Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm the proud owner of a 2013 Chrysler 300C Luxury Edition and I must say that this car is ALMOST perfect.

I love everything about this car with one exception that drives me crazy. The 8.4N Album Artwork / Gracenote database is OUTDATED.
Any album artwork I have on my iPod past the year 2011 doesn't show up on my screen.

This really upsets me considering this car has the Beats Audio Package but yet, something as simple as album artwork doesn't work. I have searched nearly every forum out there and the only active community seems to be the Dodge Dart / Dodge Charger community who is complaining about this issue in their 8.4N receivers.

I hate to complain about this one issue because Chrysler got everything right with the luxury edition 300C. The wheels, the lighting package, the panoramic sunroof, the driver alert system - EVERYTHING pretty much except for the stinkin' gracenote database.

I almost bought a Cadillac for their CUE system (which shows album artwork) but fell in love with the Chrysler because the car is just THAT GOOD.
What stinks is my wife's car is a 2012 Ford Edge and it shows ALL album artwork while my 2013 vehicle DOES NOT!

C'mon Chrysler - someone please address this issue!

·
Administrator
13,060 Posts
Have you talked with Chrysler as well? They normally put out updates to their audio package firmware once a year.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm confused. I thought that album artwork is embedded in mp3 file. Isn't that the case? Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have contacted Chrysler's online help - no such luck. I don't think they consider this as big of a deal as I do.

The album art when hooked up to my iPod (4th gen) does not display album artwork like one would expect.
If I turn off the gracenote option, none of the album artwork will show up.

This may seem minor to most people or it's unique to the vehicle I own? I don't know. As soon as I can get this issue resolved, I plan on telling everyone just how much I love this car. (Because Chrysler really did their homework on this vehicle)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm confused. I thought that album artwork is embedded in mp3 file. Isn't that the case? Or am I missing something?
I'm no expert on this stuff. But I also believed only the Chrysler Mygig radios with built inhard drives have a gracenotes database.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm no expert on this stuff. But I also believed only the Chrysler Mygig radios with built inhard drives have a gracenotes database.
I would imagine that it's got some sort of database embedded considering that in the settings it has "powered by Gracenote" for showing album artwork.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would imagine that it's got some sort of database embedded considering that in the settings it has "powered by Gracenote" for showing album artwork.
My wife drives the 300. So I haven't really went though all the settings. When I get the chance I have to go through all settings. I know there are many album titles that doesn't show artwork on our 8.4. There are also many that doesn't show up, in our I tunes library. When I have a chance I'm going to compare the two to see if there is a connection.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I complained about this issue to Chrysler when I first got my 2012. Their answer to me was that if the artwork is in the Gracenotes database you will see it, if not you won't. They are aware that artwork may be embedded in the music file but whoever did their programming apparently chose not to get the artwork from there (ever). I would think it would make more sense to use embedded artwork, if not found, search the database, if still not found display the generic music note pic -- but I guess Chrysler disagrees.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I complained about this issue to Chrysler when I first got my 2012. Their answer to me was that if the artwork is in the Gracenotes database you will see it, if not you won't. They are aware that artwork may be embedded in the music file but whoever did their programming apparently chose not to get the artwork from there (ever). I would think it would make more sense to use embedded artwork, if not found, search the database, if still not found display the generic music note pic -- but I guess Chrysler disagrees.
I'm quite disappointed with this - one of the key factors of me choosing a vehicle was the fact that I would have a more modern stereo.

Maybe if enough people complained, Chrysler would do something but my take is most people who own a Chrysler either don't care or don't use an mp3 player/iPod device.

Such a shame because I'm the type of person who writes reviews. Not until this crap is fixed.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I'm quite disappointed with this - one of the key factors of me choosing a vehicle was the fact that I would have a more modern stereo.

Maybe if enough people complained, Chrysler would do something but my take is most people who own a Chrysler either don't care or don't use an mp3 player/iPod device.

Such a shame because I'm the type of person who writes reviews. Not until this crap is fixed.
I'm bumping this and any other threads like it. There are literally hundreds of these if you search the web.

I've contacted Chrysler about this as well. The problem isn't having Gracenote. The problem is flawed logic of when and how to use Gracenote. Uconnect 8.4 basically doesn't care if your phone supports sending of album art when streaming bluetooth. It also doesn't care if you imbed your own metadata in your MP3 files on USB or ipod. It only uses Gracenote. If you turn off Gracenote, you turn off any capability to show art work. And the problem is compounded because they haven't issued an update since the ipod playlist fix in 2011.

So did Chrysler think there haven't been any new music created since then?

I hear talk that Uconnect mentions you need a phone with internet connection for it to fully function, but not even sure if that is the case, because my phone has a 4G connection.

Funny how Uconnect is the only system that I've encountered that has this problem.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Agree with the above. The Gracenote implementation is absolutely PERVERSE. If you turn the worthless (IMHO) database off, uConnect ought to use the embedded ID3 tags. No such luck! You have to turn on Gracenote to see any album art at all, and then it comes out of the database (if you are lucky). I've wasted I don't know how many hours fiddling with the tags without success.

I have several CDs of my own mixed-artist tracks, which I ripped to mp3s and embedded my own artwork. Example: I took 11 Alan Parsons albums, with one Eric Wolffson CD, and picked my favorites and put them on 3 CDs, with a montage of 4 album covers each. As God is my witness, the four album covers showed up initially, but have since disappeared and I don't know what the heck I did! Of my Amazon downloads, I'd estimate approximately 50% have album art.

This Gracenote implementation sucks so bad, I can't understand why Chrysler wasted money on it. I want a Gracenote-free uConnect!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Bumping this as I'm planning to call every Monday to check the status of my ticket.
Not expecting much to come of it.

Reactions: TheKrell

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Bumping. I've got an appointment end of the week. Not sure what will happen, but hopefully something has been done about this issue after 3 years.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Bumping as the investigation is still going......don't have much concrete yet, but just letting you know it is still ongoing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm curious to this as well...Chrysler has what I consider to be a fantastic vehicle (300C Luxury is amazing) only to have a fixable solution ruining the whole experience.

I have beats audio in my vehicle. It sounds great....Only to have that experience ruined by lack of album artwork.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
It's been just about a year since I inquired and no fix available or even on the horizon. I was just recently informed the entire software package on the radio is being looked at. I'm not holding my breath however as I was told last year that a fix would be coming.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Hey for the first yestrerday i saw some album art on my radio. I must have come across something that was in gracenotes can you say WOO HOO. It must be magic or something like that for it to happen after owning the car for over a year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I somehow managed to stream beats music through the USB port showing track data when my iPhone was connected to music on the phone. I updated the iPhone to 8.01 it has not worked that way since.
I have no idea how that worked but it did 2 different times.
I read somewhere that an update for 8.4aN was comming but not for 8.4 N that I got in a 2014 300c. One of the reasons I bought the car is the nav system very disappointed about the many different answers I got before I found this was an older sys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts