Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 5.7 decided to get creative and make some glitter to spaz up the oil for me... lifter must have locked up and started grinding away at the cam shaft. I was looking into swaping in a 6.1, if i could find a long block for not a hole lot more than a 5.7, and wanted to know what parts i could still use and what i would have to buy new. Also how would it work out in an awd car. Would i be able to flash the ecu with a tuner? Ive read a 6.1 will run on a 5.7 ecu without a flash but i wont get as much performance out of it. What do you guys think, would this make sense to do or should i just stick with a 5.7. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
You really need to put info on your car in the post or signature.

I think most things should work and AWD should be fine. 6.1 heads are different from early 5.7 heads though, so you'd also need intake and exhaust manifolds. Certainly would need some kind of tune as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of info are you guys looking for, i dont remember what i covered so ill start from the top. Its a 2007 300c that came with a hemi 5.7 and an nag1 (not sure if there was any other transmission option) its an all wheel drive car. Its got 160k miles and the lifter thing is the only issue. Depending on if i can find a 6.1 that i can afford, i would like to install that instead of a 5.7. The software date on the car is 6/28/06. The only aftermarket part ive installed on the car is a cold air intake. The cars vin is 2c3lk63h57h792104. This engine has never been rebuilt, i know just about the full history of the car as my uncle bought it new, he then sold it to my grandmother who owned it for 10 years and i bought it a couple of months ago when she decided she wanted a new jeep... she picked the right time to sell if i cant afford a 6.1 ill build a 5.7, im waiting on an estimate from a machine shop right now, but the guy is busy untill winter so the car might have to sit for a while. I cant afford to get it done right now anyway, but if he is significantly cheaper than a new long block thats the rout i will take. If i can find a 6.1 for somewhere around four thousand then i will do that, especialy now that i know i can use the majority of the parts from my 5.7. I havent been able to find any 6.1s for sale, what is a realistic price i should expect to find one for? Thanks for the help guys, i hope i covered enough info

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why don't you confirm the problem first and maybe fix it. Instead of assuming the worst and taking the most extreme route to fix it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is metal shavings in my oil... the engine needs a rebuild weither its cam shaft shavings or anything else, its either getting rebuilt or swapped regardless of what caused it

·
Registered
115 Posts
"what is a realistic price i should expect to find one for?"
Looks like $3000 for a high miles version to $6500 for low miles complete. Found one with a Vortech supercharger and only 45Kmi for $10,0000.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6500 for a complete engine with low milage isnt that bad, but it is 2 grand more than a 5.7 long block, i definatly cannot afford the supercharged one lol, im gonna have to see what my pay checks look like for the next little while but a 6.1 swap is starting to seem pretty realistic. Its just to bad this engine had to bite the dust. Thanks for helping me look into this, i am gonna have to realy keep my eyes peeled for a 6.1 because it would be a lot of fun to have one

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your tight budget and apparent youth is why I think you need to consider fixing the one you have. It would take a fraction of the time and budget to replace the cam and lifters. And that's assuming that is the problem, you haven't confirmed it yet. Way too often I've seen people take on too much cause they assumed the worse. What if it's just a rocker, that'd be like $50 and an hour, but you don't really know yet.

I found those numbers on car-part.com, great source for used parts, look yourself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not gonna run this engine without rebuilding it, again there are metal shavings in the oil... do you know what that does to bearings? Its not worth replacing the cam and lifters when i would just have to tear it all back down again after i roll a bearing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
"do you know what that does to bearings?"
- Yes, nothing, the oil supplied to the bearings is filtered first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look im done trying to argue, theres a lot metal shavings can screw up and if you dont beleive me i dont realy care. This is my engine and im choosing to do this the right way

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice youve given about the compatibility of a 6.1 in a car that came with a 5.7, it was helpfull... no more off topic

1 - 13 of 13 Posts