Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and could not find an answer. Anyone know if the 6.1 SRT-8 exhaust can be utilized on the 5.7? We are talking 6.1 manifolds all the way back (complete exhaust).

Thanks,

Mr MoPar

·
Registered
25 Posts
GEN XER said:
Someone here did this mod. Keep this thread bumped up and you may get the answer.
The one I bought were cut in front of the resonator.
I bought a 2.5" stainless x-pipe which fitted directly to the headers.
The only thing missing between the x-pipe and the resonator we're two piece of tubing.

The only problem it cause, it is a drowning sound when the MDs switches on.

I corrected the MDS problem with two butterfly valve installed just before each muffler. The valve automatically closed when the MDS switches on. So no drowning sound anymoore.

This is one for sale on Ebay, not the one I used, but is looks like it would do the same thing!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8027827277&sspa gename=STRK%3AMEWA%3APIC

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think Greatwhite is answering as if the question is catback - no? Though his introduction of MDS drone is valid. His solution to that problem may have unforseen possibly negative consequences as far as air/fuel mixture.

The real crux of the matter is are the 6.1 exhaust port shapes and positions the same as the 5.7? Will the 6.1 header flanges, bolt to the 5.7 heads without mods? Will the header ports match the exhaust ports in the 6.1 head. 6.1 port shape is definitely different - whether that is of consequence at the head to header interface I cannot comment without seeing the 6.1/5.7 heads ex ports or flanges of the manifolds/headers side by side.

I have searched my own pictures and can find none to help you. Perhaps a forum header manufacturer or supplier can.

Zilla

·
Registered
25 Posts
[Hi,
For air fuel mixture, I do not think is a problem.When MDS comes on,and butterfly is actived,pressure in exaust line is approximatively same has stock line.I install a inline gage pressure and I read .2 lbs at 2000 rpm.Butterfly is not fully close.It is just what I tink.I check for a wideband , but it is very expensive.
P.S.
With butterfly I can choose agressive sound or wife sound.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The 6.1L Hemi and 5.7L Hemi heads have the exhaust ports in the same locations. The exhaust gaskets for each vehicle line up very well. The port on the 6.1L is a larger "D" shape and will require a matching header or exhaust manifold design. However, if you are putting 6.1L exhaust manifolds on a 5.7L, there doesn't appear to be any blockage going into the manifold from the head. Putting a 5.7L exhaust manifold onto the 6.1L head appears to shave off 10 to 15% of the port(very rough guess from looking at the exhaust ports on my 5.7L hemi in the truck while doing headers and the gaskets that came with my 6.1L Kooks headers that I had at that time).

Todd

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
creative

wow, Great White, a very creative idea to read the back pressure and use a variable butterfly.

I think the SRT8 exhaust is a great idea for performance on a 5.7, but there's no good to using the shorty headers without port work. But the pipes should be great until MDS kicks in.

Solution is good aftermarket headers, SRT8 pipes and call Great white for his soon to be patented noise control!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts