Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been reading up on this mod on a couple different car areas,
and dont think alot of people have heard of it, or know supposably how easy it is. This Mod is to customize the 3rd brake light by blacking out areas to show a word or design.

However i managed come across this website
SterlingDecals.com - Chrysler 300c Decals & Graphics

Anyways i went ahead and ordered the 300c for myself.
Figured why not for $10 after shipping.

but ill show the ones they offer too

Also just to add ...

Some People i've read have used black electrical tape, others have cut out cardboard and /or just simply painted parts of it black.

And i'm sure even some VHT Nightshade spray would make it interesting.

Anyways i'll take a pic once i recieve mine and have this in and let everyone know what i think, and of course want your opinions ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've seen stuff like this on ebay before and wasnt really sure how to install it. It looks like our third brake light backs up to the glass and if you just put it outside the window I'm not sure how that would look.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a black clip that goes infront your bulb... not sure if its the reflector itself or just a cut out.
However not hard to get to... you have to undo your back seat side pads to get the back cover off and then its 2 7mm screws i think for the entire mount itself. I'll do a walk through when it comes on in if you'd like

·
Registered
423 Posts
That would be great. Just went to thier website and they have one for maggies as well. My friend owns his own tattoo shop and may get him one as a grand opening present.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
its a black clip that goes infront your bulb... not sure if its the reflector itself or just a cut out.
However not hard to get to... you have to undo your back seat side pads to get the back cover off and then its 2 7mm screws i think for the entire mount itself. I'll do a walk through when it comes on in if you'd like
cool, Ill order one then and ill look out for your write up.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
hmm interesting...would this mod be any problem with the law?
The light is still visible, so I cannot see why it would cause issues. "F U PIG" might be a bad custom idea though.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
The light is still visible, so I cannot see why it would cause issues. "F U PIG" might be a bad custom idea though.
Hahahaha! Could you imagine seeing a cop behind you with a red light coming up with that on your 3rd brake light? :biggrin:

Ordering the HEMI cover.

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
hmm interesting...would this mod be any problem with the law?
Some cars don't have a third brake light. You only need 2 - you can do anything with the extra one.

I thought about doing this awhile ago, but after I got my LED tails, I kinda liked how the third brake light appears to be a line of LED's and it matches my tail lights well. But my third brake doesn't look like the one's pictured above. They appear to have a refractor type lens which spreads the light more, instead of having the LED-like points of light.

But I'll tell you what - you just gave me one hell of a VHT idea! Thanks Quiknen. :fing02:

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Cars of yesteryear have two brake lights, I'm pretty sure three is mandatory for new cars though.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just to clearify, i forgot where the rumor came out but the 3rd brake light is to tell if a car is stoping from far away or if its actually been in an accident and is upside down. Kind of makes it easier to tell when you see a middle brake light closer to the ground haha...

This would be perfectly legal because its just a cover, You are not tampering with your light so the aftermarket lighting law would not apply.
Also they couldnt get you for tinting unless you used VHT Nightshades, but even then its "inside your car" so how are they really going to notice untill you press your brake.

Glad i brought this mod up and i got the normal crew following me ;)
Hopefully i get mine first because i'll be sad if i got this idea and you guys beet me to the write-up! :(

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
hmm well ill wait to see a write up on how to do that mod properly before i order mines :lick:
Huh?!?!? It's like putting a sticker on a piece of plastic. You really need a how to? :biggrin:
Glad i brought this mod up and i got the normal crew following me ;)
Hopefully i get mine first because i'll be sad if i got this idea and you guys beet me to the write-up! :(
I'm surprised at the following this has too. I thought this was pretty commonly known, but I guess not. Look forward to seeing everybody's new lights.

So let me ask, I assume we all have the same third brake light. So are any of you guys worried about how the light will shine through? As I was saying earlier, I just think it may be a little "spotty" depending on the wording you get due to our "LED-like" third brake lights. If I were to do it, I think I would try to add some sort of light refractor to the lens to help spread and warm the light, so that it lights up the letters more evenly than what I'm thinking our dot-like third brake currently looks like. Kinda like the refractors seen above. Am I crazy, or does this make any sense?

I might be interested in some custom ones to match my badges. Hmmm....

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Huh?!?!? It's like putting a sticker on a piece of plastic. You really need a how to? :biggrin:

I'm surprised at the following this has too. I thought this was pretty commonly known, but I guess not. Look forward to seeing everybody's new lights.

So let me ask, I assume we all have the same third brake light. So are any of you guys worried about how the light will shine through? As I was saying earlier, I just think it may be a little "spotty" depending on the wording you get due to our "LED-like" third brake lights. If I were to do it, I think I would try to add some sort of light refractor to the lens to help spread and warm the light, so that it lights up the letters more evenly than what I'm thinking our dot-like third brake currently looks like. Kinda like the refractors seen above. Am I crazy, or does this make any sense?

I might be interested in some custom ones to match my badges. Hmmm....

haha nah i know that but how are we suppose to access that area though? does the cover just pop off or what you know? i have never bothered to look or check so i wouldnt know :pat:

·
Registered
207 Posts
lil pain to get to the 3rd brake light.. in srt models which same as the C's u gota take the hole back lid out..same as to replace back speakers.. When i first got the car i was getting it tinted and didnt want them to cut around the 3rd brake light so i took it out while they did the job and put it back.. cool and cheap mod i think im gona go with the srt-8 one

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts