Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

300c surging

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  dynodon 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum but pretty stoked on finding it. I recently bought a lava red 300c just before christmas and seem to notice a little surge around the 35 to 45 mile per hour range. Am i imagining this or have some of you noticed it as well? I also noticed a bit of shake in the steering wheel around 65 to 70 mph but the tire balance checked out. any comments?

#2 ·
No surge in mine that I feel.

Are you running aftermarket rims? If so, and even if you aren't, certain places are better at balancing wheels/tyres than your dealer.

My brother in law bought a Durango with dealer installed 20s, he took it to the dealer with this exact complaint, they couldn't fix it.

A few minutes at a real aftermarket wheel place and he's shimmy free.

#6 ·
I believe that there is a TSB about surging. Something to do with the old firmware. If your software is Feb. date then have them update the car to the 7/X/04 date. That seemed to fix my surging.

I thought I could feel it going in and out of the 4 cyl mode, it felt like a slight surging at a light throttle.

#8 ·
Yah, I had the exact same thing. And I'm pretty sure the software upgrade fixed it. Check the software version by doing the hold the compas and musical note on your steering wheel. If it's the Feb. version, then have they up it to the July version.

If you complain about light surging to your dealer and have them check, it should tell them to update your software.

One note, some of the old gages don't handle the new software as well as the newer gages. Your new oil pressure page in the EVIC, might be an alphebet soup. Have the dealer check it and maybe he can take care of it all at once. Or at the very least let the dealer know what can and probably will happen. If you don't care, you don't have to change it.

But after that, I haven't noticed that slight surging anymore.

#9 ·
Mine feels like its surging right at 65mph. If I hold it steady at 65mph, it feels like its shifting back and forth. Actually its more like changing gears kind of a feeling. I do have the Feb. dated firmware.

#11 ·
Before worring about something so "big" as a torque converter, Chrysler knows about this problem and has told dealers about this surging and the fix is updated software. I would just tell the dealer about it and they should know the fix. I haven't noticed the surging after my software upgrade.

#14 ·
Surging is usually a result of wildly changing (O2 sensor bad?) inputs to the ECM when you have your foot on the pedal at a fixed speed. It can speed up/slow down.

It also can be when you step on the gas a bit to speed up and it gets what we Impala folks used to call the "chuggle & surge".

I think my hemi has chuggle & surge. That's when I'm gently speeding up (30-55mph) and the car seems to speed up normally, hesitate a bit (chuggle) and then speed up a bit more out of proportion (that's the surge).

I definitely experience this with mine, and I have 3.61 which I believe is the latest.

Anyone have more info?

#15 ·
surging too`

I have a new 300C with just 1000 miles on it and it has been doing this surge thing since I bought it.

light variation in power from a stop to about 50 mph at light/steady throttle application. Feels a little like a random misfire. Just enough to bother me. Love the car otherwise.

My software is 7-27-04, Version 3.61.

What now, if updating the software has already been done?

Don
300C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.