Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on http://cadillacforums.com they are saying that its best to go with a CTS-V over the SRT-8.
Test Results from Feb. 05' Issue of Motor Trend:

Prices
GTO: around 34 K
CTS-V: 51,295
SRT-8: 43,295

Curb Weight

GTO: 3765
CTS-V: 3875
SRT-8: 4190 (oink oink oink)

0-60 times
GTO 5.0
SRT-8 4.9
CTS-V 4.7

0-100 times
GTO 11.9
SRT-8 11.7
CTS-V 11.1

Quarter mile
GTO 13.3 @ 107.5
SRT-8 13.2 @ 108.1
CTS-V 13.1 @ 109.8

Braking 60-0
GTO 121 ft
SRT-8 113 ft
CTS-V 111 ft

200 ft skidpad
GTO 0.85g
SRT-8 0.88g
CTS-V 0.90g

600 ft slalom
GTO 63.6 mph
CTS-V 66.8 mph
SRT-8 67.3 mph

·
Registered
471 Posts
Of course people on a Cadillac forum would choose the Cadillac first! I think the SRT8 does pretty good against those two considering manuals are usually quite a bit faster and its 300 pounds heavier. Personally, I can't stand that edgey, wedge styling of the Cadillac. Not to mention the CTSV is smaller and $10,000 more. Motor Trend chose the Cadillac out of those 3 as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
well, this kinda the situation i am in.

i like the exterior looks of the CTS-V, however, if with all the standard goodies, i dont care for the interiro too much. the NAV is nice, but way too much black plastic on the inside. it calls for a stainless dash kit. the factory stero sucks i also dont care for the "manual only" option. my wife cannot drive a stick and i do NOT want here learning on a $50000 car! the 300 qualities that i like are the obvious auto trans, good Boston Acoustic sound system and an all aorund nicer and way roomier interior.....the looks of the exterior are a toss up for me; a draw. interior goes to the 300 hands down..............and alas, $$$$. better value is the 300

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Lionel C Kimble said:
on http://cadillacforums.com they are saying that its best to go with a CTS-V over the SRT-8.
Test Results from Feb. 05' Issue of Motor Trend:

Prices
CTS-V: 51,295

Curb Weight

Prices
CTS-V: 51,295 < Bigger oink oink oink

Curb Weight

Someone is smoking dope. It is a ridiculous comparison if you consider price/value.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
??????????????????

the numbers
315lb diff.
$8K diff.

what if the weight was similar?
what if the price was similar?
what if the caddy had a diff GM tag?
what if? what if? what if?

If both cars were lets say $45K I'd go with the SRT-8.
the reasons why
1)the SRT-8 has a more muscular look
2)if wanted, more visual mods can be made
3)will be around longer(future classic)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wonder how many real world drivers can click off those numbers in the cts-v. From what I have read, the rear wheel hop off the line is fierce... and the kind of driver talent required to click off those shifts to obtain those numbers has to be significant.

I have stop light raced a few bmw m5's (not the current 500hp, the older 400 hp one) with my current 2002 e55. In magazines, the m5 is top dog, but in real world driving...the results are many times reversed. Not too many m5 drivers are willing to rev that motor and pop that clutch on their own car as the mag drivers.

I suspect the consistent automatic trans acceleration will prevail in such a closely matched pair as the cts-v and srt8.

but as joe300c said, everyone go buy a cts-v.

dr dave
2002 e55 on the way out
2006 srt8 on order

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Commuter traffic or Not?

The big difference, apart from styling and do-das, is the transmission.
Are you a manual fan or not.
Shifting that big, Heavy clutch plate behind the CTS-Vs 400 horse LS6 is not for the weak-kneed. Worth it, but a daily chore - believe me.
Consider that before you buy. ;)

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
The CTS-V puts up some nice numbers. So do some other boy-racer cars.

In the real world, the balance, stability, comfort, interior and trunk space, and the amazing Getrag transmission make the 300C/SRT-8 the better choice. Everything is at your fingertips in an elegant, effortless way that the little Caddy just doesn't achieve.

At even pricing, I would take the SRT-8.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would also say that if I'm spending 51+k, I might spring a bit more and go with a c55 amg...

again similiar performance, auto and a superior nameplate.

dr dave

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Duhh...biased Caddy opinions.

You can't compare the two really. One's a compact, the other a full size.

One's a stick shift, the other an automatic.

One has wedgy styling, the other has hunky styling.

For VALUE, the CTS-V cannot touch the SRT-8.

Are those jokers on that Cad forum just going solely on C&D track numbers? Sheesh, there's a lot more to the driving experience than that. Sure, the CTS-V is smaller and probably is a little quicker in the handling, but cramped rear seating makes a good sedan not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The difference between the brand loyal opinions here and at the Caddy forum compared to the results of the magazine comparison is that the guys from the magazine drove them back to back and made a choice based on that. Also, what kind of markup will the dumba$$ dealers put on the SRT-8? If it's the 10 to 15K they were doing on the Magnum R/Ts and 300Cs on the west coast (Bay Area) when they first came out, the SRT will cost more than the V, so where is the value? Let's not even talk about the markup on the other SRTs (except the Neon). Later in the year dealers reduced their markup to 2 or 3 thousand on the 300Cs from 5K and thought they were doing you a favor. When talking about cars in this price range what I think it comes down to is passion, not price. If you got the money to get a 43, 51 or 65 thousand dollar car, you will by the car you want. The car that GETS TO YOU. Only a car lover knows what that means. Some guys like blonds and some guys like redheads, some guys like curves and some guys like slender. Just because you think you picked the right woman for your wife doesn't mean every other guy’s choice was wrong. I think the same holds true for cars, if you buy a car you have passion for instead of settling, you'll be much happier.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
2007 CTS-V Unveiled!

Here's what it might look like.
Wonder if GM will respond to the SRT-8 with an unfettered LS7 motor?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
More to Come

Yup, and just wait 'till you see the Long-Wheel Base LX Platform (300D/New Yorker/Imperial) - that is in the works (so the rumor mill says over at ALLPAR) -- gonna give my local Cadillac dealer fits! :D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
MattinNashville said:
nice car, but so much cheddar!

$70,000+ way way way too much for a car with no rear leg room
That's what makes the 300 series a great car. Even more so than the HEMI, DCX was 'smart' to have a winning design = great value. If DCX remains smart and consumers tell the dealers to go to hedoublehockeysticks on the markups, then their bottom line will look good.

The V-series are and will be nice cars but it is what it is.
IMO caddys should be large luxury sedans not mid-size lux. The DTS is the true caddy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
They just can't let go of that ugly wedge (the straight vertical line at the middle of the rear) trunk and in front .. that geometric ugliness look just makes me not even care what's under the hood or inside.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts