I'm thinking about going with the 6.1 motor
How much stuff would I have to buy besides the motor to make it run properly

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I have a 2009 300c 5.7

I'm thinking about going with the 6.1 motor
How much stuff would I have to buy besides the motor to make it run properly
The 6.1 hemi is not being manufactured any longer.Parts are still available tho.
Your 09 is an eagle engine.With a few bolt on s plus a diablo sport tuner you can
get to over 400 hp easily.Conversions have their own problems.Many threads out there
on this subject,

·
Administrator
13,325 Posts
the received thoughts on this in the past have been thats its cheaper overall to sell up entirely and just buy a SRT8

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
6.1 motor
6.1 headers/mids/exhaust
6.1 PCM that will need a flash
Or
5.7 PCM with a custom map
6.1 radiator and hoses (5.7 ones won't fit)

Now... that's must do's... If you don't change the following you are on borrowed time or not getting the full potential of the motor.

215mm diff, axles and rear section of driveshaft.
TCM

The swap is fairly straightforward... But I'd still strongly suggest doing a cam and heads swap, torque converter and headers and mids... The eagle responds great to mods and will give a 6.1 a real handful on the street when built right...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
You have to send me a christmas card for those Jim...

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
No problem.

Wait! Which ones? There's the family ones, then there are the cards sent to your poker night buddies that are custom made from pics you (or they) took when you (or they) passed out.

Guess it doesn't matter, one's just a little more entertaining.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
As strong as the new gen 5.7's are i would strongly consider modding one up as suggested above.

It's important to note that the SRT8 will be substantially heavier, so if you really want the same level of balanced performance you will be very busy. But if you want to go in a straight line a 5.7 will definitely fill the bill...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll just do some bolt on's and love it

I love the car for sure

I think long as I'm over 400 to the wheels I'm happy
I love the hemi engine

What's some recommendations you guys suggest for websites to order stuff off of?

Tune
Exhaust work
MAYBE headers
Cold air intake are a must

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
If you want over 400hp to the wheels take 'maybe' out of the headers line... ? You will absolutely need them to get there.

If that's the power level you want then a 6.1 in stock trim wouldn't get you there either with typical rwhp numbers coming in at 360-380hp. The odd 6.1 pulls a 400+whp out of the bag with a good tune in stock trim, but absolutely not all, usually takes a cam and sometimes heads as well to get up over there.

If you want an eagle up there then you need air in (intake) the need for it to be there and swallow it up (cam, phaser and heads) and the ability to exhaust it out (headers/mids) as the stock logs are a big choke point.

Modern Muscle
Inertia Motorsports
GTP heads
3rd Strike Performance (gaskets etc)
Johan or AJ for tuning

Good places to start pal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I looked into swapping my 5.7 for the 6.1. To do it right it would have required changing the entire drive line including the rear end. I would also need to upgrade the brakes. I did that anyway even though I did not swap the engine. Wit the new hellcat engine the put out 707hp. I am rethinking the swap make since. I am concerned because air flow is very important with those engines.

I just don't want to be the test case. I am hoping someone else will work the bugs out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts