Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the doors done. Or should I say door...

The object was to get the door as solid as possible. The door was dynamatted previously but now I upgraded from 6.75" speaker to a 8" driver. These speakers are a full 8" across Dynaudio MW170 (there is a 4" and 1.1" in the kick panels with crossovers).

First I wanted an angle (like the factory baffle), I wanted the speaker out a lil from the door (to fit the large magnet) and I wanted it solid as a rock. This angled baffle I made is basically 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF with some 1.25" wood legs on the bottom to make an angle. I filled the open areas in the wood with foam and I added layers of fiberglass to the inside and outside of the foam creating a super strong fiber glasses angled baffle to mount the speaker.

I mounted the MDF baffle to the door with some hot glue to hold it in place, some JB weld and finally I screwed the baffle in place - secured it to the metal doors skin. After the baffle was secured I tried a trick I saw on all the car audio forums using NON HARDENING Modeling clay to reduce vibration and fill any voids caused by the shape of the hole and the door.

The plastic door panel was trimmed a lil to get it to fit over the 8" driver, and a new piece will have to be constructed to flush the speaker to the panel. I have not figured this out yet, but Im sure it will require a lil more fiberglass and the stock speaker cover!

Once I get the system playing again, I will let you all know what I think of the new baffle. So far it looks way better than the last set up I made and the speaker is bigger so it should sound great! If you have any pics or suggestions how to make the cover piece I would appreciate seeing them!

Thank you

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lookin good, wish I could hear it when its done.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the one I love...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Oh shiiiiiiit!!!!!! Thats crazy looking. I was wondering how you were going to get the oem speaker cover back on. You da the man....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Look sick man that is just the best iv'e seen.:fing02: :You_Rock_

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well they are in, and playing. The bass is incredible, sounds like its coming from up front which is awesome! The baffle I built will not budge. No vibration, no rattle, nothing but tight bass.

I really need to get someone to tune my amp I've been me messing around really. I know nothing about Q settings, what frequencies to boost, and how to get them sounding the best.

I will take it to the Dynaudio dealer to play with the laptop program the amp comes with. You plug in your lap top to it, and there is a 11 band EQ with adjustable Q, and frequencies. Its pretty easy to play with, but when you dont know what you are doing makes it tough.

AS far as a trim piece, I might have to have someone do it, looks like alot of work to get the look I want, and I dont have all the router skills to get it done.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dam your the man. That will be in my mod wish list as of today. Congratulations :You_Rock_

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I am done to the fact they are both in, and all speakers are playing. It hammers which is just what I wanted. The baffle I built does not vibrate or move an ounce. Its super strong...

BUT

I need to finish making a trim piece for it... I have the ring, I just need to glass the door panel back together.

Its going to be a pain, and time consuming, but I will figure something out!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Looks like you know what your doing. Please post pics when you figure out the trim, from the looks of your work getting it in I think its going to be awesome! Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately I only look like I know what I am doing LOL I really dont...

Hope it works out, I am not sure where to go from here. I need some sort of glass that will bond to ABS

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice work so far man. I found that fiberglass will stick to anything that has been scuffed with 80 grit sandpaper. If there are problems what you can do is drill holes in the surface and scuff front and back allowing the fiberglass to go through the holes connecting to some fiberglass matting in the back. You can also use felt, tweed, burlap or etc as a base and lay fiberglass on that instead of using fiberglass matting. I prefer the strength of fiberglass matting on my projects, but others like other things too. Good luck and post pics to show others your work if you can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts