Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked in search and couldn't find any info. Has anyone got their 300C to red limiter to the end?

I have, a few times, and I thought I was going to have some trouble. I did it by using the autostick, waiting to get it to the low end of second gear, then at the same time mashing the pedal and downshifting the stick to first!

The car didn't shift into 2nd if stayed in first and hit the limiter the needle almost going off the charts!

What kind of damage can be done with this fat hemi, I used to do that in my old prelude all the time, but that pocket rocket screamed to 8,000, on a daily basis. This Hemi, doesn't like to get near the Red, I'm sure for good reason that's why I'm concerned.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
The MDS can be damaged over the redline so your concerns are warranted. If you are going to use auto stick ensure you shift at red and not beyond.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GEN XER said:
The MDS can be damaged over the redline so your concerns are warranted. If you are going to use auto stick ensure you shift at red and not beyond.
Good info, what kills me is that in autostick, the cars computer doesn't let you get in the red, it shifts before the red.

So when my car blew past the red I almost $hitted my pants, I thought I blew the engine out, But everything seems okay. :eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
You are OK, just dont make it a habit of going over 6250 RPM, I think this is the point where the MDS is affected. There is a thread in this forum that talks about this subject. You can try "MDS system" in the search engine and you may find it.
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
12,606 Posts
There is nothing to be gained going over 5400 rpm. It's all about displacement and torque. The SRT-8 is tuned differently to go up in the low 6000 range.

Small engines like the Prelude need revs to generate torque. I am very surprised that your engine exceeded the shift point. I have never heard of anyone doing that, even in neutral. If it ever happens again, your ECM may be faulty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Northern Rider said:
There is nothing to be gained going over 5400 rpm. It's all about displacement and torque. The SRT-8 is tuned differently to go up in the low 6000 range.

Small engines like the Prelude need revs to generate torque. I am very surprised that your engine exceeded the shift point. I have never heard of anyone doing that, even in neutral. If it ever happens again, your ECM may be faulty.
True thing Northern. When I used to race in my Prelude, I would think that I would be faster when shifting at 8,000 which was in the red versus 7,800 that was still in the black and was the recommended shift point. I notice that after 7,800 I was actually a bit slower. Allowing to shift to 8,000 was more of a fun thing, than a perfromance thing.

An engine like the Hemi doesn't rev high to get power, because its big and fat, versus the h22 2.2 prelude engine needs to rev to get into the power band (not very much power either 195hp).

I'm thinking the ECM is bad. Getting 3.61 could fix this maybe right Northern? I have the old software still. I don't know why the dealership doesn't bump me up. When I go next week I'm going to demand it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
All the LX Hemis I've seen run on the dragstrip, everyone puts it in 1st autostick and the computer auto shifts at 5500 redline into 2nd, and again into 3rd for a 1/4 mile run. I have also seen the computer go automatically from 3rd to 4th at 5500 on all my dyno passes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BrilliantBlackHemi said:
All the LX Hemis I've seen run on the dragstrip, everyone puts it in 1st autostick and the computer auto shifts at 5500 redline into 2nd, and again into 3rd for a 1/4 mile run. I have also seen the computer go automatically from 3rd to 4th at 5500 on all my dyno passes.
True blue! That's why theres got to be something fishy with my software or something. For it to fart, and burp like that, there got to be something!
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
12,606 Posts
First300COwner said:
True thing Northern. When I used to race in my Prelude, I would think that I would be faster when shifting at 8,000 which was in the red versus 7,800 that was still in the black and was the recommended shift point. I notice that after 7,800 I was actually a bit slower. Allowing to shift to 8,000 was more of a fun thing, than a perfromance thing.

An engine like the Hemi doesn't rev high to get power, because its big and fat, versus the h22 2.2 prelude engine needs to rev to get into the power band (not very much power either 195hp).

I'm thinking the ECM is bad. Getting 3.61 could fix this maybe right Northern? I have the old software still. I don't know why the dealership doesn't bump me up. When I go next week I'm going to demand it!
They should update everyone. Just tell them that your wipers go on with the turn signals. that should do it.

As to the high revs, I'm not so sure the flash will take care of the problem. Try revving the engine in neutral, slowly bring up the RPM's to 4000. It should cut out soon after that. Don't let it go to 6000 if it won't stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
TOLD NEW SEVICE GUY THAT ENGINE WAS RUNNING SLUGGISH AT TAKE OFF. HE TOLD ME THERE WAS A FLASH FOR IT, CAR DOES HAVE BETTER ACCELERATION NOW, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS PRETTY DAMN GOOD BEFORElol
sorry about the cap guys, too lazy to re-type
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Car wouldn't go past 5400 initially - now hits 5650 regularly (5K miles later):
Maybe the onboard computers have a "break-in" period programmed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,944 Posts
Mine shifts just shy of redline, the rev limiter should prevent going over redline otherwise what is a rev limiter for. It seems that MDS should not be affected since at these levels it will be not operational and out of the damage equation (OMG unless the engine blows :eek: , but I dont think high revs will specificaly hurt MDS exclusively) doin't know fur sure.
You guys who can't get a flash done which is just plain ridiculous, when you drop your car off in the AM, bring the service writer an Egg McMuffin, I had a get one free coupon and the writer happened to be the svc. mgr. and I am his buddy now (was pretty tight with him before).
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top