Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First things first, Ive ordered my 300C but do not have it yet to verify my problem below.

Heres my problem, Im looking to replace the org 6x9's. As I was going through crutchfields website, ive selected "my car" and only 1 choice ($199 Bostons) appeared out of the 30 or so choices crutchfield offers. I called thier tech line and sure enough. They told me that the front doors only have 2.7" of clearance and the rears have 3.1" of clearance.

Is this true?, sure the doors could make sense, hitting a panal or something, but whats stopping the rears?, is there a bracket?,

Any help with this would be great. I guess Im kinda hoping that I have to stick to the guidelines for the doors, but maybe be able to remove a "stock 6x9 cardbord eclosure" or something.

Thanks in advance!!

Jeremy

·
Registered
214 Posts
Many would argue that 6.5" speakers will give you better sound. If you are a crutchfield fan, they usually give you the adaptor plates. May open up a ton of other options for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
stratuslover said:
Is this true?, sure the doors could make sense, hitting a panal or something, but whats stopping the rears?, is there a bracket?,
Jeremy,
There's a spacer on the front door 6x9 speakers that you could most likely reuse for your new ones. Best thing to do is to take a door panel off - 4 screws at the bottom, 1 at the door pull, one over map pocket, and the lower pushpins.

Here's a secret on the pushpins - only push the center in a bit, until it snaps. Then you should be able to pull the whole trim pin out, and pull the door panel off. There's 3 push-clips at the top of the door that should just pull straight backwards.

The spacer can be removed w/ 4 screws, and the speaker can be pulled from that. This way you can take the spacer into your audio store & check mounting in-store. Plenty of room down there, since even the big Kicker speakers fit on that spacer.

When you put the door panel back on, pull the center out of the pushpin, and put the outer piece back in the door, then push the center piece in until it snaps flush.

On the rear shelf speakers, the clearance problem would only be if the speakers are extremely deep, and then you could remove the modesty panel underneath if you really wanted to. Again, the bigger-magnet Kicker speakers fit in there just fine on the SRT-8's.

Hope this helps!

By-Tor

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here is my set-up. 6.5" components in the front, just used an adaptor plate, put the tweeters up on top of the dash behind the grate. for the back i have a polk momo 6x9 3 way speakers. They fit fine, the components are polk momos by the way as well. These are the best sounding speakers i have ever heard. I believe crutchfields sales them as well, but they do fit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By-tor,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I wish I had the car right now so I didnt have to bug all you about this, however I really want to have everything when I pick my car up.

Regarding this spacer. Is this spaces purpose to "bring out" the speaker away for the door panel? Im trying to get a better idea of what this spacers looks like. You mention I could use it to check mounting. Sry just a little confused. I know the whole problem right now is the depth of my aftermarket speakers. If I was to take this out and into a store, would I be checking to see if the mounting holes line up? I guess im thinking thats really not important, whats important is that the speaker I installed fits inside the door panel and not "bottom" out on the side of the door. Please elaborate.

Regarding the rear "panel" is this made out of cardboard?, would I be able to cut a circle if the speaker I install is to deep to allow the magnet of the speaker to poke through, instead of removing the whole panel?

Again thanks so much, I almost sold me Kenwood Excelon 6x9's for 6-1/2's.

Slawkins31,

Could you provide me a model number of your Polk Momo 6x9's?, this way I would be able to compare the depth of your speakers with mine and try to determine from that if the speakes I have will fit.

I check all the time for responses, this means alot, thanks again.

Jeremy:biggrin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
stratuslover said:
By-tor,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I wish I had the car right now so I didnt have to bug all you about this, however I really want to have everything when I pick my car up.

Regarding this spacer. Is this spaces purpose to "bring out" the speaker away for the door panel?
Exactly. The door trim inner (plastic trim w/ grille) is several inches deep, if you look at it near the hinges of the door. The spacer puts the speaker up close to the grille, so you don't have such an issue w/ door sheet metal space.

Regarding the rear "panel" is this made out of cardboard?, would I be able to cut a circle if the speaker I install is to deep to allow the magnet of the speaker to poke through, instead of removing the whole panel?
Again thanks so much, I almost sold me Kenwood Excelon 6x9's for 6-1/2's.
If your speaker really is that deep, you could probably use a sharp boxcutter to cut a hole in the panel. But I'll bet you won't have any problems whatsoever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts