Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I bought the Predator, installed the 93 octane +CAI tune before dropping it off at the body shop for hail damage 2 weeks ago. Was playing around with the data viewer today to see how my logged data came out.

2006 300C, 5.7 Hemi. K&N CAI, Blastin' Bob's 5db pipes with resonator delete. 20" wheel and tire upgrade (see below), car was absolutely empty except for me, 93 octane gas.

On the 'tune, had the r20 release, had to make the DCX upgrade, made the shift points firmer but not higher, adjusted the tire size (by tire size, not height measurement--when I adjusted by height measurement and drove at steady speed, my MPH was off by 4mph according to my gps, when I re-set it by the tire size, it was dead on), lowered the fan settings, set the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculating) to OFF, upped REV limits, upped top speed limit, re-set the TCM,

but did NOT screw with knock sensor, spark advance, MDS or O2, or ESP (though I did turn it off via dash switch for the runs), and did not touch WOT Fuel, though I am dying to if someone in the DFW area is willing to help me...hint hint.

I found a secluded area, very level and smooth asphalt, and ran 1/4 mile runs in both directions a total of 7 times, letting her cool down in-between. Ambient temp was 73 degrees, by the way.

Fired up the data viewer today, and by zooming in to the highest zoom level and beginning my "clock" at the point that the car transitioned from 0mph to 1mph, and stopping it at the point where it clicked from 59mph to 60mph, I averaged 4.729 seconds for the 7 runs.

Now, bracing myself for an onslaught of "you're an idiot because..." responses (and I hope you all are kind in your replies, as I have requested more than once, "hey, how do I figure out my 0-60 time once I get a magic Predator?"), I ask those of you smarter than I will ever be the following:

1. did I do something wrong here, or is it actually possible that I have a 4.7 second 0-60 car now?

2. if I have screwed up either my settings or how I am reading the data viewer, short of going to a dragstrip (which I cannot afford at this time), what should I do differently to get pretty-damn-close numbers?

Many, many thanks in advance, my friends.

Pete

·
Registered
771 Posts
Don't know how you got that number for 0-60? We have an 08 Charger R/T with K&N, Corsa's and predator tune and so far the best 0-60 has been 5.7 on the evic timer with a 91 performance tune. Let me know when you figure it out!:biggrin:

·
Registered
390 Posts
My best is 5.12 secs with a stock SRT Design Group (5.7L), based on the EVIC timer. I don't have any idea how well the method you're describing works. Another way to measure would be to use a video camera against your digital speedometer. You can then measure the time displayed on the video against the speedometer movement.

Out of curiosity, what was your launch technique?

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
for all the doubting thomas' out there,get a friend with you with a camcorder and a stopwatch and do it then show them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not using the evic...using the predator datalogging

it's a 2006, so the evic doesn't have the 0-60 functionality anyway, and any "press start...then drive like hell....press stop" kind of thing would naturally result in some weird results.

When you set the Predator up to "data log" it begins "recording" for about ten minutes (you can pick a small handful of parameters, in my case I selected mph and rpm). What I did then was download the data logging into the predator "dataviewer" software which puts the information on a x/y graph which you can view, zoom, etc.

I scrolled through to the points where I ran my runs, zoomed in to the highest point of zoom, then found the moment where my mph transitioned from "0mph" to "1mph" and wrote that down as my "begin point." I scrolled down the graph until the mph just transitioned from "59mph" to "60mph" and wrote that down as my "end point" and subtracted begin from end.

One example was a begin point of 5:58.362 for the transition of 0 to 1mph, and 6:03.102 on the datalogging data for the 59mph to 60mph transition, for a (potentially erroneous?) 0-60 of 4.740 seconds.

Now, I am by NO MEANS "bragging" or boasting or anything like that...certainly not posting this up to say "woohoo, lookit me, I have 4.7 second 0-60 times, so suck it!"

What I am doing is saying, "uh guys...and ladies...I think I am doing something wrong, please help me, 'cause I don't think this is possible."

That "something wrong" may be mis-reading the dataviewer, or who knows what. OR, maybe I have one kickass mutant of a 5.7L Hemi that was unleashed somehow, and the karma gods just decided I've had a long enough string of bad luck and it was time to shine on my miserable self.

Who knows.

As for launch technique, based on months of reading this forum and the lxforum, I'd been practicing a lot to minimize wheelspin, ESP off (of course). Got virtually identical results with full auto and autostick by short-shifting 1-2, then banging 2-3 at about 5,300 RPM, and 3-4 at about 5,300 RPM again for the 1/4. Not really sure where 60mph comes in with that mess. If there are 5,000 members on this forum, it's likely that there are 4,500 better drivers than me, though, I just pay attention to what I read.

Thank you in advance for the help, friends.

Pete

·
Registered
45 Posts
Since you started at the transition from 0 to 1 MPH (avg 0.5 MPH), it would have been more fair to take the @ 60 measurement from the transition between 60 and 61 MPH (avg 60.5MPH), rather than from the transition between 59 and 60 (avg 59.5 MPH) so the delta between the two measurements is still 60 MPH. Any digital measuring device has at least +/-0.5 LSB of error, so the transition between any two digits (LSBs) typically occurs half-way between. The way you measured it, you essentially measured your 0-59 or 1-60 time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Diablosport guys, a little help here?

Since you started at the transition from 0 to 1 MPH (avg 0.5 MPH), it would have been more fair to take the @ 60 measurement from the transition between 60 and 61 MPH (avg 60.5MPH), rather than from the transition between 59 and 60 (avg 59.5 MPH) so the delta between the two measurements is still 60 MPH. Any digital measuring device has at least +/-0.5 LSB of error, so the transition between any two digits (LSBs) typically occurs half-way between. The way you measured it, you essentially measured your 0-59 or 1-60 time.
Interesting.

Unfortunately, when you zoom in to the tightest level of measurement, it only "zooms" to smaller increments of time, not of percentage of MPH...

Your post confused me at first, but now makes sense...uh I think.

If I were measuring 0-10, how many MPH are we talking about:

0-1 1mph
1-2 2
2-3 3
3-4 4 mph
4-5 5mph
5-6 6mph
6-7 7mph
7-8 8mph
8-9 9mph
9-10 10mph

um, oops...wouldn't your example suggest that I'd have to measure 0-11mph, which would be 11 mph if you count them?

No, wait a minute, your post doesn't make sense to me now...I guess I'm not "getting" how my measurement of 60 "changes" from one MPH to the next higher MPH isn't 0-60.

Hey, Diablosport guys, how about chiming in here???

Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting.

Unfortunately, when you zoom in to the tightest level of measurement, it only "zooms" to smaller increments of time, not of percentage of MPH...

0-1 1mph
1-2 2
2-3 3
3-4 4 mph
4-5 5mph
5-6 6mph
6-7 7mph
7-8 8mph
8-9 9mph
9-10 10mph

um, oops...wouldn't your example suggest that I'd have to measure 0-11mph, which would be 11 mph if you count them?

No, wait a minute, your post doesn't make sense to me now...I guess I'm not "getting" how my measurement of 60 "changes" from one MPH to the next higher MPH isn't 0-60.

Pete

I'm very new here, green as can be. I love fast cars and racing, but am only just starting to learn about all of this. However, I am quite the math guy... I beleive what he is saying, in a nut shell, is you essentially started your time at 1mph, and stopped it at 60mph, which is not a true 0-60 time. Close, I'm sure, but try your same method, and rather than getting your end time at 59-60mph, stop it at 60-61mph.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had a 350bhp Wrx with 4x4, lowered suspension and this thing launched right was incredably fast the best I got 0-60 was 4.3 secs, I can't see a std 300c doing 4.7, I doubt my 460bhp 300c would get under 5 secs, there is just too much power going thru the wheels to launch that fast...not argueing just making a comment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Interesting.

0-1 1mph
1-2 2
2-3 3
3-4 4 mph
4-5 5mph
5-6 6mph
6-7 7mph
7-8 8mph
8-9 9mph
9-10 10mph

Pete
Since you are presuming that when the indicator rolls from 59 to 60 is the instant your car achieves 60.000MPH, you must also presume that when the indicator rolls from 0 to 1 is the instant your car achieves 1.000MPH. Thus your calculation of delta-time between those two points in time does not include the time it takes your car to go from 0.000 to 1.000MPH, thus your "measurement" method is in error.

In your case, since it is impossible to know exactly when your car begins to move (0.000MPH) based on your available data, it is also impossible to make an accurate flawless measurement of 0-60 time. So the next best thing you can do given the available data is to calculate the 1-61 time. It's not a scientifically accurate measurement of 0-60 time, but it's a whole lot closer than the 1-60 time. I'm not claiming this explains your car's apparently awesome performance, it very well may be quicker than most. All I'm pointing out is your method for calculating 0-60 time given the data you have is flawed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
0-60

Let me start by saying I AM NOT RUNNING THE DIABLO. So exactly what you're looking I can't say. what I do know is this:

You can't manually, that is to say push a button on a tuner or a stop watch to start a timer. Granted the human nervous system is amazing, but to get your eye, hand, ass and head all wired to clock something like this is impossible. You simply can't get an accurate reading.

Starting a timed run after the car has already started to roll isn't right either. Saying to start from 1 and go to 61 isn't going to cut it.

What I use for 0-60MPH timing is either the SuperChip or, mostly, the G-Tech. The 2 of these when run side by side vary UP TO .03 seconds. Neither of them require me to do anything other than drive the car. You tell them you're about to do a 0-60MPH run, there is a brief pause while they ready themselves and then you launch after they say they're ready for you to launch.

There are those who may question even these methods. I've ran the G-Tech at the dragstrip on numerous visits, multiple runs each time. One of 2 things happens, it's either WILDLY inaccurate or within +/- .008 of the timeslip. I never used the SuperChip at the track. Having that thing crawl up your leg is distracting.

Granted a timeslip doesn't give you 0-60MPH. It gives you 0-60'.

If you're getting 0-60' at 4.7 then you really need to work on your launch.

If you are truely getting 4.7 on 0-60mph then I need to scrap everything i've put into my car and start over. I can get 5.1 at best and 5.2 fairly consistently.

I've got another couple months until I drop in a cam. After that I'm hoping to get 4.9-4.8.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Starting a timed run after the car has already started to roll isn't right either. Saying to start from 1 and go to 61 isn't going to cut it.
Fair statement, as measuring from 1-61 to estimate 0-60 works only if you assume that the time it takes the car to go from 0-1 MPH is the same as from 60-61 MPH, which in reality is not the case either.

Probably a better way would be to plot the data, MPH vs time, and then project (extrapolate) backwards from the first few data points (1-5 MPH tics) to estimate when the car began moving (0.0 MPH) then compute 0-60 time. However, once again this is only good if you assume that the moment the indicator rolls from 59-60 is the instant the car achieves 60.000MPH. As I've stated before, EVERY digital indicator has AT LEAST +/- 0.5 LSB of error, or in this case, +/- 0.5 MPH. So, unless you know how the Diablo calculates MPH and creates the data, you have to assume that the instant the indication rolls from 59-60 the car could be going anywhere between 59.5 and 60.5 MPH.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My best is 5.12 secs with a stock SRT Design Group (5.7L), based on the EVIC timer. I don't have any idea how well the method you're describing works. Another way to measure would be to use a video camera against your digital speedometer. You can then measure the time displayed on the video against the speedometer movement.

Out of curiosity, what was your launch technique?

INEEDMOREPOWER.... I wonder what EVIC timer you are speaking of. I have an 08' SRTD, and am wondering how I can time my 0-60 w/o the SRT8 timer.... Is there a screen I'm missing in the EVIC... maybe you can PM me, or reply. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
390 Posts
INEEDMOREPOWER.... I wonder what EVIC timer you are speaking of. I have an 08' SRTD, and am wondering how I can time my 0-60 w/o the SRT8 timer.... Is there a screen I'm missing in the EVIC... maybe you can PM me, or reply. Thanks a ton!
Hehe - you're in for some fun. Check out the thread here:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ge...ns-screens-meanings.html?highlight=evic+timer

I believe '08 SRT8s also add a quarter-mile timer. Not sure if it's there on the '08 SRT Design Group or not, but let us know!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
how's this time????????

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
back on...

Back on topic,

I believe it is doable in a 5.7, but you're going to have to have perfect conditions, perfect tune, perfect launch, etc.

There's plenty of torque there, especially with the Diablo to disable Hal's nannies, but these big boats are very tricky to launch.

I say start the testing!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
:laughing: Looks about average... for launching on ice! :nono:

Oh, shoot. Did I ruin your fun? :sad6:
i wasn't on ice or water. i guess my new heads, cam and headers are a little much for the tires. thanx fun spoiler. hahaha

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
is this what you were looking for

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
that was an actual run

1 - 20 of 39 Posts