Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am debating a lot of different things so bare with me. Should I swap my 5.7 to a 6.1 or mod my 5.7? possibly trade it in for a new 6.4?

All I want is mid 500hp, reliability, and decent mpg's (15/22 city/highway)......... that shouldn't be too hard.

Everything is an option for me, if I cant afford it all up front I have no problem saving up for parts I need.

What do you have and what has been working well for you?

The car is a bone stock 2012 300c with 20k on the odometer waiting to be modded.............and go.

·
Administrator
19,606 Posts
Trade it. There is sooo much work needed besides just transplanting the bigger engine. Brakes, suspension, gearing, PCM, etc...all need to be considered. It's an expensive proposition.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trade it. There is sooo much work needed besides just transplanting the bigger engine. Brakes, suspension, gearing, PCM, etc...all need to be considered. It's an expensive proposition.
That's what I was afraid of, trading is the very last option I have. I would rather just build on this one if nothing else...... In other words my wife would be pissed if I wanted to trade

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm with MADDOG but if that isn't an option you need to mod your 5.7 with heads/cam/pully/tune. There's no way you could swap a 6.1 and get the same performance for cheaper. Unless you did it yourself I guess... Even then.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's what I was afraid of, trading is the very last option I have. I would rather just build on this one if nothing else...... In other words my wife would be pissed if I wanted to trade
You think she'd be pissed if you traded? How mad would she be when she is told, yet again, that the car won't be ready for the 5th week in a row because of electronic issue?. You know, the type that cause your rpm's to skyrocket when you put your turn signals on....

Trade it. Tell her you've detected a slight knock in the engine and want to unload it, "just in case", before it blows :naughty:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am planning on an intune and exhaust next week, I am going to look around ad see if I can find a new srt and start figuring our prices..... But if I can trade it won't be till tax season for sure

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
You know my thoughts on this already... But as your car is new I would consider a trade. If your gonna drop thousands on mods, you may as well pay more on the tag price for a new SRT or even a one year old one. That 5.7 can be made to do all that an SRT can, a block is a block and a 5.7 can make plenty of power too. However... The drivetrain has to handle that power so lots of mods there, the brakes need to stop the car so lots of money gone there and you are still have suspension, interior and body styling left... Honestly the SRT is much better value for money than doing a motor swap.

That being said if you want to keep your car that badly then heads and cam, headers, hiflows and exhaust, underdrive pulley, 180 tstat, good CAI and a tune will wake that car up just fine! ;) A set of gears will make it crack away even better... You could also boost it with or without the heads and cam and the car will be a rocket, just upgrade the axles... Just kinda think your gonna spend as much doing your mods as you would on an upgrade unless you turn your own wrenches...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just kinda think your gonna spend as much doing your mods as you would on an upgrade unless you turn your own wrenches...
I do most my own work but I do not have the tools or garage for some things...... and I talked to the wife we are a big NO GO on a trade in.

So it looks like I am going to mod my 5.7, so question is header back exhaust or an intune first?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, at least the swap is off the table.

Both. Exhaust complimented by a CAI (a real one that actually gets "cold" air), followed by a tune.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Exhaust intake and tune it is, probably start with an airaid cai and an intune
If you want to make power look towards LMI hammer design or equivalent, airaid gained very little on the gen 1 in spite its large claims. Headers and mids will gain power and change the note significantly, catbacks help with flow when camming down the road but don't do much for hp on our cars really (small gains) so pick more on sound. An intune won't gain you a ton of power either, but boy oh boy does it ever crisp things up, excellent mod. A 180 tstat will keep you out of the KR inducing heat soak that occurs around 195+ and robs power. That's a good start! Should be up around 35-45hp then, plus the car will be sharpened... You'll like it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want to make power look towards LMI hammer design or equivalent, airaid gained very little on the gen 1 in spite its large claims. Headers and mids will gain power and change the note significantly, catbacks help with flow when camming down the road but don't do much for hp on our cars really (small gains) so pick more on sound. An intune won't gain you a ton of power either, but boy oh boy does it ever crisp things up, excellent mod. A 180 tstat will keep you out of the KR inducing heat soak that occurs around 195+ and robs power. That's a good start! Should be up around 35-45hp then, plus the car will be sharpened... You'll like it.

Right on, I am am on the way to get the thermostat now

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Right on, I am am on the way to get the thermostat now
In which case order the intune soon as you will only get real benefits when you can lower your fan turn on temps to aid the tstat in city driving... However you will run cooler on the highway till it arrives...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
went to go get the thermostat and they cant even order parts for my car.............so anyone know where I can get a 180 degree thermostat?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thats ma boy!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drove a new srt8 today..... It really makes me think about trading mine I but I don't know if I can justify the price jump as I only owe 28k on my 2012 300c.

The one I drove was 54k and for half of that price gap I could make mine pretty fast

·
Registered
199 Posts
In order for you to make it just as fast/just as sticky on the road, it'll cost you lots. But ultimately, the choice is yours. Keep in mind one thing; Any $$ spent on mods on this car go down the drain. Spending more for the SRT will at least get you back "some" of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2006 300C awd and just finish to swap the 6.1, only need to reprogram the engine ecm (which is the 6.1 one) for the serial # and get a custom tune from Johan of diablosport and ready to go, it was pretty easy to do and you have to use all the wiring and ecm from the 6.1.
I previously install the srtmax camshaft, bbk 90mm throttle body, and an under drive pulley on the 6.1.more info later for the transfer case capability...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts