Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent some time schmoozing with my dealer (Foothill Ranch Chrysler - Orange County, CA) over the weekend. The manager showed me a list of orders for the 300 - 5 computer screens full! He tells me that the factory has 7 months worth of orders. He tells me that they cannot get any more lot cars...only special orders.

Of his 60-70 orders, only 3 have been confirmed for a build...they were ordered in June! :eek:

He tells me that another local dealer bought 3 -300C's out of state and payed $4350 over sticker just to bring them in to California to sell. As you might imagine, their "addendum sticker" will jack the buyers. Foothill is bumping the price $6950 when the ordered cars arrive.

My dealer told me I was "lucky" to get the first C they sold back in April...NOW I believe him.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding was that when you order, the "addendum" is already in the discussion so you know what your final price will be (they hinted that they might negotiate down from there). ;)

I don't want to be flagged as a closet sales guy for them...I just was flabbergasted about the wait time and wanted to share with those of us lucky enough to already have the car.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I'm sure that's pretty accurate. They are way over their allocation. I ordered a "C" from them in Aug. It's in BX with no build date in sight. I ordered another "C" from a different dealer on 9/21/04 and it's scheduled to ship today per DCX. It's all about allocation

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the guy at Foothill suggested NO MORE ALLOCATION from the factory. That means no more "lot" cars, only ordered units. It is my understanding from some DCX retirees that dealers can get some special treatment while having cars in the queue (based on past performance, special factory owned stores or "favorite son" stores such as minority stores), but for the most part the cars to be built are selected by matching equipment, color, etc. That makes the build cycle at the plant a no-brainer. For example, on Tuesday they will build only black cars in the C configuration.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Are you serious buzzardmountain!?

If I were you I would find a dealer somewhere else that has more allocation. In MN at least I found many dealers willing to order me a 300C at Invoice Price even. (Not one off the lot obviously)

I ordered Aug. 23, and Its suppose to be going on the line this week. Going to call right now for an update.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
buzzardmountain said:
Ordered on 5/25 still in BX status as of today. :mad:
Be strong!! Had mine ordered since late May/early June (some computer problem required a resubmission ofthe order)...went to D1 last week. Yes, this is a low volume smaller rural dealer (they actually sell ATV's as part of their product line and on business cards).

ALLOCATIONS SUCK!!!!!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I don't understand the frustration and experience in patience you guys are putting yourselves through. Go buy a car off the lot. You'll be able to bargain to a price you are willing to accept as long as you have your checkbook in hand.

I sold my old car and bought my 300c the next day here in Los Angeles. Take an inventory of cars available off the lot within a 200 mile radius.

Keep in mind the local dealers around Los Angeles were quoting me $4000 to 9000 over MSRP over the phone. Once I walked in with checkbook ready to make a deal, it was a different story.

If I was able to buy off the lot at reasonable price here in Los Angeles, ANY of you should be able to purchase a 300c this week. There is a black 300c fully optioned less than 2 miles from me right now thats been sitting on the lot for 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
05Hemi said:
Well, the guy at Foothill suggested NO MORE ALLOCATION from the factory. That means no more "lot" cars, only ordered units. It is my understanding from some DCX retirees that dealers can get some special treatment while having cars in the queue (based on past performance, special factory owned stores or "favorite son" stores such as minority stores), but for the most part the cars to be built are selected by matching equipment, color, etc. That makes the build cycle at the plant a no-brainer. For example, on Tuesday they will build only black cars in the C configuration.
This doesn't sound right unless they've totally changed they way they are building them. Over on the BramptonAssembly.com forum, they confirmed multiple times that cars come through the paint process in random colors. They only time they did a complete day of one color was when the paint room was messed up and it couldn't change colors.

As for the ordering of "lot" cars, if this is true, I suspect that the factory put an end to the dealers screwing around with customers by not placing orders in their name, and selling them to the highest bidder. Like Fatchance found out with Ontario Chrysler, they wouldn't even submit his order because it would use up an allocation slot. Many dealers weren't placing customer specific orders until they got past the honeymoon period of selling their "lot" cars with major premiums. Allocation has always applied no matter if it was customer orders or ordered for inventory.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Time and again some of us have said we could not find one on the lot we wanted.

Many are decked out with Nav (I don't want), many with Sirius (I don't want), many with darker interior (I don't want), some without sunroof (I want), and so on, and so on, and so on...

If I wanted to settle for one not made exactly to my tastes, I would have bought off a lot. I want a specific car configured in a specific way...hence the order and the wait.

Not tough to understand...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi Guys, If you guys are willing to travel, there are good amount of C's on the lots out here on the East Coast (Boston area the last time I checked). I don't know what is involved in getting the car shipped but I do know some people in this forum have had it done. I'm sure there are other locations in the country that have C's on the lots as well....Just something to think about

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
jjs said:
If I wanted to settle for one not made exactly to my tastes, I would have bought off a lot.

Not tough to understand...
What is hard for me to understand, is why you would be so reluctant to get a car with more options that you wanted, at the same cost you would be paying for your custom ordered one perhaps this weekend!

The fact that the car isnt EXACTLY what you want is a bargain chip. It was in my case most definitely, and the topic came up multiple time during negotiation. I used it to my favor, and ended up with Protection group 2 which I didn't want. I sure am glad I have it every time I have to parellel park.

Where there is a will there is a way. If you took the time to search dealer inventories, you would find a car suiting your needs or better and be able to make a deal.

Another thing to consider:
The options you have so firmly decided that you don't want, may change over time as you spend time with the vehicle. Hence me adding aftermarket HID eventually and factory Sirius next week.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
rogue said:
What is hard for me to understand, is why you would be so reluctant to get a car with more options that you wanted, at the same cost you would be paying for your custom ordered one perhaps this weekend!

The fact that the car isnt EXACTLY what you want is a bargain chip. It was in my case most definitely, and the topic came up multiple time during negotiation. I used it to my favor, and ended up with Protection group 2 which I didn't want. I sure am glad I have it every time I have to parellel park.

Where there is a will there is a way. If you took the time to search dealer inventories, you would find a car suiting your needs or better and be able to make a deal.

Another thing to consider:
The options you have so firmly decided that you don't want, may change over time as you spend time with the vehicle. Hence me adding aftermarket HID eventually and factory Sirius next week.
Because I didn't want them. Period.

The Nav screen looks like crap in the dash (should have made a pop out screen), Sirius is of no use to me, etc.

Bottom line is it is in D1 now, should be here shortly, is EXACTLY the one I want and actually gave me some time to stash more $$$ for the down pmt.

You have your priorities, I have mine.

·
Registered
294 Posts
rogue - I did exactly what you said. I am in MN and I searched dealers in MN, WI, ND, SD, etc. There was 1...yes 1 car exactly how I wanted it. (which was every option) Black, Dark interior.

Since it was the only one they wanted me to pay sticker. I don't care how much money I have, I will NOT pay sticker. Never have, Never will. So I ended up ordering one at Invoice and have to wait a bit. For me its not a big deal, I have other vehicles to drive. I don't NEED the vehicle, just want it. I ordered Aug. 23 and should be receiving mine before Thanksgiving. I am happy with the wait to pay invoice price. Again its more of principal than anything.

·
Registered
337 Posts
So Rogue, what did you knock off on your 300C price? Where still paying MSRP in Cleveland and there's plenty of C's to buy. Even Edmund's TMV pricing is the MSRP price-the price "others are paying in your area". You must of put down one chunk of a down payment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rogue - Are you referring to searches done via the dealerships' Web sites? Or picking up the phone and making a call?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
The question here is what do we consider to be a good price. To some it's MSRP and to others it's MSRP +. I can only speak of my experience. I've called, searched and visited to many dealers to recall. I've used every suggested method of buying this car. In the end, I ordered what I wanted for the price I wanted. What's the time you are willing to wait for the car worth. For me, it's Approx. $3000.00 under list. The math is simple from here if I paid MSRP, I'm negative $3000.00 just to start. I found three dealers to honor my price, that's it. For those of you who believe it's no problem, it is. Call me cheap, but I can think of a lot better things to do with $3000.00 than give it to the dealer. That's just me and that's what I consider a good price. No dealer in their right ming will sell that car under list off the lot. I tried for months.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Got hell of a deal.....

Hey just wanted to post here.... Just to talk about perseverance.... I am a proud new owner of my new big black behemoth... I myself refused to pay anything above sticker, so i ordered my fully loaded black 300c from a dealer in Northen Cali for MSRP. Searched endlessly in CA and everyone was trying to mark up 4-9 grand and where getting it too.... Anyhow, ordered it June 27, 2004, up to last week still in BX status. I just knew there had to be another deal out there.
well, came across Pat Kittles from Southfield Chrysler had a fully loaded black 300c with all my specs and got it for 1 percent below invoice. I had it shipped from Michigan for like 1300 bucks in an enclosed carrier, still saved thousands by doing this. I am not kidding either.... If this 21 year old can do it so can you!!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
05Hemi said:
I spent some time schmoozing with my dealer (Foothill Ranch Chrysler - Orange County, CA) over the weekend. The manager showed me a list of orders for the 300 - 5 computer screens full! He tells me that the factory has 7 months worth of orders. He tells me that they cannot get any more lot cars...only special orders.

Of his 60-70 orders, only 3 have been confirmed for a build...they were ordered in June! :eek:

He tells me that another local dealer bought 3 -300C's out of state and payed $4350 over sticker just to bring them in to California to sell. As you might imagine, their "addendum sticker" will jack the buyers. Foothill is bumping the price $6950 when the ordered cars arrive.

My dealer told me I was "lucky" to get the first C they sold back in April...NOW I believe him.
Then they should buy mine ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts