Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm comparing the 300C (or other LX V8's) against the BMW 750i. They're both 4 door sedans with roughly equivalent power and specs. On that basis this was the closest comparison I could come up with. Benzes tend to have shorter wheelbase and more body length.

In each category below the first number applies to the 300C, the second to the 750i. Data from edmunds.com:

Doors / seating: 4/5 for each
Displacement 5.7L, 4.8L both naturally aspirated V-8's
Max Power hp : 340 @ 5000, 360 @ 6300
Max Torque ft-lbs: 390 @ 4000, 360 @ 3400
Wheel diameter inches: 18, 18
Length 197, 198
Width 74, 75
Height 58, 59
Wheelbase 120, 118
MSRP: 33000, 72000 including free maintenance 4 years / 50000 miles.

The idea for this thread came from the SRT8 vs. BMW 760i thread http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt8-general-discussion/15165-srt8-vs-bmw-760i-comparo.html which compares the extreme performance versions of the same two cars.

Has anyone driven both a V-8 LX body car and a 750i ?

·
Registered
323 Posts
No I haven't, but I did take one from a roll on the highway after the guy was tailgating me for about 2 minutes.:saevilw:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bimmer 500HP

jcsganga34 said:
No I haven't, but I did take one from a roll on the highway after the guy was tailgating me for about 2 minutes.:saevilw:
As posted in another thread here, looks like the latest Bimmer 5 will have us all beat! It whips up on demand 500HP at the touch of a button, otherwise it stays on 400HP...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/automobiles/05BIMMER.html

Jaydee

·
Registered
107 Posts
jaydee said:
As posted in another thread here, looks like the latest Bimmer 5 will have us all beat! It whips up on demand 500HP at the touch of a button, otherwise it stays on 400HP...
Yeah, the new M5 is a great car, but VERY expensive!

·
Registered
107 Posts
artichoke said:
Has anyone driven both a V-8 LX body car and a 750i ?
Well, I own a 300C and have driven my friends 745i, and your will find that the 2 cars are very similar in size. I was comparing my car to the 5 series until my friend parked his car next to mine and we saw that by size, this is a better comparison. Of course by price, these cars are not in the same class, which will explain most of the winnings by the BMW in the comparison below.

Now, here is my subjective comparisons

press the gas fun - 300C (you can feel that torque right from the line)
braking - 300C (I hate the BMW braking system - but I guess you get used to it)
transmission - 300C (I don't know if it is just his car, but the shifts in the 745 were very rough)
toys - 745 (even with the idrive, there are a lot of toys in there)
quietness - 745 (you are really isolated in there)
handling - 745 (and he has the active suspension - nice!)
luxury features - 745 (yeah, it actually feels more luxurious)
interior size - 300C (feels about the same, maybe a bit larger in the 300C)
looks - 300C :) ('nuff said)
ejoyable to drive - 300C (the BMW, even with its better handling, just feels like a barge while the 300C feels light on its feet)

Well, what do you expect in comparing a $50,000 car against a $110,000 car! At that price difference you will get a lot of extras and engineering that would normally be unfeasible to do in a $50,000 car.

But the fact that we would even consider comparing the 300C to the 7 series means that the 300C has potential. What a deal for a car of this size.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
FirstChrysler said:
Well, I own a 300C and have driven my friends 745i, and your will find that the 2 cars are very similar in size. I was comparing my car to the 5 series until my friend parked his car next to mine and we saw that by size, this is a better comparison. Of course by price, these cars are not in the same class, which will explain most of the winnings by the BMW in the comparison below.

Now, here is my subjective comparisons

press the gas fun - 300C (you can feel that torque right from the line)
braking - 300C (I hate the BMW braking system - but I guess you get used to it)
transmission - 300C (I don't know if it is just his car, but the shifts in the 745 were very rough)
toys - 745 (even with the idrive, there are a lot of toys in there)
quietness - 745 (you are really isolated in there)
handling - 745 (and he has the active suspension - nice!)
luxury features - 745 (yeah, it actually feels more luxurious)
interior size - 300C (feels about the same, maybe a bit larger in the 300C)
looks - 300C :) ('nuff said)
ejoyable to drive - 300C (the BMW, even with its better handling, just feels like a barge while the 300C feels light on its feet)

Well, what do you expect in comparing a $50,000 car against a $110,000 car! At that price difference you will get a lot of extras and engineering that would normally be unfeasible to do in a $50,000 car.

But the fact that we would even consider comparing the 300C to the 7 series means that the 300C has potential. What a deal for a car of this size.
(Your prices are in Canadian dollars and my numbers are in US dollars in case anyone didn't notice.)

Incredible! Most of the really important categories (what I consider important) go to the 300C. The exception is handling. What's the active suspension like? Does it matter that BMW's current model is the 750i not 745i? Is the 50 just a bored / stroked 45?

I know what you mean by barge-like feel from driving other 7 series. That's why I think it's wrong to compare the C to a 5 series. Heck even BMW's larger cars are less nimble than 5 series, so don't blame Chrysler for that. Chrysler doesn't have a competitive entry in the categories of the BMW 3 and 5 series. If they did, Chrysler would be one of the world's most prestigious brands ... but I imagine that those categories will be reserved for the Mercedes side of the house.

To me the toys tend to be fluff and I don't really care about them. How much difference do they make when I'm actually driving? More complexity, more stuff to break. I don't feel that I can afford to spend big bucks for gadgets.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dynamic drive

artichoke said:
The exception is handling. What's the active suspension like? Does it matter that BMW's current model is the 750i not 745i? Is the 50 just a bored / stroked 45?
Sorry, the actual name is not active suspension, it is called Dynamic Drive. Dynamic drive works to try to keep the car level during turns. By level, I am referring to left/right (and right/left). For example, when you take a left turn, the left side of the car rises, and the right side of the car lowers due to the change in momentum (direction). Dynamic drive acts to level the car to avoid this change by stiffening up the suspension on the side that gets the weight transfer. This makes for a very pleasant ride as the car maintains its left/right level. There is a sharp 90 degree turn on this road in town, and I tried out the active suspension and was thoroughly impressed. The active suspension actually made it feel like the car was on rails. Very impressive.

This is the explanation from the BMW.ca web site:
Dynamic Drive is an active suspension control system offering an exceptionally high standard of lateral dynamic stability (body stability). This is provided by active anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles; "active" because rotating hydraulic elements referred to as actuators are integrated in the mechanical anti-roll bars. Incorporating two electronic pressure control valves, these actuators build up independent stability forces on the front and rear axle, minimizing body sway when taking a bend.

Dynamic Drive thus ensures supreme agility at all speeds, optimum steering and well-balanced load change behavior. These advantages are particularly beneficial to the passengers in the back seat: the reduction of roll motion to an almost imperceptible level makes it much easier and more pleasant to read or work when seated in the rear. The driver, in turn, benefits in particular from the new standard of steering precision provided by Dynamic Drive, especially in rapid steering maneuvers.

The v8 in the 7 (and 5 series) was upgraded this year to help keep the car competitive with respect to horsepower. I don't have information on the new motor, but I understand that it has more kick than the old motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts