Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently the owner of a 98 Dodge Intrepid (FWD) and have not owned a RWD car in probably 25 years. Back when FWD first came out, I remember being told how much better it performed in the snow and damn if they weren't right. Now I am being told that "today's" RWD does not have the issues in snow that cars in the 70's and 80's had. According to the dealer, I won't see a difference between RWD and my current FWD in the snow. Sorry, but that just doesn't ring true to me.

Would someone please help me with my dilemma? Can anyone tell me how they found the RWD on the 300 in comparison to FWD in snowy conditions?

I have test driven the 300C and loved it. I have to be comfortable with this issue before I feel I can order.

Oh, and BTW, GREAT FORUM!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi George, Welcome to the forum. Don't know where to go with this too much because I believe that driving in the snow has just as much to do with driver as the car itself. That being said, we got 5-6 inches of snow and sleet here today in the Boston area. The car handled great for me. I did get stuck once but it was on a very steep incline that was completely unplowed (5-6 inches). I got stuck under the same conditions with my 1996 FWD Caddy STS. My experiences in the snow so far have been fine. I really find no difference between my previous Caddy and the 300C. You will most likely have problems on roads that have excessive snow (7+ inches) that have not been plowed. This topic has been discussed on this forum before and you should be able to search for more info on it. I performed a search for "snow" on the site and got lots of results. I have posted 3 links here. You could probably search for ice/winter driving etc... to find other threads on the situation. If you live in a snow belt area that you will be traveling on unplowed roads with lots of snow then I would probably go with AWD (or if you are just really concerned about RWD in the snow). If you are not used to driving in these conditions then driving a rear wheel drive car with lots of power may give you headaches. My thought is if you are going to get stuck with this car, then you probably shouldn't be driving on the roads anyway as they are most likely unpassable. Here are some of the links I found using the search for "snow"

http://www.300cforums.com/showthread.php?t=2339&highlight=snow
http://www.300cforums.com/showthread.php?t=2273&highlight=snow
http://www.300cforums.com/showthread.php?t=2246&highlight=snow

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. Looks like it will be better than any RWD I have ever driven, better than Beemers and almost if not as good as FWD.

I am stoked to order one now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I stay in chicago and we just got a crap load of snow and so far my car slides a little bit more than what I thoughtbut still better than my last two cars (Regal and 300M). The funny thing is that its like the car won't allow you to get stuck in the snow. I just hit the gas and it slides right over whatever hump of snow is in my way.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Good test for the ESP, drive down a road with some snow on it and then double back and try to take that same path with the same speed with the ESP off... You'd be suprised how much that system keeps the rear end of the car under control... Back in the 70s and 80s they didn't have such a sophisticated system.. I know the BMW has a pretty good system, not sure if it's as good or better.

I am suprised at how much of a difference there is when I come around corners with snow in them with the ESP on and off.

Just my 2cents... I am normally in snow heaven, but there has been little to no snow here this year...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep ESP does help. In Chicago as well and found that shifting using the manual stick helped me (or at least made me feel like I was more in control) but I would be lying if it isnt different than a front wheel drive car. The backend can sway alittle but not nearly as bad as the old RWD cars. I found putting a few bodies in the trunk helped :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hehe, another easy simple thing to help the RWD in the snow is to keep your gas tank at 1/2 or better... Having 19 gallons in that tank will sure help over having 3 in it!

The bodies will help enhance what the full gas tank provides as well... =)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
HemiHEAD George said:
I am currently the owner of a 98 Dodge Intrepid (FWD) and have not owned a RWD car in probably 25 years. Back when FWD first came out, I remember being told how much better it performed in the snow and damn if they weren't right. Now I am being told that "today's" RWD does not have the issues in snow that cars in the 70's and 80's had. According to the dealer, I won't see a difference between RWD and my current FWD in the snow. Sorry, but that just doesn't ring true to me.

Would someone please help me with my dilemma? Can anyone tell me how they found the RWD on the 300 in comparison to FWD in snowy conditions?

I have test driven the 300C and loved it. I have to be comfortable with this issue before I feel I can order.

HH George,
Welcome!

I'll first point out that the traction control/ESP that the C has, has made driving a RWD vehicle in the snow comparable to that of a FWD. As others have said, drivers have more to do with driving in the snow more than any safety option. With that said I have driven in inclement weather both FWD w/traction control as well as the C and have turned on and off the control to tell the difference, and you can tell! My suggestion, if you are concerned with driving a RWD in bad weather get the AWD 300C. This maybe a better fit.

Good Luck as you will enjoy either version

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree, if you're concerned with snow, get AWD. I was driving on snow covered roads and then went up my steep, un-plowed driveway with my 300C AWD and it handled great! My previous RWD sedans with V8's, traction control and ESP (Lexus GS400, BMW740i) handled like crap in the snow and would not make it up my driveway without a running start or two (or three). I'm impressed how the AWD (and Conti's) handled this snow storm here in Chicago. This car with every option and AWD is a freakin' bargain, even if the stock wheels are ugly. The new Caddy STS loaded w/V8 and AWD is 65 grand! I'll change to nice wheels in the spring and put the stock stuff back on in the winter.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
HemiHEAD George said:

HemiHEAD George, welcome to the forum. Most of your concerns about snow and the 300 RWD will be addressed in this thread:

http://www.300cforums.com/showthread.php?t=2339

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts