Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have just purchased a new set of wheels for my 300c. Does anyone know an easy way of removing the old pressure sensors from my old wheels so that I can fit them to my new wheels. I understand that they are stuck on! Thanks,
Neil.

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
If you have the metal stem, they are torqued down. You need a appropriate tool set to undo the sensor. Sometimes, it may be seized in place due to road salt surface corrosion and in that case spray some WD40 and leave for 30 mins before undoing. Don't forget to get yourself a service pack if you are wanting to reuse them :yup:

If you have rubbers ones, you cut them off and need new rubber stems.

Chrysler 300c Wheels

·
Registered
587 Posts
I removed three of mine, the fourth was already missing.

they are not stuck down.

the sleeve and locknut on the first one was really badly corroded and broke the stem out of the sensor body and twisted out the copper link.....binned !

the other two came off easily after a night under the influence of WD40.

you can undo them with a standard socket but need a special torque wrench to refit them.

the torque is something like (dont quote me !) 8nm (5.9lbft)....too low for a normal torque wrench.

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
3,732 Posts
the torque is something like (dont quote me !) 8nm (5.9lbft)....too low for a normal torque wrench.
These figures are consistent with the Mopar TPMS Instruction Sheet, so you may be safely quoted! The instructions also add: "Over-torque to only 12Nm (106 in lbs) may result in sensor separation from the valve stem."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the advise, I pick up the new wheels next week, so I will try to remove the old sensors. My old wheels are afflicted with the corrosion bug around the centres, I understand that this is quite common.

·
1,364 Posts
My old wheels are afflicted with the corrosion bug around the centres, I understand that this is quite common.
I'd say quite common is an under statement.
It's inevitable !!

Personally, rather than direct replacements, which will corrode within 18 months, i'd have them powder coated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, you might be right there, I have been quoted £200 for a refurb of the existing, compared to £400 for the new set, and I won't have the problem with changing the sensors over. Maybe I will re-think!

·
Registered
344 Posts
What's the correct rebuild kit? I've seen everything from new stems, to valve inserts, and I'm thinking I want to do mine when I get tyres.

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
If you got the factory OEM sensors, the stems on those are expensive, from ebay they are around ~ £15 - £20 and you have to be ever so careful to unscrew the antenna wire. If your careful to remove using WD40 and the stem is reusable after a good visual inspection you only need the service pack, which contains the washers etc. Remember to torque down correctly.

OEM FITMENT (good video to watch show how to disassemble factory OEM sensors - MUTE THE MUSIC)

If you got the aftermarket from Schrader, the stems are reasonably priced and available from customshop. You can go either with metal or rubber ones, which ever ones you prefer but the rubber stems, you cannot reuse because you cut them off. Same again, remember to toque down correctly for the metal stem :yup:

Chrysler 300c Wheels

SCHRADER FITMENT (good video to watch shows how to disassemble Schrader sensors)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts