Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the black diamond tip extreme on. This is the baddest ass sounding stock and unmolested internals engine I have ever had the pleasure to own. I got it home to show my wife, and parked it on the garage w the pipes toward the interior of the house, it shook the China cabinet and rattled the contents. The China cab is strapped and lad screwed to two individual studs. No shit the only time I heard it do that, we had a magnitude 3 or 4 earthquake. For the first time I will be backing out of my garage. Neighbor across the pond is a jerk off, hope he like the note,,,, it is almost as loud as my 224/224 TR CAM GTP stage 2 heads , catless, 1 3/4 LT, with B&B touring c5. I blasted it next to some old guy in a 328 bimmer merging on the interstate, and I think I scared the crap out of him.
Interior noise is definitely increased. There is a temporary drone when it goes MDS then it mellows a tad. Drone is more noticeable when in MDS and going up hill. Drone is moderate at 50 to 62 mph, and starts to fade at 65 mph. Not bad at 72mph. I am hoping it is gone by 77 to 82 mph. I cruise around 80. 73 is the fastest i have had a chance to go. It drones more than the magnaflow on a LS2 V, more than the modded C5, but less than a catted, heads, red armstrong exhausted turbo buick (long rides require replacement of lost dental work). Blacking out the trim w vinyl next week. Vipers on and tint in place. It's gelling.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got up at 3:33am just to go for a ride this am. Drone has already improved. About like my magnaflowed V was after 24 hrs. Drone is worse than the V under load and in MDS and cruise or light throttle ( there is only one cure for that, lookout Shell card). Drone is a plesant rumble at low 70s to 80 mph. This car turns a lot of necks stock, but with the corsas it breaks them. Just like w the V, I predict the milage is going to tke another hit. Gentleman, as Autoweek put it ohh so well, the 300 SRT8 is a 'Gorilla in a tuxedo." Corsa is the best exhaust I have run over all. Other than a little drone my other complaint would be that under heavier load, when the car goes from MDS to full glory 8 cylinders, the exhaust not sounds like an elk bugling. The 300 has not yet been molested by the stray randy elk, but my concerns run high.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Are you running catless or something? I have the same engine and exhaust, and no drone at all.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Cats intact. New exhaust needs broke in. Seems to b improving.
Love the S60R. Polestar rocks

I've had my MDS turned off for a long while. Not because of drone, just because I wasn't seeing a big enough mileage difference (don't do much long highway driving in this car), so I keep it as the 8 cylinder it was meant to be all the time. :)

Great choice of exhaust.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do 3/4 of my driving in the interstate, other wise it would b off. I find if MDS is on, I can modulate with the paddle shifters and or putting it I sport mode (which is on unless my 37 weeks of pregnancy wife is riding shotgun).

·
Registered
508 Posts
I do 3/4 of my driving in the interstate, other wise it would b off. I find if MDS is on, I can modulate with the paddle shifters and or putting it I sport mode (which is on unless my 37 weeks of pregnancy wife is riding shotgun).
yup, sport mode is what I used to do until I got the trinity.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Interesting. Even in Sport mode my MDS would kick on. It's Track mode where it won't. That and autostick, of course. I just turned MDS completely off with my Trinity, though. Hate MDS.

Now you're making me wish I got the Corsa Xtreme, Chubb!! Of course, my wife and infant probably don't agree since I already get a little flak from putting on the Magnaflow, lol.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Interesting. Even in Sport mode my MDS would kick on. It's Track mode where it won't. That and autostick, of course. I just turned MDS completely off with my Trinity, though. Hate MDS.

Now you're making me wish I got the Corsa Xtreme, Chubb!! Of course, my wife and infant probably don't agree since I already get a little flak from putting on the Magnaflow, lol.
Gibby, I used the wrong terminology. I meant autostick, not Sport mode to disable MDS before my Trinity.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ah ok, lol. Had me all confucious. :)

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I agree about the MDS. Right now I've got mine turned off with the tuner (intune), and am getting 18.5 as long as I keep my foot out of it. That drone will drive you crazy after a short time, at least with the Magnaflow system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drone has definitely improved, and you learn not to lug the engine under load, owning an automatic is making me to lazy to down shift. I took a 200 mile drive yesterday, 150 miles of it on the interstate. Hwy speeds averaged between 72 and 82mph. No problems w drone although it does seem to cause a low frequency vibration, that reminded me of the cam shake and rumble of my magnacore LS2 V. The 300 is still a pleasure to drive on the interstate, the exhaust "note" is more obvious, but the car now sounds like a 392 should.
My only complaint other than drone when lugged and under load and w light thottle, would be the bugle like sound that pops on and off when the car goes in and out of MDS , under light throttle like you would in city driving. Simple cure is to turn the MDS off or don't give it light thottle. I can put up with it. This tank of gas is 40/60 as far as city/highway, and I am averaging 19 mpg, so I can put up with a couple of minor issues. Overall, having the exhaust on definitely enhances the driving experience and i would recommend the corsa extreme based on throaty note, lack of interior noise ( except when you get on it , which I like). Tge felllow that put it at the Dealership, it had a nice fit and went on easy. No rattles noted. The car sounds awsome on cold start up. It scares women and little children.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Chubb, if it's scared women and small children, then it's a done deal!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Drone has definitely improved, and you learn not to lug the engine under load, owning an automatic is making me to lazy to down shift. I took a 200 mile drive yesterday, 150 miles of it on the interstate. Hwy speeds averaged between 72 and 82mph. No problems w drone although it does seem to cause a low frequency vibration, that reminded me of the cam shake and rumble of my magnacore LS2 V. The 300 is still a pleasure to drive on the interstate, the exhaust "note" is more obvious, but the car now sounds like a 392 should.
My only complaint other than drone when lugged and under load and w light thottle, would be the bugle like sound that pops on and off when the car goes in and out of MDS , under light throttle like you would in city driving. Simple cure is to turn the MDS off or don't give it light thottle. I can put up with it. This tank of gas is 40/60 as far as city/highway, and I am averaging 19 mpg, so I can put up with a couple of minor issues. Overall, having the exhaust on definitely enhances the driving experience and i would recommend the corsa extreme based on throaty note, lack of interior noise ( except when you get on it , which I like). Tge felllow that put it at the Dealership, it had a nice fit and went on easy. No rattles noted. The car sounds awsome on cold start up. It scares women and little children.
Happy Easter!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can you also do one inside the car, so curious to hear what it sounds like in cabin. I would be in a possible toss up between the sport and the extreme, don't want the wife complaining anymore than she does right now! My goal is to have the car in August, have the exhaust waiting on it (depending on what year I get of course) and then unfortunately it will sit for a bit while I'm in Korea.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts