Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 392 lust in a bad way and I need your help. Either help me to accept (rationalize) it or help me break its grip. I can afford it, but its not like I don't have other places I could spend the money :)

What were your motivations for dropping this kind of money in your car?
Did you do it while you still had warranty?
Do you expect to keep the car forever or do you just expect to take a beating when it's time to move on?

-david

·
Registered
618 Posts
The Devil made me do it! But seriously I don't regret it. There's always other needs for money( roof, dentist, etc.). I bought my 300c used with 30k kilos and she's on warrenty till this August. I plan on keeping this car for a while.
I intend to continue modding it, little tweaks here and there. I've had lots of muscle cars ( 68 Charger, 69 Cuda, 71 Mach 1), none of them come close to my Heavy Hemi.:fing02:

·
Registered
903 Posts
If you're going to go 392 why not go to 426 or even sleeve it and do a 440. I hear the 440 sleeve kit is more reliable and last longer since it doesn't suffer from the thin weak wall syndrome.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're going to go 392 why not go to 426 or even sleeve it and do a 440. I hear the 440 sleeve kit is more reliable and last longer since it doesn't suffer from the thin weak wall syndrome.
I've seen the Hot Rod magazine article on the 426 sleeve kit, but this is the first I've heard of a 440 sleeve kit. If I go forward with this, Stu will be my builder and I know he's not a fan of the sleeve approach and favor's the 392 setup over the 426. I think he's posted on this subject before (either here or on other forums).

Funny how things come full circle - my first car was a 1965 model with an aluminum block, wet sleeve hemi. 4 cylinder, 1600 CC and a whopping 122 HP.

-david

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
if...

I've seen the Hot Rod magazine article on the 426 sleeve kit, but this is the first I've heard of a 440 sleeve kit. If I go forward with this, Stu will be my builder and I know he's not a fan of the sleeve approach and favor's the 392 setup over the 426. I think he's posted on this subject before (either here or on other forums). Funny how things come full circle - my first car was a 1965 model with an aluminum block, wet sleeve hemi. 4 cylinder, 1600 CC and a whopping 122 HP. -david

If you have the 6.1 then you're already at 370 CI, what is 22 more gonna get you? The difference is so small it isn't worth it. That's a great 5.7 upgrade, though.

I wouldn't even waste the money on anything less than a 426. There's no replacement for displacement! And, properly done, there is nothing wrong with sleeves/liners.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Lust for a 392 can ONLY be cured with a 426! besides the rational thing is to have the weight reduction program of the 426, it is lighter than the 392! Why you may ask? well simple it has more air in it than the 392, air is lighter than metal. Right?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've seen the Hot Rod magazine article on the 426 sleeve kit, but this is the first I've heard of a 440 sleeve kit. If I go forward with this, Stu will be my builder and I know he's not a fan of the sleeve approach and favor's the 392 setup over the 426. I think he's posted on this subject before (either here or on other forums).

Funny how things come full circle - my first car was a 1965 model with an aluminum block, wet sleeve hemi. 4 cylinder, 1600 CC and a whopping 122 HP.

-david
It was in a hotrod or mopar magazine, probably about 8 months to a year ago. It was specifically mentioning the Indy 426 kit that just bores and strokes and mentioned the sleeves were thicker and got up to 440. I wish I would have bought the magazine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking at the article now. The sleeving operation alone is $3,800. Thats on top of all the other bits. Every time I look at the pics, I get nervous about all the meat they carve out of the block to install the sleeves. Most of the top deck and all of the original cylinder walls is gone. There is a pair of .025" O rings separating the water jacket from the crank case on each cylinder. The pic of that is a little scary. Wet sleeves have been used successfully for years, but those are in blocks that were designed for them. Oh yeah, and there is that small matter of an extra $3,800... I haven't seen any reports on this setup other than the article in Hot Rod magazine. I was pretty stoked by that article and then checked around a bit and then re-read the article. At any rate, its outside my budget for now.

BTW - I can't find a mention of 440 in my copy. I have a special "Hot Rod Engines" issue, so perhaps the article has been edited a bit.

-david

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go the cubes, all 440 of 'em. As they say - there's no substitute for cubic inches. It will pull like a MOFO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
for a DD i went with a 392 no bore just stroker the 6.1 block is not that thick anyways.. my engine was about 8500 with ported heads intake manifold i bought and parted together a complete long block 6.1.. brand new everything.. should have 550-600 crank hp!

·
Registered
127 Posts
we just tuned a 392 that made 485 rwhp and 465rwtq. the 426 we tuned made 470 rwhp and 485 rwtq. We think once we can get the 90mm TB, the 426 will make around 490rwhp.

·
Registered
14 Posts

-david
I heard from arrington engines that a thick walled aluminium block from Mopar is supposed to be out this summer for our new hemi's. With typical delays we might see it around Christmas!

·
Registered
7 Posts
i will have some pics friday of a stu built 392 stroker with a 226/230 112lsa cam.. also some vids if i can get it in my truck and running..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts