Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Once again, my name is Marko and I love hemis :D Been reading ur stuff for quite a while but never registered until now. Anyways, lemme get to the point.

I own a 2005 5.7 300C with 82k miles on it. Been thinking of sticking a turbo on it for a while now and seems like I'm about to do it. Life ain't cheap where I come from so I decided to make a kit myself. Found a guy selling a brand new twin scroll Garrett TA45 turbo with A/R .72. After doing some research that one seems like a decent way to go. The same guy also has a wastegate, intercooler, blow off valve, piping, boost controller and gauges and other misc parts needed for a conversion. I can give u the details in a day or two when I get em myself. All this joy should cost me somewhere around 1500$. Brand new.

I'm going to fabricate the manifold flanges myself. I should also state that I have a K&N mushroom filter and I fabricated the heat shield for it. Also, I installed electric cutouts and did the "No ESP mod", courtesy of this lovely place :D However, I do have a few question that I would appreciate answering.

1) Lubrication. How do I pull that off? Is a simple T junction on the existing oil line enough to lubricate the turbo?

2) ECU. I know absolutely nothing about tuning. Diablosport is out of the question since I would get charged double due to customs. Tuners are scarce in these parts too. There is one who claims he can pull it off and my question is is it complicated or even possible to tune the existing ECU? If not will I need an aftermarket one? How much will it hurt me?

3) I found Campbell Enterprise Bullet Series forged pistons with compression ration of 8.7. Is this CR low enough for some serious boost? My goal is 500HP.

4) Other than the pistons are there any other components that I should be thinking about upgrading? I've passed the boy racer mode but I still love to floor it quite often. However, I'm not redlining it that much, maybe 3-4 times a day. From what I've read pistons are the weak link up to 500-550 HP, above which everything becomes a weak link so that's my goal for now.

I'll post some pics when I find some time. In the meantime, thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Marko

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention. I'm running on LPG. Is that a problem regarding the turbo conversion? If so, would it help if I run it on LPG while cruising and petrol while flooring it?

Cheers,
Marko

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
If you are shooting for over 500rwhp (lofty goals without a cam or head work) and are going to boost over 7psi then you will want to pick up a forged crank, rods and pistons. Boost ramp on a turbois quick and cylinder pressure and egt's will sore quickly and you will put an end to that 5.7 fairly quickly. If you shoot for mid 400's and 5-6psi then she will hold for awhile on stock bottom end. Just forging pistons is worthless... Fwiw rods are the weak link combined with the upper piston ringland on the 5.7.

Tuning will need a diablo to unlock, a cheap used predator will do it for $150 and you will need a custom tune from a guy like Johan to get you in check... Period... No if and's or buts on that one. You could also use an EFI Live for example but the tuners who use that platform are few and far between and it will cost you more. There are no decent inexpensive ecu upgrades.

For lubrication, t at the fitting above the alternator for pressure side and for a drain run a tap to the pan above the oil line.

Working today or else this would be a much better response!

Good luck with the build, I almost went turbo but the complete lack of mounting space killed it for me! Much easier to pick up a novi centrifugal and make the same power with easier mounting and the cost was pretty similar... Won me over!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about a blower as well, 10k or more (remember customs) I simply can't afford. As for the mounting space I was thinking about cutting a hole in the bonnet and making it stick out. That looks mighty sexy to me :D

I don't wanna risk blowing the engine so I guess I'll stick with 400 something hp for now. Could I pull off 500 without the crankshaft? Rods and pistons I could pick up for 1.5k and the crankshaft is another 1.5k. As for the porting I can get that done cheap and cam would set me back another 800 or so which I guess I could live through.

I'll get the Predator. Anyone selling btw? :D I'd be grateful for Johan's contact info as well. I already asked someone as Diablosport about a turbo tune, saying I can mail em the dyno results, but the guy told me he couldn't do it via email only. Think this guy Johan could?

Oh and what are ur thoughts on LPG situation?

Sorry for grilling u but u seem to know ur stuff hehe.

Cheers,
Marko

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I was thinking about a blower as well, 10k or more (remember customs) I simply can't afford. As for the mounting space I was thinking about cutting a hole in the bonnet and making it stick out. That looks mighty sexy to me :D

I don't wanna risk blowing the engine so I guess I'll stick with 400 something hp for now. Could I pull off 500 without the crankshaft? Rods and pistons I could pick up for 1.5k and the crankshaft is another 1.5k. As for the porting I can get that done cheap and cam would set me back another 800 or so which I guess I could live through.

I'll get the Predator. Anyone selling btw? :D I'd be grateful for Johan's contact info as well. I already asked someone as Diablosport about a turbo tune, saying I can mail em the dyno results, but the guy told me he couldn't do it via email only. Think this guy Johan could?

Oh and what are ur thoughts on LPG situation?

Sorry for grilling u but u seem to know ur stuff hehe.

Cheers,
Marko
Johan works for diablo and is one of the best tuners around, yes he can do an email tune from a datalog and get your car in check. [email protected] is how you reach him, tell him Rob Watson sent you over from the forums. Diablosport doesn't do email tunes, they just supply the canned tunes for the tuners.

Find a 6.1 crank, it's forged and can be had for around $300-400, turn it down for small block Chevy rods, run a good forged piston keeping compression around 8.5 and run your boost up to 12psi and you'll hit your goal and have a solid bottom end. To get there you'll want to have your heads ported and 6.1 valve springs and pushrods installed and do a boost cam. Also kick the stock 5.7 intake manifold to the curb and pick up either an eagle (08-12 5.7) or 6.1 intake if you want to make any power past 5700rpm or the intake runners in yours are going to kill your roll up top. Also you NEED to breathe and to do that you can install some 6.1 manifolds (shortly headers) and mids, if not your EGT's will shoot up on a pull and your going to eventually cook something.

I think what I'm getting at here is there is a LOT more to boosting a 5.7 than bolting a snail under the hood and going fast. At 400rwhp your axles are on borrowed time, your transmission will need more line pressure, your injectors won't flow enough at all, your fuel pump will puke in no time if it has enough umph to keep up etc etc... So many things to plan.

I'd make a solid plan if I were you... I have done similar, I started beefing the axles and diff, cammed it, did heads, headers and full exhaust for flow, beefed the transmission and then went to boost... Low'ish pressure at 7.5psi (a lot for a stock block though), and got my setup ready to crank the boost When I build my bottom end (which I'm doing now). If you want I will put you together a list of musts and can waits but will need if you want? I always have budget in mind so don't think it will be a "buy a kenne bell and go fast" list.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info mate. I'd love to hear ur list. After hearing what u have to say and reading up some more I think I'll swap the pistons, rods, crank and cam first, get the heads ported and install 6.1 springs and pushrods. I really hope I can get that done for under 3k cause otherwise I won't have enough cash left to pick up the turbo kit, and that kit is a bargain. Maybe I leave the heads, springs and pushrods for later. After that I'll do the headers and intake manifold. I don't think I'll need mids since I have cutouts installed between headers and suitcases. Plenty of breathing room there. Before installing the turbo I'll try to get the diff and axles done. If not, I won't molest it much before I get that done. After the turbo is screwed on I'll try to get the injectors and the fuel pump. I think that driveshaft and transmission can hold up to 500 rwhp given my driving style. I never do traffic lights racing or quarter mile runs. After all that is done I'll get another turbo for the 700 hp mark :D In a few years lol

Anyways, lemme know what u think. Any suggestions or criticism is very welcome :D

Cheers,
Marko

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Your on the right path... Now your mids will need replaced if you do 6.1 headers as they cannot be mated to 5.7 mids, different angle, bolt pattern, size , length etc... No bueno, but then I guess you're making a turbo flange and chasing routing anyway so no big deal either way... Just 5.7 mids are smaller closer to the turbo, less heat dissipation and may see higher EGT's.

You can boost on a stock cam but if you are doing head work etc then to me its a solid decision to do it. You will need injectors and more than likely a bap at the very least and possibly pump before you boost. You'll run out before WOT and go lean... Besides it won't tune.

Why don't you hold off on the super expensive stuff like forging the bottom end till you have more funds? Get the top end built first, beef the driveline a bit and get the snail under the hood and mounted right. Set the wastegate for 6psi and enjoy it for awhile... When funds are better, build the bottom end and change the wastegate for 12 psi and go rip stuff up.

Personally...

1) Port & polish heads and port match for eagle intake manifold and 6.1 headers. Use 6.1 springs and pushrods (depending on cam) and titanium retainers.

2) boost cam or small cam like a sidewinder.

3) 6.1 timing chain and harmonic balancer (only with a turbo, not supercharged obviously)

4) eagle 5.7 intake and fuel rails.

5) 2 bar map sensor

6) One heat range cooler spark plugs

7) SRT4 stage 2 injectors

8) AEM 50-1000 fuel pump

9) 6.1 headers and mids (mate to stock catback and pull resos), you can go catless and I'd advise it as you will plug a cat fairly quickly on boost anyway.

At this point you are ready to boost... But even at 5-6psi your driveline will cry in pain on the 'odd' (you'll do more!!) wot run. IMO at the very least...

1) Tranzformer shift box running increased pressure.

2) new axles... Personally I'd switch to either an open or getrag rear diff at this point, they can, be had for $400-600 grab you some gear ratio down low and can support the cheaper 09 R/T axles that will handle your power levels.

That's my opinion... and that's really all it is, but I have done a couple mods throughout the years on more than a couple hemi's... ?

Reactions: ManicPsychotic

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was doing some thinking the last couple of days and I think your way is the way to go. The only problem I see now is finding a wrecked SRT cause we are a small country. Most of the people think I'm driving a Bentley anyway :) So availability is an issue. I'll get what I can as soon as I can and the rest will have to way until I find parts in Germany or somewhere within EU. I didn't even know about Tranzformer until now. Did some reading and it's a great little thing. I might even get that before most of the other stuff. I'll also get my sis to buy me a cam, injectors, rails and chain in the states. Maybe some other easy to smuggle stuff as well hehe.

Anyways, thanks a lot on the info mate. I really appreciate it. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress :D

Off topic - I see ur bday is 5th of Oct. So is mine ;D Just don't tell me u were born in the '86.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I'd update u guys on the progress. Got the turbo, an intercooler from a R34 GTR, wastegate and a blow off valve. Everything apart from the intercooler is basically new. The parts have done less than 100 miles on an Audi before the guy wrecked it. Intune is on its way as well. I installed a K&N filter and I'm fabricating the heat shield for it. Next week I'm installing the cutouts.

Meanwhile my main fuel pump dropped dead. I figure it's the LPG guy's fault since he didn't install a relay to shut the pump down while I'm running on LPG. So the car is at the shop now, waiting for a pump to arrive from the states.

That's about it. I'll post a sad photo in the next reply since I've reached the limit here.

Cheers,
Marko

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts