Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

55-58 vibration solved

11894 Views 83 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  rbb2000
:D Just picked CV up 20 min ago, THE VIBRATION IS 100% GONE. Dealer did the exhaust work, I drove at 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 and 60, light throttle, off throttle accelerating and decelerating and I could not induce a micron of vibration, it was billiard smooth and rock solid. It is amazing how annoying this vibe was, it seems to have taken on a life of it's own. I can't tell you how nice it is to have my car back to running as new.

Thanks to all who were persistent in figuring this out and posting the solution. Many of us never accepted "MDS" as the source of this vibe though I suspected the tranny (not water) or gears. Early on , I would never have gussed the exhaust.

The water in the tranny shudder is entirely unrelated to this vibe.

Parts that were replaced: 4581869AG Resonater
4581868AH Muffler
Two 4578363AA Nut
41 - 60 of 84 Posts
Dealer still hemming and hauling. Says with no TSB he can not do the work. Needs approval from Regional Manager. If the regional manager is not familiar with this and does not hear about it from his other dealers - he will say no. I gave them the info to look stuff up but ... no TSB. How did others get the delerships to buy in. Screaming will not work with my dealer. He said he will get back to me tommorrow.

Bob
Bob,
My dealer is the same way. You'd think they could take their heads out of their rear ends long enough to catch a whiff of reality. They service cars...don't you think they could see it fit to learn a thing or two? I am constantly surprised by how little these folks seem to know about the cars they service. Or at least how much they pretend not to know. I haven't even bothered to talk about the exhaust resonance with them until a TSB comes out. It will be like asking a brick wall out on a date. FRUITLESS.
I used to manage a dealership. Now I run a fleet of cars for business purposes. Here is my advice:

When you bring your vehicle to service or you phone, you go to a "service advisor" . These people are not technicians and if it doesn't come up quickly on their monitor, they usually are unable to help.

The person you need to get to know and meet with is the service manager. He has the knowledge and access to tech data at DCX and the authority to deal with an issue like the exhaust resonance problem.

If you have done all this and the service manager is not helpful or knowledgable - then take your car to a different dealership and find a service manager who can help you.
Gee, I brought the info to my service advisors attention. He responded that they would have to get authorization once they verified the info on STAR. He called me back that afternoon and said the parts have been ordered. I have an appointment on Monday for the installation.

I agree with the others. Go to the Service Manager. Be firm but not condescending.
Vibration/drone At 55 Mph

Just got DESIREE back last evening after having the fix done.
I had to wrangle with the SM several times, but with info provided by this forum that I gave him, he finally caved in (read: got off of his lazy butt!) and took care of the problem. I hope anyway. Haven't had the chance to cruise at 55 and test it out yet.
The stealership's invoice says "Install S/O updated muffler & resonator", and it lists (4) parts. I only had time last night to peek beneath the car for a few seconds. I could see the welds and spring bolt all as pictured previously by 'moddog'.
Interestingly, there is a big, bright orange label stuck to the invoice that says "IMPORTANT You may receive a questionaire from Chrysler Corp in the next few days. If, for any reason, you cannot grade us with a "very satisfied" please contact your service advisor or the service manager" (name and phone number excluded) "THANK YOU"
As is my policy, I simply trash these self-serving questionaires. I simply EXPECT to be "very satisfied". It's part of their job! And when I am not I just keep driving them nuts until I get, at least, satisfied. Such was the manner with this problem. They had the car for another problem and satisfied themselves at that time that there was no vibration. I came away from that episode feeling as if I had been lied to (NOT VERY SATISFIED AT ALL!). Subsequently I had to TAKE the SM for a ride. And he didn't feel it. Then I hit him up with info from this forum. Then he got off his dead butt.
So keep on hammering on these guys/gals (oops, let's not go there) until you get satisfied.
See less See more
All, thanks for the advise. I am talking direct with the SM. They have been helpful some what in the past but they take their own time. The head technician who rode with me said he felt the problem. The issue I have is that this is my third dealership. The one I bought my car from sold their Chrysler piece off. The delareship they sold it to is a mega Jeep now Chrysler dealership and works off volume. Everytime I went to them they said all is fine no matter what the problem was. I settled in on this dealership about 6 months ago. They have tried but are smaller and the less of two evils if you know what I mean. Do not want to change again. I am also back to them for a third time for brake problems. They have one guy who is very good but the other techs suck.

Bob
The SM is who I deal with. In fact, the service writer I used to deal with is no longer with the dealership since I complained that she read me my owners manual about wheel care and said I was using harsh chemicals on my wheels causing them to corrode. We had words, now the SM deals with me personally. He is a nice guy, but he is likes Bob's SM. He drove my car at 85 MPH and "didn't feel" the vibration on braking that is so prevelant that it's all you can feel. Dead Butt...tha's an unfortunate condition for an SM to have. I can't imagine getting him to feel the 55 MPH resonance, which is downright subtle compared to my braking problem.
Had the exhaust replaced today. Boy, what a difference. It is as smooth as a babys a--. The extra added attraction is that there were no scuff or grease marks on the car.

