Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between a 5.7hemi 2005 with coils and spark wire vs just a 5.7 hemi with both coil pack is is the same engine ? Same heads what’s the difference?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking. It sounds like you already know the difference.

It is the same engine, only the valve covers and wiring harness are different.

Some people think the engine bay looks neater without the wires. It's certainly a cleaner, more elegant solution.

They make conversion kits for '05s if it's really important to you.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You're talking about Chrysler's failed Wasted Spark System that fires one plug on the other cylinder bank (when on its exhaust stroke) at the same time it fires the one the coil is sitting on. Obviously they figured it out and in 2006> they did away with that and put one coil over both plugs per cylinder. Many folks have removed the "rat's nest" over the top of the engine and gone with Taylor Shorty wires which replace the wire that went over the top of the engine with a short one that connects to the other spark plug on the cylinder that the coil is sitting on. This makes it exactly like the later models, just not as "clean" looking. I have an 05 Hemi LX and first made my own shorty wires and later, after I bought my 06 Hemi Jeep and Hemi 300CSRT8, I decided to completely change it over to the same system as the 06's, if for no other reason than everything (in the ignition system) is now interchangeable between all 3 vehicles. At the same time I installed Sultans of Spark (SOS) high output coils on both the LX and Jeep. I left the SRT ignition coils completely stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts