Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inadvertently bought 55w H3 HID bulbs and ballasts for the fogs...anyone running these in that small a housing? I'm worried they will get too hot. The place I bought them will actually exchange them for 35w even though I already installed them, so that was nice. I don't want to uninstall! Somebody weigh in if your running 55w hids in your fogs and let me know...I think I know the answer to this though....:smokin:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think plastic lens metal housing where bulb sits. They metal back was pretty hot to touch. The lens didn't seen too bad....

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come to think of it. They may be glass. I'll check in the morning.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they are, you have nothing to worry about. I've been running 55w HID fogs in mine since 2007 with no problems.

So, I think they are plastic. Honestly they look like glass but I don't think they are. The funny thing is I ran them on to work today and check the lens and they weren't warm at - the wind probably kept them cool. I was more worried about the housing and the back of the part where the bulbs mounts; I had to take the metal cap off and used a rubber grommet to seal it. I'm afraid that will melt. I do like how these 55watt bulbs look and I can practically drive with just them...thanks for the help man.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Fleen if you happened to get the same projector fogs as me, eBay special, I think they might be glass. I am working on mine right now and thought of this thread. They are glass...definitely.

Reactions: therealfleen

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Fleen if you happened to get the same projector fogs as me, eBay special, I think they might be glass. I am working on mine right now and thought of this thread. They are glass...definitely.

Not off that same site but they all may be the same, ya know? Nothing melted yet....lol

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updates....pulled the bulbs and ballasts and returning for 35w ones. I decided this because I am completely sealing the back of the fogs, which are open, and without the air flow to cool them, I fear they will just be too hot. The good news is that it's a no questions asked exchange; the bad news: gotta wait a week probably on the turn around! I would recommend this easy upgrade to anyone running halogens in their projector lens fogs. It is an amazing difference in light brightness and distance,

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New 35w kit here and going in today. I must say the customer service at Kensun is amazing. Exchanged no questions asked and it was my error. They even sent the new set one BEFORE the old set got to them returned (based on the tracking number I sent them). We will see how long the kit lasts. Hopefully for 100 years.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Please share some pics when you get the new lights. I'm thinking about doing SOMETHING to my fogs, just not sure what. I don't like the color compared to the HID headlights - I know there are other halogen bulbs with different color temps that could work. I've also seen the "projector" fogs with halos advertised, but recall reading some negative reviews.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please share some pics when you get the new lights. I'm thinking about doing SOMETHING to my fogs, just not sure what. I don't like the color compared to the HID headlights - I know there are other halogen bulbs with different color temps that could work. I've also seen the "projector" fogs with halos advertised, but recall reading some negative reviews.
I just posted a how to on it...but will add a pic tomorrow of the heads and fogs on together. Both are "6000K" and match pretty well. You won't ever get it exact, but it's WAY better than HID heads and halogen fogs. I tried the colored halogen fog bulbs and they never came close to the stock HID 4300K for some reason. Do you have HID heads? If you have halogen heads, then the colored fogs may match better.

The HID conversion mod is pretty easy and I am SO happy with the almost match....

You will need new fogs with projector lens, about $35 on eBay...search Jeep Grand Cherokee fogs. You will want to replace the halo ring with some LED ones off eBay as well, at least IMO. The ones that come on the Jeep ones are really dim.

The HID conversion H3 bulb kit was about $70 an Amazon. Kensun brand. There are a bunch out there.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts