Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Would it help if I included center console removal?

• yes

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • no

Votes: 4 11.8%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for the people that find themselves with a broken 'pink thingy' and can't get their car out of park and the recall does not cover your VIN.

You can fix for under a $1 and it will be better than the original engineering.

You will need to remove the center console and remove the shifter assembly. You will be repairing the 'pink thingy'. There are plenty of posts on removing the shifting assembly so I won't go into that part.

Once you get the shifter assembly out, with a small flat screw driver where will be 3 tabs that need to be separated so that the shifting assembly opens apart into 2 pieces. Once you get that open your pink thingy should slide right out and you can start on the repairs.

I used a 7/64th cotter pin and same size drill bit, along with 2 tiny washers.

File down any excess remaining broken tang and drill the hole. See photos below.

slide1.jpg

Now you can attach the loose spring you should have found underneath your shifting assembly in the car. Then install into the hole you just drilled and bend over the cotter pin tabs. See photos below.

slide2.jpg

Now you can reinstall the repaired pink thingy back into your shifting module and stretch the other side of the spring onto the shifting assembly housing. Then re-assemble back into car.

slide3.jpg

Hope this helps. Took me about 1.5 hours for removal, repair and reinstall.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Awesome write up! Mine actually just broke yesterday. I'll be doing this tomorrow so I can take the middle console from the backseat and reinstall it LOL. Thank you!

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Perfect fix, is it possible for the mods move to the how to section??
Sure is, but I'll hold off for the centre console and shifter assembly removal to be incorporated into this thread as that is a big part of this. Thanks in advance to abqgolfer for doing this!!!

Bernie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you

This is for the people that find themselves with a broken 'pink thingy' and can't get their car out of park and the recall does not cover your VIN.

You can fix for under a $1 and it will be better than the original engineering.

You will need to remove the center console and remove the shifter assembly. You will be repairing the 'pink thingy'. There are plenty of posts on removing the shifting assembly so I won't go into that part.

Once you get the shifter assembly out, with a small flat screw driver where will be 3 tabs that need to be separated so that the shifting assembly opens apart into 2 pieces. Once you get that open your pink thingy should slide right out and you can start on the repairs.

I used a 7/64th cotter pin and same size drill bit, along with 2 tiny washers.

File down any excess remaining broken tang and drill the hole. See photos below.

View attachment 38450

Now you can attach the loose spring you should have found underneath your shifting assembly in the car. Then install into the hole you just drilled and bend over the cotter pin tabs. See photos below.

View attachment 38451

Now you can reinstall the repaired pink thingy back into your shifting module and stretch the other side of the spring onto the shifting assembly housing. Then re-assemble back into car.

View attachment 38452

Hope this helps. Took me about 1.5 hours for removal, repair and reinstall.
I wanted to send a thank you to abqgolfer for posting this. I assume you saved me $275 and that is always nice. Always good to look handy in front of the wife.
My car is fixed. Money is in my packet. Chrysler can kiss off. This car has been all over the east coast. I would really have sucked being stuck in Florida or North Carolina or Virginia, even worse, Long Island, or who knows where. Luckily, it was my drive way. Cant wait to see what else Chrysler has in store for me. My next car is going to be a Tesla!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
if the "pink thingy" is the "shift sensor" i'm really going to be pisses. i had to replace the "shift sensor" on my 06C and the dealer charged me $450.00 that included the tow. and to add insult to injury, since i could not get it out of park, the tow truck drive had to drag it onto the flat bed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Abqgolfer here......thank you to everyone showing appreciation. It's nice to read the thank yous and know I was able to help other people.

Have a great day.

Abqgolfer.....(David)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rather than creating a whole new thread on removal I found a great video on youtube showing how to remove the console and shift assembly. I did not have to remove the whold a/c & radio cover but I did have to remove the ashtray cover.

Hope this is additional helpful information.

The title search on youtube is: Park Interlock.wmv

the hyperlink to that video is:

·
Registered
5 Posts
First -- thanks for all the posts. Very, very helpful in several ways. Perhaps I can add something that I discovered while getting my 300C out of park so I could take it to the dealer.

To get to the pink thingy, it is not necessary to remove the console or really much trim. All you need to do is remove the chrome around the shifter handle, the rubber cavity filler just to the right of the shifter, and the pad directly in front of the shifter. The latter will expose two screws (8 mm, if I recall, but they also have phillips heads). Remove those screws and that frees the surround with the exception of two clips immediately ahead of the cup holders. A flat screwdriver or putty knife inserted on the right and left side rear of the surround will pop it loose. lift it off and the pink thingy on the front of the shifter is directly accessable. Turn the ignition on (acc or on), place your foot on the brake or depress the over-ride pink plastic device on the rear of the shifter assembly, and then with a flat-blade simply move the revealed arm of the forward pink plastic thingy toward the front of the car while moving the shift out of park and into neutral. It takes more force than you think to move the pink thingy forward, but don't overdo it. Stick the trim and rubber devices back on and you are ready to take the car to the dealer. In my case, Chrysler covered the total cost of repair even though my VIN number was not part of the recall.

Incidentally, the replacement pink thingy has been "redesigned" by Chrysler and is now gray in color. If Chrysler won't cover the repair (they install a completely new shifter mechanism) you can either implement the cotter key fix or buy the billet replacement. I didn't ask if the Chrysler redesigned part is available separately, but you might want to do that (rumor has it that it costs 77 cents).

At least this gets you back on the road quickly and, if you stick a phillips head in your glove box, you will never be stuck in park for any length of time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
help i re hooked the spring put it back together and it still won,t shift out of park have i got something out of adjustment or the pink thing out of position what does the pink thing on the right rear of the shifter do the video and the pictures were great

·
Registered
5 Posts
repair pink thingy

From my own observations I can not think of a way to simply repair the broken part without removing the whole shifter mechanism. Then you have the option of either following the video (drill a hole and use wire to hold the spring in place or simply buy a replacement part. If you do that and then replace the part correctly it should work as advertised.

Note that the rear pink thingy is the override for the brake pedal being pushed while the front thingy deals with the ignition switch position. They are two separate issues. But, if you have totally removed the shifter and taken it apart to replace/repair the forward thingy, you might not have hooked up the connection wrong on the left side of the shifter or it may have slipped out of the slot. I would suggest you review that part of the video to make sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just removed shifter box again found out the little tab on the base of the shifter box had broke consequently the spring was off drilled a hole right there stuck a nail in the hole bent it around hooked up the spring put it back together tried it using the pink thing in the rear manual override it works great now so if you put top back on box and use override and can,t shift out of park take it back apart and ck it out because if it won,t shift on the bench it won,t shift in the car hope this helps save you from doing it twice

·
Registered
7 Posts
i fix the pink thing shifts good on the bench put it in the care won,t shift fond out if i leave the cable off that hooks to the pink thing it shifts good anyone know what the cable is for tried to adjust it can,t get it to work with it connected can i leave it disconnected please any ideas well be appreciated thanks for your help again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the help

I had the unfortunate luck to have this problem today.... I read the instructions and made the repair in about 1 hour. A little overwhelming but fixed it and works like a champ....Thanks for posting the instructions and the help.....

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Count me in as well. Happened today and took 2 hours. Well, 1 hour was spent trying to find my socket set.

Did the cotter pin mod. Works perfectly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts