Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped an intake valve seat on cylinder 5 over Christmas break. So sent the block to be opened up for some .020 oversized forged pistons. Going with H rods and if the head can be fixed a 6.1 crankshaft. Timing chain upgrade, some mild port work and a new intake and some headers. Taking plenty of pictures as I go.

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,567 Posts
This will be a cool project. So with your plans, what is the final displacement and hoped for power rating?

·
Registered
66 Posts
If it is in you budget, you might consider a cam as well since the motor will be out of the car and tore down. it will save u time and money down the road! good luck with ur build, keep us informed!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If it is in you budget, you might consider a cam as well since the motor will be out of the car and tore down. it will save u time and money down the road! good luck with ur build, keep us informed!
Was looking into a cam with my simular set up. Do you have any video of your car??? Love to hear how that thing sounds!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at the JBA headers, how do you like them? Are they thick, do they leak? How is the sound and clearance?
I don't expect a lot of improvement right now. The final displacement with .020" oversized pistons should bump it from 345 to 353, the 6.1 crank is exactly the same stroke. The lighter weight of the components will have an affect on the power curve but I imagine it will be very slight. The biggest change should come from the increase in flow from some light polishing of the ports and the headers. However with forged internals the motor will be ready for a supercharger and serious low end torque gains.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I was looking at the JBA headers, how do you like them? Are they thick, do they leak? How is the sound and clearance?
I don't expect a lot of improvement right now. The final displacement with .020" oversized pistons should bump it from 345 to 353, the 6.1 crank is exactly the same stroke. The lighter weight of the components will have an affect on the power curve but I imagine it will be very slight. The biggest change should come from the increase in flow from some light polishing of the ports and the headers. However with forged internals the motor will be ready for a supercharger and serious low end torque gains.
The headers sound good but were a pain in the ass! I used OEM gaskets after the ones they give you. :buttkick: but the OEM make a better seal and the clearance is good. Its about a 8 hour job if done correctly. SRT headers will do fine as well if you can find a pair used... I also have HHP high flow cats and a loudmouth 2 cat back exhaust. Here is a clip from my crap phone on a cold start up...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have a block bored over .020 back from the machine shop. The heads are done as well with all new intake seats. So were ready to fit some pistons and rings in the holes and find a 6.1 crankshaft.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Make sure you use a 6.1 pulley and change out the oil pump. Will help while the motor has the 6.1 upgrades and was advice given to me my Mopar tuner Hemi 31. Great tuner in New York. Sounds like the project is coming along..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure you use a 6.1 pulley and change out the oil pump. Will help while the motor has the 6.1 upgrades and was advice given to me my Mopar tuner Hemi 31. Great tuner in New York. Sounds like the project is coming along..
I plan on the mellings oil pump, and the 6.1 dampner but now I question if my pulley will fit that dampner, thanks Ill need to know. :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No updates right now, medical issues with my daughter have taken priority. My estimates are around July before I will be able to get back to this. Thank you, stay tuned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally getting back at this, thank God for my 97 Dodge getting me through the rough times running like a top. I got the 2618 Forged Manley pistons and H 4340 Forged rods with total seal rings. It took a long time to get the pistons because they said they didn't have 20 over pistons in stock, but I spent that time getting the ARP main studs installed. Piston to side wall clearance came in between at about .0043", I wouldn't normally be nervous about that but the skirt on the 5.7 Hemi is really short and I was hoping to keep MDS. That might be a very bad idea when you consider heat will be my best friend in reducing piston slap. I guess I'm going to try it anyway and I'll be sure to let you know how much slap I get and if it slaps during MDS activation. I can always deactivate it later. I try and post pics of the rods and pistons and my evil cool looking Detroit diesel green paint job on the block.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your final results. I also dropped a piston about 2 years ago in my 5.7. I went with a refreshed engine heads and a mild cam. Then the speed mod bug hit and and I ended up getting a bunch of 6.1 parts with an SRTmax cam. Couldn't be happier with the results.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Have you had it dynoed? wondering what kind of power that would make

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Finally getting back at this, thank God for my 97 Dodge getting me through the rough times running like a top. I got the 2618 Forged Manley pistons and H 4340 Forged rods with total seal rings. It took a long time to get the pistons because they said they didn't have 20 over pistons in stock, but I spent that time getting the ARP main studs installed. Piston to side wall clearance came in between at about .0043", I wouldn't normally be nervous about that but the skirt on the 5.7 Hemi is really short and I was hoping to keep MDS. That might be a very bad idea when you consider heat will be my best friend in reducing piston slap. I guess I'm going to try it anyway and I'll be sure to let you know how much slap I get and if it slaps during MDS activation. I can always deactivate it later. I try and post pics of the rods and pistons and my evil cool looking Detroit diesel green paint job on the block.
Glad to see some progress. As far as MDS I'm thinking you will be deactivating it. Green block huh. This I have to see!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts