Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new guy, but I saw an older post that indicated one could get the 5-speed transmission into the neutral position with the engine off by pressing the start button twice with the foot off the brake to get it into the full-on accessories mode at which point the poster said his car could be put into neutral (going through a car wash for example).

Doesn't work with my 2013 300c with an 8-speed, however. Have tried holding the start button down longer and the shifter button down longer, but neither helped. Once you get the start button into the second position, it turns off the engine at the next touch. With only one touch of the starter button, the central display (annoyingly) shows the position of the transmission in P, but nothing seems to allow me to move it to neutral without being reminded that I need to put my foot on the brake and press start to make the engine go round and round. Only then, can I shift into neutral.

Surely, (and don't call me that) there must be a better way!:sad:

·
Administrator
13,065 Posts
I don't believe there is a better way but I don't have a lot of time or exposure to the 8-spd. Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, If this quote is true from a Mopar Demo video:

"These shifters are a pain in the ass for us technicians at dealerships. It won't let you shut the engine off in neutral, so you have to put it in park when you're trying to position the hoist arms under the car. So if the car is slightly too forward or rearward to hoist up, you gotta get back in, start it and drive it a few inches and try again. It also won't let you out of park unless the engine is running. Not a problem for some people, but it is kinda stupid in my opinion"

That would be crappy. Double check the User Manual, worst case, call up a service manager at a dealer and ask.

The electronic shifter seems to bug a few people. :eek1:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Page 465 of the Owner's Manual talks about "MANUAL PARK RELEASE — 8 SPEED TRANSMISSION (3.6L Engine)"

Directly to the right of the shifter there is a very small storage area, or "console storage bin".

"1. Remove the console storage bin to access the Manual Park Release lever.

2. Using a small screwdriver or similar tool, fish the tether strap up through the opening in the console base.

3. Insert the screwdriver into the slot in the center of the lever, and disengage the spring steel lever locking tab by pushing it to the right.

4. While holding the locking tab in the disengaged position, pull the tether strap to rotate the lever up and rearward, until it locks in place in the vertical position.

The vehicle is now out of PARK and can be towed. Release the parking brake only when the vehicle is securely connected to a tow vehicle."

Of course this is a super pain in the butt and I wouldn't recommend going through this process just to go through an automatic car wash, but it is there nonetheless.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The E shift is probably the biggest factor why I have just bought a diesel rather than the petrol model.
In Australia, the diesel has the old 5 speed with gated shifter that I really like, and the petrol only comes with E shift - unless you buy top of the line, which I can't afford.

I do like the 8 speed transmission. I drove one. But, the inability to choose gears really bugged me. On the original 300C every car got to select gears. I see the E shifter as a bad move by Chrysler. To my knowledge no other car manufacturer uses such a silly thing? The only thing its good for is saving money during manufacturing. Its not good for the driver, and not good for the service guys.

·
Registered
176 Posts
8-speed ZF unit is in many cars. They all have e-shifters. They just look different. Audi and Chrysler sourced shifter from same 3rd party.

I don't understand above comment "inability to choose gears". Base models may not have shift paddles, but for models that do have them, you can pick any gear you want. Problem of not being able to turn off car in neutral notwithstanding (that was bonehead move by someone).

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Page 465 of the Owner's Manual talks about "MANUAL PARK RELEASE — 8 SPEED TRANSMISSION (3.6L Engine)"

Directly to the right of the shifter there is a very small storage area, or "console storage bin".

"1. Remove the console storage bin to access the Manual Park Release lever.

2. Using a small screwdriver or similar tool, fish the tether strap up through the opening in the console base.

3. Insert the screwdriver into the slot in the center of the lever, and disengage the spring steel lever locking tab by pushing it to the right.

4. While holding the locking tab in the disengaged position, pull the tether strap to rotate the lever up and rearward, until it locks in place in the vertical position.

The vehicle is now out of PARK and can be towed. Release the parking brake only when the vehicle is securely connected to a tow vehicle."

Of course this is a super pain in the butt and I wouldn't recommend going through this process just to go through an automatic car wash, but it is there nonetheless.
I was at a car wash and I think the guys thought I kept the key and they were looking to do this until they noticed I had put the key fob in the center storage. I always leave it there and open the thing so they know they can just start the car up.

That's how I found out about this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
8-speed ZF unit is in many cars. They all have e-shifters. They just look different. Audi and Chrysler sourced shifter from same 3rd party.

I don't understand above comment "inability to choose gears". Base models may not have shift paddles, but for models that do have them, you can pick any gear you want. Problem of not being able to turn off car in neutral notwithstanding (that was bonehead move by someone).
I'll clarify my comment, I was talking about the base model which I purchased. I don't have the cash for the upmarket versions with the paddles. :(

I'm happy to have bought the 5 speed, I really like the Mercedes style gated shifter. Had my SRT8 for 3 1/2 years and I'm still not sick of that shifter.

Thanks to the person who explained that Audi has the E shifter. I still think its a cost saving measure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts