Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,252 Posts
it's no accident

it was certainly no accident that they showed the 6.4 in a 1970 Challenger at SEMA.

First comes the tease... but it does seem that 500 HP is going to be the benchmark in these wars.

They want to see if we want it, so write to them in droves and they will build us one!


Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
can we drop one in 300c srt8s?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
id think the 6.4 would be covered my factory warranty, a little less power than a SC 6.1 but more reliable id assume.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,252 Posts
s/c no go

without engine control software all the 6.1 s/c engines have to strap on the band aid fuel enrichment stuff which ruins the whole idea. Unreliable and dangerous. not enough HP for all that work and expense.

also, note that the 6.1 is a high compression engine, not suited to lots of boost.engines that are designed properly for supercharging have low compression ratios so they can use more boost.

When we set up marine engines with superchargers we rarely had more than 8:1 compression ratio. And we had better fuel.

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Would it fit under the hood though? It looks like the intake manifold is a foot higher than the 6.1 (not literally of course, but you know what I mean)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Model 57 said:
Rumors are that it will be available in the NEW Challenger.

OK, let's run the Numbers...

Say, a 116" Wheelbase Challenger Coupe, weighs in @ 3600-3700 lbs. Not much lighter, I figure, as it's a heavy chassis to begin with. Alright, I'll be optimistic and say 3600...

A Rear End Ratio of, what, 3.73? What's that new HD Rear End that's around?
Coupled with a 6 Speed Manual, with a Hurst Pistol Grip...Is Hurst even still around?

a 350HP Hemi in the base Challenger, the 6.1 in the R/T, and the 6.4 w/ 500HP in the SRT.

I figure the 6.1 and the 6.4 will be 4.8 and 4.5/4.6 0-60 machines, and the base 350hp 5.7 @ 5 Flat. And, with the Mercedes bred Chassis, it will track & handle WAY better than those understeering beasts I grew up with...

Of course, a Black Bucket Seat Interior, and, some of those retro MoPar 70-71 exterior colors (Top Banana, anyone?) with the flat anti-glare black panels...yum.

Sold...I'll Take One.

LJB :smoker:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
stevesrt8 said:
without engine control software all the 6.1 s/c engines have to strap on the band aid fuel enrichment stuff which ruins the whole idea. Unreliable and dangerous. not enough HP for all that work and expense.

also, note that the 6.1 is a high compression engine, not suited to lots of boost.engines that are designed properly for supercharging have low compression ratios so they can use more boost.

When we set up marine engines with superchargers we rarely had more than 8:1 compression ratio. And we had better fuel.

Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software

I agree to disagree. While most engines you drop the compresion to make more boost this is only because the enigne isnt built correctly. Its all about volume and how much you can get in there in an instant. A well tuned motor at 10.1 compression will make a ton more power then a well tuned motor at 8:1 thats already know. The question is why do they lower the compression? Its about the HeadGasket mostly. Poor passages plus too much pressure it blows. The better the Head gasket and head setup the more compression the more power.

As for fuel its very delicate process that has to be taken care of. If done right you get tons of power and you can run lots of it like NOS. If tuned perfect its 100% safe where as if you run in the wrong direction its only 60% safe and effective. Piggy back with a 3 bar map sensor worked into replacing the stock one and then you can tune it to run with boost. The stock map is only good for 2psi till its in a I have no idea what to do mode. This is why the GSM kit cant make full power. Hint Hint guys. I like the setup they have but they need to get a tuning option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
M3SMG02 said:
OK, let's run the Numbers...

Say, a 116" Wheelbase Challenger Coupe, weighs in @ 3600-3700 lbs. Not much lighter, I figure, as it's a heavy chassis to begin with. Alright, I'll be optimistic and say 3600...

A Rear End Ratio of, what, 3.73? What's that new HD Rear End that's around?
Coupled with a 6 Speed Manual, with a Hurst Pistol Grip...Is Hurst even still around?

a 350HP Hemi in the base Challenger, the 6.1 in the R/T, and the 6.4 w/ 500HP in the SRT.

I figure the 6.1 and the 6.4 will be 4.8 and 4.5/4.6 0-60 machines, and the base 350hp 5.7 @ 5 Flat. And, with the Mercedes bred Chassis, it will track & handle WAY better than those understeering beasts I grew up with...

Of course, a Black Bucket Seat Interior, and, some of those retro MoPar 70-71 exterior colors (Top Banana, anyone?) with the flat anti-glare black panels...yum.

Sold...I'll Take One.

LJB :smoker:

Ooops...Forgot the "ShakerHood" option.

LJB :smoker:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
um, the chassis isn't MB bred, and the 6.1L Hemi is SRT Specific so I don't think a R/T Challenger will be getting it.

Insiders say the R/T with the 5.7L will base around 25K and maybe a 6.1 for 28K. You guys should check out the 41 page Challenger thread in the Mopar News and Rumours section of allpar.com's forums.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
faterotong said:
um, the chassis isn't MB bred, and the 6.1L Hemi is SRT Specific so I don't think a R/T Challenger will be getting it.

Insiders say the R/T with the 5.7L will base around 25K and maybe a 6.1 for 28K. You guys should check out the 41 page Challenger thread in the Mopar News and Rumours section of allpar.com's forums.


....ooooh, My Bad.

How about a link?

Thanks;

LJB :smoker:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,252 Posts
don't even go there

GoofyGuy said:
I agree to disagree. While most engines you drop the compresion to make more boost this is only because the enigne isnt built correctly. Its all about volume and how much you can get in there in an instant. A well tuned motor at 10.1 compression will make a ton more power then a well tuned motor at 8:1 thats already know. The question is why do they lower the compression? Its about the HeadGasket mostly. Poor passages plus too much pressure it blows. The better the Head gasket and head setup the more compression the more power.

As for fuel its very delicate process that has to be taken care of. If done right you get tons of power and you can run lots of it like NOS. If tuned perfect its 100% safe where as if you run in the wrong direction its only 60% safe and effective. Piggy back with a 3 bar map sensor worked into replacing the stock one and then you can tune it to run with boost. The stock map is only good for 2psi till its in a I have no idea what to do mode. This is why the GSM kit cant make full power. Hint Hint guys. I like the setup they have but they need to get a tuning option.

I don't even know why I'm replying but here goes.

I have built literally dozens of extremely hi performance street and marine engines. Some of these were big block chevys that made over 900 crank HP.
No offense intended here, but you are really in the dark.

Learn and understand why, then get back to me!


Steve
06 CSRT8
all stock all original
everything but DVD
waiting for software
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
M3SMG02 said:
....ooooh, My Bad.

How about a link?

Thanks;

LJB :smoker:

Oh, wait a minute...isn't the Challenger's "LY" Chassis a shortened "LX"?

LJB :smoker:
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top