It makes all the difference when you get a good dealer. Of course, greasing the palm every now and then helps. If that's what it takes, I'm happy to do it.
jeepgrady said:
Had the exhaust replaced today. Boy, what a difference. It is as smooth as a babys a--. The extra added attraction is that there were no scuff or grease marks on the car.

It makes all the difference when you get a good dealer. Of course, greasing the palm every now and then helps. If that's what it takes, I'm happy to do it.
You had to grease a palm!?
SHAME! Say it isn't so! That's stooping to their level.
I had mine done last Wednesday. No grease involved.
I didn't grease it today, but I have in the past. Believe me, it helps. They take my car and park it away from all others, and give me royal service. Sure we shouldn't have to, however, think about it. We tip waiters in a restaurant just for bringing us food. Chance are, you won't ever see them again. Yet, we will take our $40,000 vehicles to the same entity over and over and want everything to be perfect. A little grease always helps, ( as long as it isn't on your carpet/doors).
jeepgrady said:
I didn't grease it today, but I have in the past. Believe me, it helps. They take my car and park it away from all others, and give me royal service. Sure we shouldn't have to, however, think about it. We tip waiters in a restaurant just for bringing us food. Chance are, you won't ever see them again. Yet, we will take our $40,000 vehicles to the same entity over and over and want everything to be perfect. A little grease always helps, ( as long as it isn't on your carpet/doors).
Yeah well, there's the rub. I just picked 'DESIREE' after she spent the day in the shop having the brake light switch replaced (DTC P0571) and there's a black smog on the headliner like someone had a dirty thumb and did a test drive with the window down and their elbow out the window and their hand gripping the upper section of the window frame.
'DESIREE' GOT GREASED!
Glad to hear the "solution" is working consistently! Mine goes in Wednesday to have the exhaust components replaced. I saw them at the dealership and those are some good sized pieces!

My dealer was VERY nice about ordering them. There was no hesitation or debate at all about it. They really seem to want to make a customer happy.

At the same time they are fixing the exhaust "resonance," they are also going to perform the radiator bracket recall and perform the TSB for stiff steering in cold weather. The SM said that the TSB involved a shim kit for the steering column. Has anyone had this done? I am wondering if it is very involved?
kampsvilleboy said:
Glad to hear the "solution" is working consistently! Mine goes in Wednesday to have the exhaust components replaced. I saw them at the dealership and those are some good sized pieces!

My dealer was VERY nice about ordering them. There was no hesitation or debate at all about it. They really seem to want to make a customer happy.

At the same time they are fixing the exhaust "resonance," they are also going to perform the radiator bracket recall and perform the TSB for stiff steering in cold weather. The SM said that the TSB involved a shim kit for the steering column. Has anyone had this done? I am wondering if it is very involved?
Radiator bracket recall, man where have you been :D , that was from last Summer. The stiff steering is from the cold weather, kinda like a manual tranny until it warms up. If there is an approved synthetic PS fluid, that is the way to go, I doubt any shims will help this, "I may be wrong but I doubt it"..Charles Barkley
Yea, I know I've been delinquent on the radiator bracket thing, but I just haven't had the time to waste at the dealership for that until now. As for the stiff power steering in cold weather, I too thought it was a fluid thing but the title of a released TSB:

03/22/05 … 2005 .. #19-002-05 …. Variable Steering Effort In Cold Temperatures .. (3M)

Sure does look as if addresses the problem. The SM at the dealership said it involved a shim kit. I don't know, I hope we're both talking about the same cold weather steering issue as I'd hate to have something "fixed" that doesn't need fixing!
I'll keep that tsb in the vault for the winter, mine was'nt bad at all, I'll wait for your post first to see if it helps.
Our good friend and fellow forum member ResumeSpeed just sent me the TSB for stiff steering in cold temperatures. It is not a shim kit but a repalcement of the steering column boot and grease that apparently gets stiff when its cold. The repair procedure begins: remove the steering column. YIKES :eek: I might put that one off for a bit. I can only imagine the damage they could do trying to effect that procedure...
Well good news. Just took a little patience. Dealer is ordering the exhaust parts today. He thinks he can get them in a day - we will see. Now back for the third time for my brakes at the same service. If not happy with them this time going to take it to my freind who has had a very successful repair shop for 25 years. When I told him my issue, he immediately said something is shifting in the brakes - thats what I have been saying.

Bob
Thank you, no, I'll keep my steering column in the car. Mine was only minor, a little stiffness can be a good thing from time to time.
Dealer told me he ordered the exhaust parts but Chrysler is out of stock now. He says it may be a week or two.

Saga continues
rdmac said:
Dealer told me he ordered the exhaust parts but Chrysler is out of stock now. He says it may be a week or two.

Saga continues
I'm still back-ordered on the parts, as well. :(
41 - 60 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.