Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
300C H.I.D. Xenon Bulb is D1S. Surprised they are using a First Generation hard to fit bulb. The D2S amd D2R are more common. The D1S bulb was used in the Lincoln Mark VIII.

The Halogen bulbs used in all the other cars are:

9006XS low
9005 hi

Wished they had used a more standard HID bulb - D2S and also new H-Series halogen bulbs like & H1, H3 and especially the H7 bulb.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This D1S design looks like it would be inexpensive to replace. It looks like the ballast is part of the bulb. Is your only beef against it, that it is hard to find? The 300C I ordered will have the HID option, I wonder if it would have been cheaper to get regular Halogen and replace with HID, later. So you think that the Halogen and HID are interchangeable on the 300C?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Getting HID from the factory is always the best bet. Trying to modify or retrofit HID is a risky proposition especially if one trys to use those re-based HID bulbs that fit in the Halogen sockets. The beam and the lighting results can be mixed.

The option is only $650 and you get headlamp washer nozzles. Each 300C HID headlamp from the Chrysler Dealer Parts Department will probably cost more than the Factory options of $650 for each side. Plus, it is against DOT and State Law to retrofit headlamps even if you are using the same parts that came from the factory. Most dealers will not install HID even using OEM parts.

It will be much more expensive upgrading to OEM HID 300C units from owners with 300, 300 Touring and 300 Limited. It looks like you will also have to change the front bumper.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good point. That was my thinking too when I selected that option for my 300C. How do the HID's look at night? Can you see a difference?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GMLind said:
Good point. That was my thinking too when I selected that option for my 300C. How do the HID's look at night? Can you see a difference?
I think the difference is noticealbe and worth it. I did not really want to pay extra for HID on my 1998 E430, but the car had every other option I wanted, so I took it. After driving them since 1998 I would never buy a car without them if available. I am upset that the Dodge Magnum does not have the HID option. I am not as enthusiastic about buying a Magnum RT when learn abut the no HID option.

The bulbs, although expensive, are rated to last the lifetime of the vehicle. Plus, I hate the look of yellow headlamps. :(

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm going to be installing an aftermarket H.I.D. kit today.

I'll post the details later on.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
NHTSA has outlawed all retrofit, aftermarket HID kits for import into the US.

Get them from the factory; don't be cheap.

Factory HIDs will ALWAYS be better than aftermarket HIDs. Light dispersion and lens from the factory are made for HIDs. If they're not, you won't get the light output and dispersion that's optimal w/a retrofit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Umm... If I wanted to wait months for a 300 C instead of already owning, driving, and enjoying one I would have bought the Factory HID... Instead I have one of the first ones on the road, with a sunroof.... I think I can live with my "cheap" HID's..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do you know where I can get after market HID for 300c? I just got mine today and all along I thought I had them. Around how much and where? thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
The kit that we installed today has a few things that need to be sorted out. The problem is only specific to the Chrysler 300.

The unit is basically plug and play the new lights power up perfectly with the vehicle off, but when you start the car and turn the lights on they do a strange strobe effect. This is not normal, we tried the kit on several other cars and nothing like this happened on them, so the defect is not in the kit, but has something to do with they way Chrysler regulates the voltage to the headlamps.
With a voltmeter and the headlights off they are getting 12vdc. Then you turn them on and the voltage drops to 8vdc and then fluctuates. That explains the strobe effect. We then installed relays and that seemed to fix most of the problem, now it's intermittant. I drove around all evening and had very few problems. I'm sure we will have it figured out in a couple of days. I think we are going to put together a specific kit for the 300c once we get all the bugs worked out.
I have no clue on pricing as of yet but it will be less than $500.00 for sure. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Ron

BTW These lights look bad ass!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The 300 uses a 9006XS bulb for low-beam and no one makes a retrofit kit for the Chrysler specific 9006XS bulb that I am aware of. Note - the 9006XS and 9006 are not the same bulb.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I found a website that sells 9006XS, sylvania silver star. It just costs a little bit more than 9006. Its hard to find though. Most of the websites do not carry the 9006XS. I just looked in your web page and am trying to copy how your friend modified his lights on his white 300c. Problem is I don't think I can put lights in myself. Have to take out a lot of things to get to bulb. Will just bring it to dealer and have them install it

·
Registered
9 Posts
E55 KEV said:
300C H.I.D. Xenon Bulb is D1S. Surprised they are using a First Generation hard to fit bulb. The D2S amd D2R are more common. The D1S bulb was used in the Lincoln Mark VIII.

The Halogen bulbs used in all the other cars are:

9006XS low
9005 hi

Wished they had used a more standard HID bulb - D2S and also new H-Series halogen bulbs like & H1, H3 and especially the H7 bulb.
The D1S is not a First Generation Bulb, the D1 was the firstgeneration bulb, then the D2S came out, then shortly after the D1S. The D1S was designed so that ballasts could be moved further away from the bulbs, With a D2S the wire from the Ballast/Ignitor Combo has to Carry 32Kv and a long wire would just be too dangerous. The D1 was pretty much a Complete Failure it Ran on D/C, unlike the D2S and D1S using A/C

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IS300M said:
The D1S is not a First Generation Bulb, the D1 was the firstgeneration bulb, then the D2S came out, then shortly after the D1S. The D1S was designed so that ballasts could be moved further away from the bulbs, With a D2S the wire from the Ballast/Ignitor Combo has to Carry 32Kv and a long wire would just be too dangerous. The D1 was pretty much a Complete Failure it Ran on D/C, unlike the D2S and D1S using A/C
Thanks for the history. What cars actually used a D1?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts