Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum - I found it when researching whether DaimlerChrysler intended to offer a 300C CRD (diesel) for the US in 2007. We own a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD and have been thrilled with the highway mileage, ability to burn bio-diesel, etc.

We're contemplating getting a 300C, but if a diesel will be offered for 2007, we'll definitely wait. Also, any idea if the diesel would be offered with all-wheel-drive?

Thanks for any advice / rumors / etc.!

·
Registered
69 Posts
BKH said:
I am new to this forum - I found it when researching whether DaimlerChrysler intended to offer a 300C CRD (diesel) for the US in 2007. We own a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD and have been thrilled with the highway mileage, ability to burn bio-diesel, etc.

We're contemplating getting a 300C, but if a diesel will be offered for 2007, we'll definitely wait. Also, any idea if the diesel would be offered with all-wheel-drive?

Thanks for any advice / rumors / etc.!
I have no idea if they will sell it in the USA, but I doubt there will be an 4wd version as the front end and engine bay is rather different and the market will be limited. But you are right to wait. Cracking engine and it suits the car perfectly.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think U.S. emissions are a big problem with the CRD model. We also burn a different grade of diesel than most of Europe, making the CRD unable to run in its current calibration in the U.S. It isn't a simple solution of dropping the Diesel into the 300. It would require some expensive re-engineering. I may bo wrong, but I think the Liberty CRD will be disco'd after the 2006 model because of 2007 U.S. standards that will make it next to impossible to certify a diesel in the U.S. with the fuel we use. It's too bad, really. I would love a 300 wagon CRD. I love the idea of an "estate" version of the 300. But we're likely not to see it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
LWOOD said:
I think U.S. emissions are a big problem with the CRD model. We also burn a different grade of diesel than most of Europe, making the CRD unable to run in its current calibration in the U.S. It isn't a simple solution of dropping the Diesel into the 300. It would require some expensive re-engineering. I may bo wrong, but I think the Liberty CRD will be disco'd after the 2006 model because of 2007 U.S. standards that will make it next to impossible to certify a diesel in the U.S. with the fuel we use. It's too bad, really. I would love a 300 wagon CRD. I love the idea of an "estate" version of the 300. But we're likely not to see it.
This is a chicken-and-egg problem. One would think that refineries would make clean burning diesel available here, if there were cars to burn it. Someone else said that clean diesel would be here in a year. Are the 2007 standards so strict that even that fuel will be inadequate?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi BKH

I hear that Daimler Chrysler are making plans to try to get the Mercedes E320 CDI with the same "OM642" 3.0 V6 engine as the Euro 300c diesel approved for use in California, which I understand has the strictest emissions regulations in force in the US.

To do this they are going to use something they have developed for commercial trucks in Europe called Adblue, an additive topped up at regular services that works in conjunction with a catalyst added to the exhaust to reduce emissions.

Not sure if the quality / grade of diesel fuel available in the US makes a difference to this.

I'm sure it wouldn't take too much effort to put the same technology into the 300c.

Some more info at this site:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/08/detroit-auto-show-mercedes-benz-launches-clean-diesels-for-the/

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
BKH said:
...We're contemplating getting a 300C, but if a diesel will be offered for 2007, we'll definitely wait...
I've seen some of the specs for the 2007 LX model year and a diesel was not listed for North America. I am almost positive that you will not see this option for the 2007 LX models.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They are supposed to have the low sulfur diesel here in 2007, that is why all of your light truck manufacturers are offering bigger (better) engines here for the 2007 models to comply with the new fuel regulations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts