Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

My SRT-8s transmission was made in......

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came up in conversation that some SRT-8s, Jmatts, for instance, have transmissions built in Kokomo, IN, while a bunch have ones built in Germany. I'm curious if only early cars got the IN units, if only maybe 300s got them, what ever.

If you have your window sticker, the right side, right above the city mileage figure, has a block that details parts content sources,, says assembly point is BRampton, engine from Mexico, etc.

So, far, no SRT-8 Chargers have turned up with a IN unit, I'm dying to see how this falls out.

·
Administrator
14,583 Posts
I know my car was built around the same time as jMatt's. I'm assuming mine was from the US, but the Canadian window stickers don't have that information on them. Maybe it's an American requirement to list the content %'age sources. I'm wondering if the 05's were all built in the USA and the 06's in Germany perhaps.

Rambit

·
Registered
224 Posts
got my S today; window sticker says tranny was made in germany...

·
Registered
208 Posts
7/1/05 Build
Germany

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
only to add to the dispute...
uh, I mean discussion... :wink1:

GERMANY...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm, a pattern is beginning to appear, need more data:)

Heres our IN respondents, we already know Jmatts is an early build.

HealeyRick (May build) , JMatt Mr.C,(2005 car, no build date yet) PA-SRT8 (bought car prior to Jun 05, so its early build), steverwrx (SRT? Cant find any hint of that:))

·
Registered
125 Posts
Germany here!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Build Date August 17, 2005, Transmission from Germany

·
Administrator
14,583 Posts
glhs837 said:
Hmmm, a pattern is beginning to appear, need more data:)

Heres our IN respondents, we already know Jmatts is an early build.

HealeyRick (May build) , JMatt Mr.C,(2005 car, no build date yet) PA-SRT8 (bought car prior to Jun 05, so its early build), steverwrx (SRT? Cant find any hint of that:))
What poll do you suggest Canadians respond to as we won't have a clue? Seriously, I think it's safe to assume from these results that ALL 05's would be Indiana built and all 06's are Germany built.

Rambit

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, Rambit, I dont have an answer for that. I'd love to assume that, but I've already been told by a Kokomo guy that hes sure SRT-8s are getting IN units, he's checking:) I cant make an assumption, I really want to know if this true, why its so.

Is there a difference? If not, why would SRT-8s only get German units.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
glhs837 said:
Is there a difference? If not, why would SRT-8s only get German units.

There are 2 transmission plants. That's it. Nothing more sinister than that :wave: we know Jmatt's SRT8 has a US tranny, My dad's '06 has a German Transmission and my 300c (05) has a US trans. If it were not for the requirement that the Country of Origin of major parts be posted on the Monroney label we wouldn't know or care where the tranny came from.

The early 300C's had German transmissions because the US plant came online well into the production run.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
See, kevin, thats not right, its only the early ones are the only ones so far to have US transmissions to our knowledge. No SRT-8 made after sometime in late spring, early summer has a US unit. I'm not suggesting anything sinister, just wanting to know why it seems that SRT-8s now get German transmissions.

See, it should be that since there is a mixing of cars on the line, and we are assuming a mix of TRansmissions availble to bolt into them, and that SRTs roll down the line mixed in with the other cars, that a number of them should get the US units, but for whatever reason, its not happening that way. Why?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts