Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 300C with about 67,000 miles on it in Miami Fl. The other day I went to start it after a brief stop and it sounded like metal broke loose inside and it conked out. I tried restarting a few times but it didn't sound good so I took it to a mechanic.

He says possibly a valve seat came loose inside but wouldn't know until he opened up the heads. He said if it could be fixed it would be a minimum of $2,000 and possibly more.
He also said a rebuilt Jasper engine would cost $7,700 installed.

I have put a lot of $ into this car, $10,000 stereo, rims etc., so I don't want to just let it go. But if it's not worth it I may have to.

What are my options at this point?

Should I:
Rebuild the engine?
Get a new rebuilt engine?
Order an upgraded engine?
Is the 6.1 SRT8 engine able to replace the 5.7?
Any suggestions on where to go in Miami, FL?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan

·
Registered
424 Posts
if it were a Chevy Citation, I'd say scrap it...but this is different. don't look at it as engine failure...look at it as an opportunity. Put a nice stout motor in that bad boy, it'll only compliment the work you've done thus far...trust me :D

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Not sure where to go but i hear AMP is a very good shop and they specailize in hemi's and a 6.1 will fit nicely between the fenders
Ditto. The guys at AMP (Scott & Jon) are good honest guys. They shouldn't be too far from you. Give them a call and talk about options. If they could fix the head and get you back on the road for cheap, they would do it without forcing you to do a motor swap. Sometimes dropping a valve is pretty catastrophic, so if you do need a rebuilt motor, they could put you into a better setup than a stock replacement.

954-519-5800
[email protected]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll give AMP a call on Monday.

My car is sitting at a mechanic right now. They said there is no compression on cylinder #6. If I take the car out now it would be $113. If they pull the heads off and diagnose the damage it will be $500 if I decide to take it out after that. I told them to hold off until I decide what to do. Should I just take it out now and take it to AMP, or just have them go ahead and diagnose the damage?

·
Registered
424 Posts

My car is sitting at a mechanic right now. They said there is no compression on cylinder #6. If I take the car out now it would be $113. If they pull the heads off and diagnose the damage it will be $500 if I decide to take it out after that. I told them to hold off until I decide what to do. Should I just take it out now and take it to AMP, or just have them go ahead and diagnose the damage?
Pay the $113 and get your car back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
424 Posts

It's too bad you and a few of your buddies couldn't get together and yank the motor :( saves a ton in labor

·
Registered
434 Posts
IF it were just a valve seat I would pull the one head with bad valve. Then inspect the piston to see if it is damaged. If not damaged I would replace the head. IF the piston has a minor dimple it still might be ok I have seen worse. However if heavy denting and / or broken it is time for a new engine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, car was put on a flatbed yesterday and headed to AMP in Pompano Beach... Once he opens it up i'll know more about what we're lookin at... I'll update soon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are pics of the bad head & cylinder.

Bad Head.jpg

Bad Cylinder.jpg

·
Registered
434 Posts
Valve stem broke. Why? Perhaps the seat came out jammed the valve head against the head/seat and piston causing the head to pop off. I still would consider the valve seat dropping out as basic cause. Now why did the seat come out. Improper machine fit between the shrunk/cold seat and head on installation. Defect from manufacturing would be my best guess.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The 5.7 have been known to drop valve seats. From what I've heard around heat seems to be the cause of failure. Being this time of the year doesn't surprise me if it is a valve seat. Just wondering do you have a 180 T- Stat?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah it looks like it dropped the valve seat. It doesn't look like it's worth it to even fix, as the engine would have to be pulled anyways, and the other 7 cylinders would still be at a risk.

I am looking into options of dropping in another 5.7 or maybe a 6.1 in there.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Where oh where did that valve seat go?! Bugger... Yep it looks like it dropped... You could pull the piston and hone the cylinder, new piston and rings... Redo or replace the head and carry on... Or now would be a great time for a stroker motor?

Btw... The tstat is not the root of that problem...

·
Registered
193 Posts
180 T isn't the cause,, combustiion heat and poor manufacturing tolerance is the basic cause.
180 T-stat seems to prevent this from happening never said it caused it. Was just trying to see if he's at stock temperatures which are very hot from the factory.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts