Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this might not look like much of a start, but it was about 4 hours worth of work. That rear deck is tougher to cut that you might think (16 gauge steel). First off I ordered 1 Image Dynamics 10" ID woofers. I liked these due to the magnet design, they are fairly priced ($160.00 ea or so) and they don't take major power to drive them (Although I have enough power for 2 IDMAX lol (thats another story)

I ordered a Mmphis Big Belle 13-Mch-1600 ( Memphis Car Audio - <i>The Memphis Belle</i>-1,560 watts total power) to run the 2x10" in the rear deck and the 2x8" in the front doors (amp will be pushing 230x2 for the 8s and 600x1 for the subs - I will have the sub amp gain to less than 1/4 turn I am sure for the sub channel).

We started with a design in the carpeted trim piece back there, and then started on the baffle board (this one will not be used. The real one will be done today, its 1" thick, and it is much larger covering nearly the entire rear deck). We then positioned the subs where I wanted them, and drew the holes onto the deck lid. Next was fun... Removing the seat belt from the center, and then cutting with scissors and a 90 degree with a cut off wheel. We test fit the sub to be sure the look is what I wanted, and I love it.

Next we will have to:

1. Make the 1" piece much larger to nearly cover the entire deck.
1a. Cut out the rest of the seat belt holder (dam that thing is thick!)
2. DYNAMAT The F out of the rear deck, inside and trunk side.
3. Cut the holes in the mat for the 10s.
4. Use spray foam and silicone and BOLTS to secure the baffle to the deck.
5. Make the trim cover using the stock piece so the woofers will be seen in the rear deck, and make a new trim cover for the underside of the rear deck, possibly using the stock trim piece.

I didn't do any of the work, but its my idea... If anyone has positive input or how tos, or suggestions I would gladly listen. If you want to flame, just simply go to another post!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sweet! I've been waiting for someone to attempt this. Keep up the hard work, and the pics! I might have done this myself but I wasn't about hacking up my car with a cutting wheel. Although it looks like neither were you... you had someone else do it for you!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to my other friends shop and dam... He used a air saw with a sick blade about 4" long. I swear it looks factory where he cut it. Note to anyone trying this, please dont use a stupid cutting wheel that turned out ghetto (good thing no one but you guys will see it LOL)

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You really are tempting me to try this......keep us updated on
the progress .:fing02:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is another update. How does it look so far? This is about 3 sheets of Extreme. I will do the underside the same.

I got the piece removed from the trunk side, where the center seat belt WAS. Much better when the place uses the correct tools! This went somooth as possible and took 4 minutes. CLEAN TOO. Was done with an air saw.... Easily.

Anyone heres next

1. more dmat
2. try to flatten some raised spots up (metal) with a hammer
3. silicone seal the MDF to the trunk lid and BOLT it in
4. cut the dynamat, and silicone it up to the baffle to seal it good
5. use suede or some material to cover the baffle (it does not need to be perfect, only a very small section of the baffle will be seen
make trim parts top and bottom

MISS ANYTHING? Does this look right???

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It may be smart to get some fairly rigid foam rubber .25"-.375" thick and adhere it to the bottom of that mdf. That way when you tighten it down it will definitely isolate it from the metal and reduce any vibrations in the rear deck by dampening the vibes.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may be smart to get some fairly rigid foam rubber .25"-.375" thick and adhere it to the bottom of that mdf. That way when you tighten it down it will definitely isolate it from the metal and reduce any vibrations in the rear deck by dampening the vibes.
Man I love this forum... That is really smart, thank you

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
edead v4 or raamat ensolite would be really good for the foam part. I
have a lot of v4 throughout my car. it's also cushioning my jack
and spare in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got some foam today for the under side of the baffle - I am happy I did that, the foam I think will assure me no rattle. I Got the speaker holes cut, and sunk for the sub to be more flush mount.

I am shocked at how stable the baffle is (I am going to try to tighten the bolts a lil more (thank goodness I am married... No way to do this without someone to help!). Then I think I am going to shoot as much spray foam as I can under there, and silicone where possible. The bolts are ok where they are because once the trim is made, they will not be seen.

Then to finish the dynamat under the rear deck (I found some holes when I was drilling the holes from under the in the trunk).

Its getting close... Got the Memphis amp today damn that thing is huge, and pretty!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am still a ways off. But I will still post some pics. I took a step back today. I mounted the board with some foam under it, and also used some spray foam too (this stuff is crazy I love it). Then I realized that the holes were off by 1/2" for the subs to drop in, and the bolts were exposed which looked stupid. So I flushed them down a lil and got the foam off from under there, and redid the entire thing.

I am going to fill and sand the holes, then dynamat the inside of the trunk and then I will start on the trim piece.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Hey, HEMI4ME?, I saw your car down at Bell and Tatum at the shop. I was woundering what you were doing to it next. BTW - your car looks awesome the way your Pedders kit makes it sit lower. It looks fantastic and I guess now it will be sounding fantastic as well. Looks great.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should have stopped. That owner there is a friend of mine, he is so cool! He was making the holes for me in my baffle with the router. I didnt want to jack it up! I gave one of the boys 10 bux, and they hooked me up!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here are some latest pics. If anyone can help me, I would love some feedback on how to trim this thing correctly. ALSO, if anyone can possibly find me a rear deck trim piece (the carpeted one, like in the pic) CHEAP let me know!

Thanks, let me know what you think!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is how I got the center back into the rear deck cover. I used some mesh grille I had left over.
NOW... Looks like if I want to I could actually do whatever I want. I guess if I want to cover this piece, I should use some thin foam like they use for headliner before I cover it right?

OR

I could cut sub circles, or squares out and leave them exposed. What do u guys think?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Test fit... Might just cover it, and throw it in... Hope no rattles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hemi,

From someone who's done a bunch of IB setups I would probably recommend mounting the tens and doing grills. I did my Maxima this way and it worked great. When I did my "V" I used the factory grill with tons of dynamat and it still rattled. Couple of pics of the two. Second pic didn't have trim put back on yet on the left side.

Shane

Attachments

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I might have to make a new post for this... Its finally done. All your suggestions were taken, and I still could not handle the job. First I am just not that creative, and second I do not have the tools to get it done right. I called a buddy that I got my amp from in Apache Junction, AZ. His name is Chad with Xtreme Audio and Desing Xtreme Audio & Design.

Let me say that this is not what I expected... I sat and watched mostly scratching my head, and offering some assistance with things you cant F up like sanding, and getting the tape from the wall LOL.

This is FAR MORE Than I expected. The new trim is outstanding. The aluminum work was amazing (the center piece was brushed and then clearcoated, but the rings around the subs are not done yet. I will be brushing them, and clearing them tomorrow. I had to leave for the night). The ultra suede looks great (needs brushed to get it going the right direction) and the bottom of the material I am wrapping underneath and will really clean up the front edge. I am thinking of a amprack floating in the rear across the strut braces, and trimming the trunk to match!

Any way on with the pics. Thank you Chad for making this way more amazing than I could have imagined. (ALTHOUGH THE ALUMINUM WAS MY IDEA... HAHAHAH NOT)

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No one likes it!?

Crappy

·
Registered
522 Posts
I like it, however I would have told my buddy that unless he feels like paying me I am not advertising for his stereo shop....... Like ripping the dealership sticker off the car i guess.... Other than that, I play around with a lot of car audio,and can definitely understand the amount o work that went into this install. So....how does she sound? Rattles, deep notes, tight notes etc..... any flexing back there ? Later, and I always wanted to know how that kind of setup would look and sound , so give us an honest review!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts