Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Euro cousins got any early owner experiences relevant to the 300C CRD which goes on sale in UK this month. Particularly interested in the Startech SD6 performance tuning kit but this would appear to be an ideal forum to share info on the diesel model which no doubt will be the most popular model in Europe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Geordie said:
Any Euro cousins got any early owner experiences relevant to the 300C CRD which goes on sale in UK this month. Particularly interested in the Startech SD6 performance tuning kit but this would appear to be an ideal forum to share info on the diesel model which no doubt will be the most popular model in Europe.
I have no idea what you are banging on about, what is that Startech SD6 performance tuning kit? My dealer didn't mention it...

ANyways, just covered about 800miles in two days. No worries what so ever. Car felt very solid when I took the car to 230Km/h (142Mph) on studded winter tires on a icy motorway (in a controlled environment of course ;) ).

I love the endless torque, it makes the car absolute blast to drive. Even in the high speeds I got no wind noise, no rattles, no shakes. Only thing I don't like so far is the MB style traction control, which cannot be turned off completely, makes you look like a handicap trying to have some fun with the car...

The transmission is soooooooooooooooooo smooth, all you really have to do is just sit in the car and steer every now and then and enjoy the ride. ;)

Interior could use some more lighting for instance there is now light in the big center console storage box, why? Anyone put a light in there? There no ashtray light, no light in the cupholders... The interior still has some of the old american car interior features ( a lot of cheepo plastic here and there). But the overall build quality is very good, the leather seats are most comfortable, I sat in the car for 6 hours yesterday and I could still feel my butt once I got out ;)

IMO this is the best value for money in it's class... Easily!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
300C CRD (diesel) Owners Experiences

groovyjay said:
I have no idea what you are banging on about, what is that Startech SD6 performance tuning kit? My dealer didn't mention it...


Pleased to know the CRD is living up to your expectations.

The Startech SD6 performance tuning kit is approved by DCx specifically for the 300C CRD and increases the power output from 218 to 262bhp. The sprint from zero to 100km/h is reduced from 7.6 to 7.2 secs. and peak torque between 1600 and 2800rpm is increased from 510Nm to 580Nm. It costs 1589 euros (plus fitting) and can be installed by your DCx dealer in 30 minutes. Not sure what effect it has upon the overall fuel consumption.

Happy motoring!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Geordie said:
Pleased to know the CRD is living up to your expectations.

The Startech SD6 performance tuning kit is approved by DCx specifically for the 300C CRD and increases the power output from 218 to 262bhp. The sprint from zero to 100km/h is reduced from 7.6 to 7.2 secs. and peak torque between 1600 and 2800rpm is increased from 510Nm to 580Nm. It costs 1589 euros (plus fitting) and can be installed by your DCx dealer in 30 minutes. Not sure what effect it has upon the overall fuel consumption.

Happy motoring!
Thanks for the info Geordie, I had no idea there was such a mod available through the dealers! I'll make a quick phone call to my dealer on monday to see if it would be possible to have it installed on my car and still have the factory warranty! :banana:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Startech SD6 Tuning Kit for 300C CRD

groovyjay said:
Thanks for the info Geordie, I had no idea there was such a mod available through the dealers! I'll make a quick phone call to my dealer on monday to see if it would be possible to have it installed on my car and still have the factory warranty! :banana:[/QUOTE

Just received an update from my contact at Startech re the SD6 Tuning Kit. Apparently when driven under 'normal' conditions a 300C CRD fitted with the SD6 Kit will use LESS fuel as less throttle is needed owing to the increased torque. When the vehicle is otherwise used (presumably foot to the floor etc) the vehicle will use an increased fuel consumption of between 1/2 and 1 litre per 100km (don't know what the US / UK conversion figure is).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Geordie said:
groovyjay said:
Thanks for the info Geordie, I had no idea there was such a mod available through the dealers! I'll make a quick phone call to my dealer on monday to see if it would be possible to have it installed on my car and still have the factory warranty! :banana:[/QUOTE

Just received an update from my contact at Startech re the SD6 Tuning Kit. Apparently when driven under 'normal' conditions a 300C CRD fitted with the SD6 Kit will use LESS fuel as less throttle is needed owing to the increased torque. When the vehicle is otherwise used (presumably foot to the floor etc) the vehicle will use an increased fuel consumption of between 1/2 and 1 litre per 100km (don't know what the US / UK conversion figure is).
I talked to my dealer today about this and they hadn't even heard of such a kit!!! I did send him this link: http://www.startech.de/s01e.htm And he said he was going to get back to me ASAP. I'm really sold on the product if it is possible to get it installed here with the factory warranty... We'll see...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Startech SD6 Tuning Kit

groovyjay said:
I talked to my dealer today about this and they hadn't even heard of such a kit!!! I did send him this link: http://www.startech.de/s01e.htm And he said he was going to get back to me ASAP. I'm really sold on the product if it is possible to get it installed here with the factory warranty... We'll see...

Your well ahead of the game groovyjay and if you get it you will probably be one of the first . Let us know your progress.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
3 cheers for Daimler Chrysler.

My new black crd came today 3 weeks early.

Despite one difference from the car that I ordered (hopefully sortoutable by my local dealer) my car looks fantastic and I can't wait for the weekend (fingers crossed) to go cruising the highways & byways of the Lake District.

One really nice discovery is that on the CRD the front numberplate is DEFINITELY able to be turned upside down to show the grill off to it's full effect - especially important if you've gone for an aftermarket grill like I have.

Murphy The Cat


p.s. My new car is going to be called Arnie. For the following 3 reasons.
1) Both born in the same country.
2) Both are now recognised worldwide as American products.
3) When dressed in black with tints, both are about the meanest things you could see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
Murphy The Cat said:
p.s. My new car is going to be called Arnie. For the following 3 reasons.
1) Both born in the same country.
2) Both are now recognised worldwide as American products.
3) When dressed in black with tints, both are about the meanest things you could see.
Murph,

Congrats on the arrival of "Arnie". Hope he drives better than the Governator:



Here's to many happy miles behind the wheel:



Or more appropriately:



Rick

REINSTATE RALPH 'SPECKLER' MARTENS
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
HealeyRick said:
Murph,

Congrats on the arrival of "Arnie". Hope he drives better than the Governator:



Here's to many happy miles behind the wheel:



Or more appropriately:



Rick

REINSTATE RALPH 'SPECKLER' MARTENS

Hi HealeyRick

I comapre my position to Mrs Cat going into the maternity ward to give birth.
If the plans had gone ahead (as planned) me and Arnie would be out tearing up the Lake District tomorrow.
But you know how it is with these things. They can't be rushed. So Arnies getting his tints done on Monday now.
And his numberplate etc modded on Tuesday.
And Murphy gets him on Wednesday - pictures to follow of the happy event !

Murphy The Cat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Have a CRD for one week. Possibly the first registered in Ireland. Very good - a real head turner. Handling good/ride a bit fiddly at low speedQuestions: When the light on the aircon switch is lit does that mean the aircon is on or off? Also why do the headlights come on with the first press of the remote sometimes and other times it takes two presses? There is nothing else like it on the road in these parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First Irish 300C CRD

diarmaid said:
Have a CRD for one week. Possibly the first registered in Ireland. Very good - a real head turner. Handling good/ride a bit fiddly at low speedQuestions: When the light on the aircon switch is lit does that mean the aircon is on or off? Also why do the headlights come on with the first press of the remote sometimes and other times it takes two presses? There is nothing else like it on the road in these parts.
Hey there 'Diarmaid'...

Welcome and congrats on your new 300C CRD. Can't help with your queries (re my vehicle still on order until March) but there are a few new Euro CRD owners who I am sure will respond!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
diarmaid said:
Have a CRD for one week. Possibly the first registered in Ireland. Very good - a real head turner. Handling good/ride a bit fiddly at low speedQuestions: When the light on the aircon switch is lit does that mean the aircon is on or off? Also why do the headlights come on with the first press of the remote sometimes and other times it takes two presses? There is nothing else like it on the road in these parts.
To best of my knowledge, the automatic climate conrol is on when you have all the round heater/A/C knobs on auto-setting the actual aircon button is for the extra cold air if you really need it this time of the year...:wink1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Geordie said:
Hey there 'Diarmaid'...

Welcome and congrats on your new 300C CRD. Can't help with your queries (re my vehicle still on order until March) but there are a few new Euro CRD owners who I am sure will respond!
Hi Diarmaid, if both of the climate dials are set in "Auto" and you press the AC or Re Circ buttons, the light will flash and then extinguish. These features are contolled automatically by the climate unit. In Manual setting the light indicates that the system is ON.

As to the remote headlights I have noticed the same thing but cannot shed any light upon the reason!

Hope you are enjoying the beast!

Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
diarmaid said:
Have a CRD for one week. Also why do the headlights come on with the first press of the remote sometimes and other times it takes two presses? There is nothing else like it on the road in these parts.
OK Diarmaid.

I am going to make a sweeping guess before I get to the meat of my post.
I bet, one week in, that every morning that you go out to your car, you look like a little boy who has ad all of his birtdays & Christmas pressies rolled into one and he can't believe his luck.

Does your grin last all of the way in to work ? MY CRD (Arnie) came last week as well, and my grin lasts alll of my 12 mile trip to work !

Right then, I'll let you into a secret regarding the "mystery flashes".
One flash is secret code for "I Love you Diarmaid, drive me gently", whereas 2 flashes is for "I love you Diarmaid, drive me hard".
So there you go.

Glad you're enjoying your motor.

MTC


p.s. what's your cars name ? You can't call it "my 300c" or "my CRD", surely you have a name for your motor. Mv car is called Arnie - which I think is very appropraite.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
First decent run out today

150 mile round trip to Lancashire and back today.

It can't be legal to have this much fun in a car.

Murphy The Cat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
This sure is one hell of a car. Coming from an Audi A6 I,m not used to all this attention. Everywhere I go people come over to study it - not a car to move about discretely in.
I,m getting about 28mpg on short trips. Haven'y done a long trip yet. What are other owners getting?
Pity the front number plate intrudes apon the grill. Is there any way round this?
Also what do people think of the Bently style grill? Too bling?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
first negative comment today :nutkick:

this is how shallow some people can be.

When I was away from work yesterday, a customer came in specifically to look at my new "Bentley Coninental". With me not being there he told my manager that he would no longer be buying goods from me, because seeing as how I now had a Bentley, it was obvious that I no longer needed his trade - what a sad git.

I sometimes despair at how shallow some people can be.

MTC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Murphy The Cat said:
this is how shallow some people can be.

When I was away from work yesterday, a customer came in specifically to look at my new "Bentley Coninental". With me not being there he told my manager that he would no longer be buying goods from me, because seeing as how I now had a Bentley, it was obvious that I no longer needed his trade - what a sad git.

I sometimes despair at how shallow some people can be.

MTC
Ahh Mr. Murphy, I see you have taken some away from the wheel to update us on your progress. In my incumbent role of dealing with the public every day I believe you have encountered one of the more common species. Without making too many sweeping assumptions we can categorise Arnies admirer as one of the following.

1.Minimus Iratus Compleo or Little angry man. Identifiable as always (due to some evolutionary oddity) being just below chin height of the nearest civilised male. Will frequently have a thinning or departed mane and will most often be capable of, "kissing a mountain goat between the horns". During confrontation the neck and face areas will turn bright red. Furthermore, Post Mortems of deceased specimens have shown irrefutable evidence of tiny reproductive organs and a surprising lack of vertebrae!

Common behaviour includes: shouting loudly (a recognised method of distraction, intended to give the appearance of greater physical presence);

Displaying a total and utter contempt for all primates, particularly female, in any retail outlet visited,

The undying belief that despite being out of his home territory he can command utmost authority, in any situation, by gesticulating wildly and frothing slightly at the mouth.

Any person employed in a sales or customer service role will instantly feel nauseous and irritable following exposure.

For the greater good and general well being of those in the immediate area it is imperative that the offending specimen be removed from decent company at the first opportunity.

Despite appearances to the contrary Minimus Iratus Compleo is however very easily dealt with in most situations. Most outlets now keep in their employ at least one Maximus Iratus Compleo, the main predator of our subject, who will approach the now frantic diminutive member of the public from the rear. Once within reach, Maximus will draw themselves up to full height, expand their chest and announce, “Sir, if we can't settle this problem civilly, perhaps Sir would care to pick a window?”

For the few establishments not blessed with a resident, “Big Chap”, it is accepted that there is only other recognised method guaranteed to succeed. DON’T GET INVOLVED! Repeated studies have shown that after an initial period of increased frustration our, “ Grumpy wee Bas*^%d" will lose patience and depart for his nearest local council, estate agent or PC World where he will be guaranteed a fight!

All else aside murph, who got to drive home in the Beast?

Trust you are well!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
hello Belmont

I loved your post. I refer to it as "Napolean complex"!

I'm 6 ft 3in tall and built for comfort (not for speed) and funnily enough people are usually very polite to my face. I was just a but peed off by this guys attitude.

MTC


p.s. I have dragged people across 3 rows in the cinema before now to ask them politely to stop talking - funnily enough they always do.
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top