Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to swap out my 20" 300-s series wheels for maybe a 17" steel wheel and wrap it in some good snow tires...any recommendations on which tires to go for, and also if I should step down by 20" wheels to 17" wheels?. Will going down to a smaller size wheel help? Also, do you recommend steels wheels (with possibly wheel covers) or just an aluminum or alloy stock wheel?

Any comments appreciated! :cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if this will help or not seeing you posted in 2012 but here is my experience.

I have a 2012 Chrysler 300c RWD w/ upgraded 20" factory rims and tires. I downgraded to 18" winter rims and Firestone Winterforce tires (considered higher end) which I got from a local tire shop. The car isn't very good in snow, there are times when I was driving on the highway and without a doubt thought I was going in the ditch. So this winter I picked up a few sand bags and put them in the trunk in an effort to add some extra weight. I've noticed a slight improvement however it's still not very good in the snow even with performance winter tires. I absolutely love my car but my only regret is not having AWD. The best thing to do is slow down and drive within your abilities.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When I had my 2009 RWD, I put Michelin X-Ice winter tires on the stock 18" rims. The car was pretty decent in the snow (which I think is due to a combination of traction control and 50/50 weight distribution). I took her on a long road trip through snow and ice between Delaware and Ontario last winter with no issues. A lot of the members here swear by Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires.

The winter tires absolutely make the difference: driving in snow on the stock Continental all-seasons was scary!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thread is a little old however for whomever reads it later. In 35 years I have never used winter tires. Last winter, I drove my brand new car with stock all seasons. I have never been so scared in my life. This year I downsized my wheels, and put winter tires, (narrower and with a higher sidewall to keep speedo accurate) and I noticed a difference. First big snows this week and I wasn't scared s###less like last year. Initially I wanted Micheline X-Ice, (I always tire my vehicles with Michelins) and my long time Michelin tire dealer told me that the X-Ice was designed for FWD and would not do well on my RWD. I have no idea if this it true, or how a tire knows if it is on the front or rear, but I trust this guy. I then asked about Blizzaks and he said they are an excellent tire, but I could get General Arctics less expensive, and they were as good or better than Blizzaks. The guy could have made more money on me, but didn't, so again, I trust this fellow. I still miss my big "ole" FWD drive Buick, that was a darling in the biggest snow storms with Micheline All Seasons. In my opinion, a RWD is really deficient in snow no matter what tires on on it, but I can now drive the 300 with some confidence. I still won't drive it if we get a lot of snow, whereas I would have taken the FWD Buick through the biggest storms. As far as I am concerned, the 300 is a gorgeous three season car. Spring, Summer, and Fall (and good winter days)

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
I have put Blizzaks on all our 300s and the MSRT8 since 2006. I only look back on the vehicles that can't move in the snow.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have put Blizzaks on all our 300s and the MSRT8 since 2006. I only look back on the vehicles that can't move in the snow.
They are a great tire from all I have read here and there. The Generals seem pretty good also but since it is my first winter tire, I have nothing to compare them to. ::smile::

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just put Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice tires on the '06 and early this morning had the chance to try them out. As this is my first year with winter tires I must say that I'm really impressed with the tires. When I would usually spin, slip or fish tail I had none of that this morning. Those tires went through the snow very easily. I am now thinking of buying two more sets for the other cars in my household.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts