Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a used 2005 C. It was built in March 05, the last month the 05's were built.

I saw a lot a post about a right pull problem, and also crown sensitivity issues. Many of these posts occured Mar 04 - June 04.... then not much more I can find.

What is the long term view of this issue?

1. Is it accepted that 300C's have crown sensitivity? Does it persist to this day? or was something changed?

2. Did the right pull problem go away after the early 300C's were made? Was is just an alignment change, or did they change parts?

Mine does seem to have crown sensitivity, but runs straight on level roads. i seem to have to hold the wheel at about 10 degrees of rotation to the left to go straight on crowned roads.

And long term insight would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Just got a used 2005 C. It was built in March 05, the last month the 05's were built.

I saw a lot a post about a right pull problem, and also crown sensitivity issues. Many of these posts occured Mar 04 - June 04.... then not much more I can find.

What is the long term view of this issue?

1. Is it accepted that 300C's have crown sensitivity? Does it persist to this day? or was something changed?

2. Did the right pull problem go away after the early 300C's were made? Was is just an alignment change, or did they change parts?

Mine does seem to have crown sensitivity, but runs straight on level roads. i seem to have to hold the wheel at about 10 degrees of rotation to the left to go straight on crowned roads.

And long term insight would be appreciated.
Completely normal. All my cars have crown sensitivity and all have perfect alignments.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
If your car tracks straight on a flat road then you are OK. New tires might help crown sensitivity. You might also check your toe. Our cars don't seem to hold their toe settings very good. If your steering wheel is aligned correctly and your car pulls to the right, first cross rotate the tires.
If the car still pulls to the right, then you likely need a front cradle adjustment. The cradle adjustment adjusts the caster. Our cars do not have camber/caster adjustments, so alignments don't help the right pull. If the cradle adjustment doesn't fix the right pull, there is a caster/camber adjustment bolt that is used as last resort.

This TSB explains it all.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_0200407.pdf

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a set of tires (brand) that is known to help?

Ya, mine tracks very well on flat road.... but if road has any type of crown, I have to hold some left turn into the wheel.

I think the reason it is more noticable is because the C is a bit heavier steering than I am used to (Chrysler minivan... yuch). I guess I have noticed that you need a bit of left steer when on a crowned road, but in my van the steering was effortless, and in the C, you can feel a bit when you are holding it left.

I guess the car design, and the big heavy engine, are going to make steering effort larger than a van, huh?

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
LX200, do you still have the O.E. Continental tires on your "C" ? On a build date as late as yours, and especially since you say it tracks straight on a level road, I would bet you it's the tires.

My car is also a late build '05 (February '05). The Actual "right pull" issue had already been solved with revised alignment specs but my car still felt like it "pulled" a little. Then I realized that If I were on a divided highway that sloped to the left in the passing lane, my car will drift left rather than right. I did some experimenting when there was no traffic and sure enough if I drive right down the middle the car tracks straight.

I only have 11,000 miles on mine and I can't afford to replace tires that aren't worn out so I don't know for sure that better tires will be less crown sensitive, but I've owned lots of cars and I've got a pretty good hunch the tires are the culprit. I found that if I increase the tire pressure to 32 psi rather than 30, it is less noticable. Also when I rotated the tires at 7,000 miles prior to a roadtrip last fall that also helped a lot.

I can't wait to buy new tires (probably Goodyear or Michelins - - NOT Continentals) for my baby!

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
My original tires were the Conti self sealers. My car was built Aug 2004 and had the right lead/pull problem. Dealer fixed the right pull. But my car would wander left to right on the freeway. Maybe the wandering was due to crown sensitivity.

After I switched to 20" Toyo Proxes the wandering (crown sensitivity?) completed stopped, but a slight right pull returned.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Is there a set of tires (brand) that is known to help?

Ya, mine tracks very well on flat road.... but if road has any type of crown, I have to hold some left turn into the wheel.

I think the reason it is more noticable is because the C is a bit heavier steering than I am used to (Chrysler minivan... yuch). I guess I have noticed that you need a bit of left steer when on a crowned road, but in my van the steering was effortless, and in the C, you can feel a bit when you are holding it left.

I guess the car design, and the big heavy engine, are going to make steering effort larger than a van, huh?
The thing is, a slight right pull on a crowned road is perfectly normal. You don't want to compensate for that seeing when you are on a flat road, it will then pull to the center which is really dangerous.

I have had three set of tires on the car.

Crappy Continentals
Winterforce Snow Tires
Good year Comfortreads

All have a a slight crown pull on crowned roads, but nothing that I really notice. Although the GoodYears make it less noticeable.

Also, have your tie-rods checked seeing they fail all the time on the 300.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts