top corner of the plastic assy itself.

Unplug it & you will see 4 pins. The wires should be colour coordinated- connect 12+ supply to the red wire and negative to the black wire.

Alternatively, you could remove the assy, dismantle the motors and put a feed to see if they spin. If they don't spin, renew them or alternatively get an aftermarket uprated fans.

If the fans are OK, then you need to replace the relays. There are 3, which all contribute to the functioning of the fans. Best to replace all 3, since relay is cheaper to replace so its not worth testing them.

OEM's look a bit like this

Here the diagram of the relays

Reactions: RADIOSTEVE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both BADGX and MADDOG for the suggestions.

I would have tested the fans directly sooner, but I JUST KNEW it was going to be a PITA to get to anything. To my surprise, the needed connector was 'right there' and easy to deal with.

1/4" male spade connectors fit into the female connector just fine. Used some #10 fine strand red/black wire left over from another project to connect to a deep cycle battery. There is no good news to report, as nothing from the red/black wired fan. I put the spade connectors into the other pair of contacts in the connector, with the same results.

BTW, before I put the DC to it, I checked with an ohm meter. Both pairs showed 'open', where I would have expected some low value, assuming 15 +/- amps, or so, current draw from the fan motor. 14 amps would be right at 1 ohm resistance.

So, assume from this that I need TWO fan motors. I guess one crapped out but wasn't noticed, and didn't affect the cooling to any great degree (no pun intended.) My wife has the a/c on 99% of the time and that one fan was probably enough. Then, recently the second fan went 'poof'.

Can someone suggest a reasonably priced, reliable source for replacement fans? Or, at least suggest who to stay away from.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Best place is the auto breakers, would probably work out cheaper. Make sure you check the fan blades are not broken or cracked. I think there was a recall on the radiator fan motors at some point, but I've not seen it myself.

Also found this on ebay, its expensive but it is new and comes with new fan blades

DODGE CHRYSLER CHARGER CHALLENGER MAGNUM 300 300C RADIATOR FAN MOTOR & BLADE SET | eBay

The other alternative is to find an decent aftermarket uprated fans. I run liquid petroleum gas, which burns a little hotter than conventional unleaded, so have uprated to double 12" push fans at the front with straight blades :yup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success!

Want to thank all that helped with this.

Was really amazed how easy it was to remove the fan assembly. Not at all what I was expecting. Just knew it was going to be a pain, but it wasn't.

Got a whole new complete assembly from 1A Auto. New shroud, new fans, new motors for just a couple of bucks over $100, INCLUDING shipping, which got it here to VA in three days.
Also came with a year warranty. I hope I don't need to find out if that's any good.

Again, thanks for the help.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts